Hi everyone! Jeanette here, lead product manager for Dimension. It's been a little while since I've had an announcement for the community, but I'm very happy to be able to break the silence on some exciting news.
Today we launched a new application - Adobe Substance 3D Stager! Stager is built by the same team that built Dimension with a shared foundation for some technology while also being a bit reimagined. Where Dimension was a general purpose application that was intended for those new to 3D to learn, Stager is a dedicated scene staging application that is more powerful for professional 3D artists while retaining it's approachability for those learning 3D.
So what are some of the key differences between Dimension and Stager?
- Dimension was more general purpose where Stager is specifically part of the new Substance 3D Collection which offers multiple applications for an end-to-end 3D workflow including modeling, texturing, and staging.
- The rendering engine has been updated and reworked to the Adobe Mercury Rendering Engine. This engine is multi-technique, including both real time and ray tracing in a single engine. It is built with entire new infrastructure for modernizing techniques, improving performance and scaling to be available on more hardware.
- Stager's material system has been updated for a new version of the Adobe Standard Material definition with tons of new effects like displacement, subsurface scattering, dispersion, clear coat, sheen, anisotropy, and more.
- Stager includes a variety of general new staging features including collision based layout, multi-camera resolution outputs, physical lights, and much more.
What does this mean for Dimension?
- Dimension will continue to be available as part of Creative Cloud All Apps plans - there is no change to it's availability! To see Dimension Creative Cloud desktop go to settings > apps > and enable "Show older apps" setting.
- Dimension doesn't have any major planned releases right now - we'll be putting new features into Stager, but we will provide support updates for Dimension!
- You can open Dimension files in Stager to take advantage of all the new features - also try Stager out for a full 30 day free trial!
Want to learn more about everything? Check out some of these resources:
We're really excited about the opportunity to build a new family of 3D applications that work seamlessly to provide an end-to-end experience for modeling, texturing, and staging 3D models and scenes and we hope you enjoy the new Substance 3D Stager app!
Thank you for all who participated in using the public beta during this time and for the exceptional feedback provided to the team! We’re continuing to develop our rendering solutions including in-app, cloud, and automation offerings and you can expect more rendering news in future releases.
To learn more, see Cloud Render (Beta)
We have received several reports where some individuals in the community are posing as Adobe Employees. These individuals are falsely representing who they are to gain your trust, and possibly access to your computer or personal information by offering to help troubleshoot issues.
Here are 3 Easy ways you can identify Adobe Staff:
➊ All Adobe Staff have a RED ADOBE BADGE below their profile picture and an Adobe logo after their username. This staff badge is visible on Adobe Staff profile pages, original posts and reply threads.
➋ Genuine Adobe emails are always email@example.com
➌ Adobe Staff will never ask you to share your passwords or sensitive information in the Adobe Community. Adobe employees will always direct you to communicate through an official Adobe channel to set up support sessions.
Report abuse or suspicious behavior to: firstname.lastname@example.org