• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Why is my illustration (imported from illustrator) not smooth and at the narrow parts on Dimension?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've drawn these flower stems in illustrator with the pen tool, converted to 3d in illustrator and then imported into Dimension. The stems are thinner in the middle and wider at the bottom. As you can see, the widest parts are very smooth but the more narrow parts are not.  They're all weird and jagged.

The drawing shown is at x0.7 scale measuring at 47cm. The narrow parts still stay all jagged when I scale it right down as well.

What is the reason for this? Is it too narrow? Is there a a width threshold Dimension has?

Thanks!Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 12.53.31 pm.png

TOPICS
Creative , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It dificult to say. DId you try to smooting curves and reduce anchor points amount? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its because the Ui map has to wrap around different thickness in parts of the model & that boils down to the way you made it having flow on your pen tool i.e, the pen tool should be set to give a consistant flow or you could cut the model up into smaller parts so the Ui maps don't get stretched as much

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it looks true. Here is model I have from Ai obj.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 154223.png

AresHovhannesyan_0-1657539941415.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this response. I have three anchor points max on these lines. There is only one in the middle + the ends. The lion is smooth. I could just do two anchor points but then I wouldn't get the curve I'm looking for...

Is the only way to just make the stem bigger? It seems like the bigger width the shape is, the less jagged edges there are. I don't want to make them any thicker. Hmmmm!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create the same object with 3d inflate and Revolve feature Illustrator and get cool result for Revolve. Please try. See images that shows the same object in Dimension. On the left is revolved and on right Inflated. The UV map for revolved object looks correct.

Asset 1.pngScreenshot 2022-07-11 213716.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks for the response! It's my first time posting and I'm impressed that I'm getting assistance haha.

So, this is a good lead... but I made a stem with the line + revolve tools and brought it over to dimension where it gave me uneven edges again.

Your example has a varying widths which gives it a smooth curve. It seems like when the curve is only minor like in mine, it gets jagged edges.

Also, with the revolve tool, I can't make the stems curve like in the screenshot I posted, because the revolve tool just revolves everything. Do you know what I mean? Is there a way to revolve the straight line, then lock the shape somehow in revolve and then I can go in afterwards and curve the lines to make them more organic and natural plant-looking?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 11.30.27 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-12 at 11.30.53 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-12 at 11.37.13 am.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I can image you need to create an object but not 2 or more seperate 3d object. The problem is that Illustrator can't export group objects as one merged object. Illustrator can generate different 3d object from grouped and ungrouped objects but for this task it not possible. What you can see on screenshot I have revolved rectangle and then use "Pupet warp" tool for making elastic deformation.

Transform vector graphics using the Puppet Warp tool (adobe.com)

It looks not bad for UV Maps as you can see after importing it into 3d Microsoft viewer. It possible to use Inflate effect but we will get again jagged result.

You need to use other 3d app. If you are interested please review Adobe Substance 3D Modeler Beta for creating organic models. Substance 3D Modeler | Substance 3D Modeler (adobe.com)

Screenshot 2022-07-12 162954.pngAsset 1.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the 3D tool used to live in Photoshop and you had the option to merge or cut models as well as remapping but that all got tossed in the bin when Adobe stickytaped it into Illustrator instead

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I forget to mention Microsoft 3D Paint that allow to draw with 3D brush👍.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines