• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is Dimension for?

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I understanding what this app is supposed to do?  Can I not import my own artwork and use that?    I thought that was the whole idea ! !

Please tell me I am misunderstanding.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Hello! Happy to help provide some details on the workflow.  Dimension is an application for working with 3D content and adding your own graphics to it for visualization, advertising, and graphic art creation.  At a high level the workflow is

• Start by bringing in a model (there are dozens available in our Assets panel that ship free)
  • Add materials to get a base look like plastic, metal, gold, etc.
  • Add your own images as textures to the material or as a decal (a graphic which lies over the material).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if by artwork you mean 3d models (wavefront|obj only) or images (jpeg and png) then yes you can use your own,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched the 2 tutorials - nothing explains how to open a jpg within the program and use it.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Dimension supports low-dynamic range images such as .PNG and .JPG as an environment light. To improve the lighting results, Dimension converts them into a 360 panoramic image using Content Aware Fill technology from Photoshop to fill in the missing areas. However, dramatic lighting and shadows are not produced and are best paired with sunlight. Since the images are low-dynamic range, they provide ambient lighting and reflections. However, dramatic lighting and shadows are best created with sunlight.

Lighting in Adobe Dimension CC

Also they can be added as Decals/Logo on 3D object

Apply 2D art to a 3D model |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Happy to help provide some details on the workflow.  Dimension is an application for working with 3D content and adding your own graphics to it for visualization, advertising, and graphic art creation.  At a high level the workflow is

• Start by bringing in a model (there are dozens available in our Assets panel that ship free)
  • Add materials to get a base look like plastic, metal, gold, etc.
  • Add your own images as textures to the material or as a decal (a graphic which lies over the material).

Here's a quick .gif showing how to do both of the material changes.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif+(1).gif

You can add images in multiple ways:

For textures inside of a material you'll start in the properties panel.  Click on the swatch next to the property (color, for example) then drop an image into the window or use the browser link to browse.

To add an image as a decal you can drag and drop from CC Libraries or the desktop.  You can also use the File > Import > Place Graphic as Decal menu option or the action in the actions panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JeanetteMathews  wrote

To add an image as a decal you can drag and drop from CC Libraries or the desktop.

drag an image from the CC library will make it an image i.e, not a vector... is that the only workflow option at this time Jeanette?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  We don't support .ai or .svg vectors natively.  CC Libraries will convert it to a .png.  We hope to add vector support next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i go file open, my OBJ file is greyed out and won't let me select it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats correct... Dimension can't open a obj (or any other object)

Screenshot (169).png

you create a new project then use the 'import' option to bring your custom model in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open is for saved Dimension projects (.dn files).  Use File > Import to bring in content to a scene.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines