• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Precise decal placement

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody know the best way to place decals onto a cube precisely in ADOBE DIMENSION? I've designed an image to the exact specs that match the plane of the cube but no matter what I do it doesn't fill the space correctly, and no amount of stretching and fiddling with the decal gets it to sit correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you make the cube with Extrusions? if so then that is the underlinning issue

for normal decal image a bit of extra space around the outside will allow you to adjust the placement on the model i.e, open it in Photoshop and make the canvas 100 pixels bigger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I  used the exsting cube in dimesnion and just chnaged the size of it. The problem is I have four different decals that need to go on four different sides of the cube. And it needs to go to the exact edges of each plane of the cube. I can't get it exact, it's either too short or it freaks out and creates artifacts spilling over to the othre plane of the cube. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you using the magic wand to split the cude into different materials?

wandwandadd material and decaladd material and decalrepeat as neededrepeat as needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same material just with a different image on the sides. I have pasted a render for you to see. You can see that it doesn't quite line up exactly to the plane. It's a white cube with decals. Also when I place the decals I make them the exact width and height as in photoshop as each plane is meant to be, but it always distorts the image and doesn't bring it in as it's original dimesnions. I have no idea why. Single Box.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if I follow your steps exactly this is the result. I have no idea why it hates me lol1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the white edge is normal and I add blank space around my decals to correct it... distortion is what happens when you try and make decals the exact size i.e, the edges will auto wrap around the edges

also that is not square so a square decal will not fit unless it has blank space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a decal that is the same dimesnion as that side of the cube ie 380 x 270mm. When I place it it distorts as you can see from the image in the reply before this one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you share the Dn file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! Here is a wetransfer link with the Dn file and a jpeg of the image I want to fit on the front section. 

we.tl/t-NGSEjmwnjg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the issue is the way you are trying to use Dimension... it is NOT designed to be exact in its decal placement and you can only adjust them by hand | eye, now you could ague that is a example of bad ui design (and you would be correct) but you want a decal that can be lined up and making a space around the decal image is the way you do it

the way I do decalsthe way I do decals

your file back... the left one has space around the decal and is easy to line up... the right one is yours

I'll save you some time as its out on the right hand side and correcting that is going to make it go out at the top, bottom or left hand side

also note that making it a Jpg turns the blank space into a white boarder but the result is ok as an example

p.s, sorry for taking so long... Adobe is having issues with their servers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for all the help! Hopefully Adobe makes it a bit easier to do decals like this in future updates. But this helped a lot, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines