• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Applying Decals to Surfaces with Holes

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue with Dimension where having imported a 3D model and created UVs, I can successfully apply decals, but I have a problem if the surface I'm applying the decal to has one or more holes in it, as the decal distorts around the hole(s). A typical use case for me is the control panel on an electronic product where I am applying the silkscreen artwork as a decal, and the panel has holes in it for the various controls and indicators.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a decal wraps around the shape that it sits on & that is correct thing for it to do... a material works better when the model has bumps but the best option is to make the surface flat first, then place the decal and finish with your buttons | nobs [holes]

Dimension decal = a computer and I'm sorry if you beleave the marketing hype but computers don't think. your job is to tell Dimension what you need it to do and work out the best way for it to be done

p.s, you can share the files if you want more help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, but I think you've misunderstood my issue as I am applying the decal to a flat surface of a body with holes in it. I don't have this problem on flat surfaces of bodies that don't have holes in them. All the control elements such as knobs and switches are separate bodies and can be made visible or invisible without affecting the issue. I've found that the issue I've encountered is well documented elsewhere in this forum, and it is an inherent problem with Dimension that it doesn't yet have the code to know how to ignore holes in surfaces that a decal is being applied to. I have some workarounds for this issue, but it's something that should be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please use https://feedback.adobedimension.com/forums/552559-adobe-dimension-feature-requests this is the best place to send us feature requests. Your contributions can help us shape the future of DImension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that it doesn't yet have the code to know how to ignore holes in surfaces that a decal is being applied to

we agree on that point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines