• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Render texture low res even when using high res decal

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched for a solution to this specific problem, but it feels like a Dimension limitation.

I'm trying to render a large image for a poster (3300 px by 5610 px). I'm using a decal that is very high resolution (10525 px by 7193 px), however, no matter how I scale the cylinder mesh that I've applied it to in Dimension I end up with a pixelated version of my decal.

This screenshot illustrates the issue. On the left is my decal at 100% zoom, and on the right is the Dimension render output using that decal. I hope someone can help. This is very frustrating

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 4.45.14 PM.png

For context, here is the entire image I'm rendering:

Simplicity Render 2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Yes, this has been discussed in a few other posts, but there is a decal resolution limit.  It's a bit complex but essentially it's capped at about 2,000 pixels right now.  In fact due to downressing the image it can actually look worse if you make it larger.  We'll definitely be fixing this in the future, but it's also a complex problem, not a bug, but an architectural/structural thing.  We're working on some core changes which will enable us to improve this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this has been discussed in a few other posts, but there is a decal resolution limit.  It's a bit complex but essentially it's capped at about 2,000 pixels right now.  In fact due to downressing the image it can actually look worse if you make it larger.  We'll definitely be fixing this in the future, but it's also a complex problem, not a bug, but an architectural/structural thing.  We're working on some core changes which will enable us to improve this in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much appreciated! I suspected it may be something like that and as an ex-Product Manager I can completely understand.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue, I understand your answer, but I have seen other artists work with sharp looking labels applied to their work. Is there a tutorial where you can show some tips and tricks on how to overcome this issue? -They probably do it post-render in photoshop-?

Here is an example: https://www.behance.net/gallery/60067005/Frau-Martas-subway-banner 

Thanks so much, I'm new to Dimensions, but I love it so far... except for the rendering issue, other than that, I love it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resolution of all images applied to all models is also reliant on the way the model is built.  There's a system called UVs which maps the 3D model to a 2D layout.  If the 3d artist built the model in a way that a 3D surface takes up only a small portion of the UV space then it gets less resolution applied to it.

So some models might look sharp and some might look blurry, depending on how much 'space' they're allotted in UVs.  Generally you get around this by increasing the texture size (which puts more image data into those smaller spaces).  But right now that's limited in Dimension due to the resolution cap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette, has this issue been fixed yet? Is there a timeline for the release of new dimension version with higher res rendered outputs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it is 2021 and I have this issue? what have you done?! 

I've beeb using dimension for 6 months now. I have never had this problem, but since two days acouple of days ago it just started hapening to my new model. please tell me how to fix this?Adobe dimention.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette

Is it not possible to increase the cap from 2000 px?

Justin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a 4096x4096 solid color image to the material's base color.

Dimension changes the decal's resolution to the material's resolution, so increasing the resolution of the material also increases the decal's resolution.

screenshots: Re: Decal's text looks pixelated when rendered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this, worked well enough for me.

dim_before.pngdim_after.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines