Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Wrapping Art

Participant ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JMathews,

I'm trying to figure out a way to wrap labels in a similar way on a cylinder. I have the same issue when applying it as a decal the image stops wrapping around the cylinder. I tried adding the image as a base material, but the controls I have with offset and repeat are very limited and I can't manually adjust the label to fit the cylinder and the image is distorted to be too tall. Are there plans to make the decal function continue to wrap around a surface and any ideas how I can accomplish this?Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 2.02.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-31 at 3.01.16 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

I got your file and have repared the model... however imo you are going about it wrong so I also want to include the way I would do it so you can see the difference;

• 1st the repair = use the magic wand to remove the parts of the model that you don't want the decal to adjust to... your model is the left one and I copied it to wand the right one

imo this still is not going to look correct because your background bottle is an image and there fore 2D... the bottom edge of your model is 3D so will

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. you don't have the options shown in this old thread because they got removed in V3 to dum the software down
  2. no there are no plans to make decal behave like a fill because you already have a fill option
  3. the issue you have is partly caused by the model i.e, the map of the textures
  4. please share the Dn file and I'll take a look at it to see what your options are

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, thanks for the info. 

Below is a link to the DN file. Ideally, I'd like to be able to place the label just like on a real bottle and rotate the label so I can export all three sides. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b93ymu3qndut12u/CBD%20300%20Tincture%20Label.dn?dl=0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got your file and have repared the model... however imo you are going about it wrong so I also want to include the way I would do it so you can see the difference;

• 1st the repair = use the magic wand to remove the parts of the model that you don't want the decal to adjust to... your model is the left one and I copied it to wand the right one

imo this still is not going to look correct because your background bottle is an image and there fore 2D... the bottom edge of your model is 3D so will lift up a bit

magic wand removes part of the modelmagic wand removes part of the model

now the way I would build this;

• I can build a bottle but a quick look on Adobe Stock found a free one that should do the job... its free so I saved myself some time

AdobeStock_205410505AdobeStock_205410505

• now we need a label and I just used the Photoshop wine bottle template to make that

labellabel

• assemble

Dimension assembles itDimension assembles it

your file back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time and help, very useful with the screenshots.

Originally I started this project in PS and everything was going great, it was super easy to turn the label and export the scene I needed. Then somehow the perfect lighting on the label would turn dark and I couldn't get the lighting right again, that's when I switched over to quickly learning Dimension.  In fact, you were part of that discussion too 🙂 https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/3d-cylinder-lighting-problem/m-p/10757666?page=1#M285307

I see you turned the label in your example, did you redo the lighting scenario again and are there any shortcuts to keeping the lighting the exact same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ussnorway, I understand the process now but not sure how you export the label from PS and how you import (assemble) the label into DN. Is there a tutorial for this procedure anywhere online? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so make the label in Photoshop = start with the wine bottle template and just remove everything we don't need

fit the label in Dimension = import them and scale your bottle first. then put the label in the same spot as the bottle and scale it with the number pad {the UI really sucks because its made for | by old people that use Maya a lot}, you need it to be bigger than the bottle to stop clipping and even I sometimes forget that you need the X + Z to match 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get it now - thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines