• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OBJ library?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to create a library of OBJ files - so, OBJ, MTL & MDL, and the image asset folders, all in the same folder - Dimension says it doesn't recognize those file types?

TOPICS
Import and export , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Obj & Mtl go together in the same level then assets such as textures should be in their own folder... Don't use older file types such as Bmp or Tif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the response - I'm not sure how BMP and TIF files came into the conversation, though.

The files are in their normal configuration, as noted above - OBJ and MTL files, as well as Dimension's MDL files, all in the same folder - texture assets are all in their own folders, natureally, though I neglected to list that. 

If you buy a Dimension asset on Adobe Stock, download it, and extract it, these files are in exactly that configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. the Mdl file type is set by Nvidia and they made the world standard that everyone {including Dimension} uses
  2. if you got the file from Adobe Stock then the textures themselves should be Png files... Png is a standard which replaced Bmp and Tif files which will cause a crash if you try to use them in Dimension
  3. now the way you bring Obj files into Dimension is to make a canvas first then use the import option... point it to the Obj file

Screenshot (3431).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Did not know that, thank you. None of the other 3D applications I use have ever made use of, produced, or asked for one.

2. I'm still not sure when image file formats have to do with the question. I'm not trying to import images - except incidentally, as textures, I know how textures work, I know what graphics file formats are, and while the idea that Dimension will _crash_ if it encounters an older file format is shocking, it's not relevant - I'm not trying to import BMP of TIF files.

3. Again, thank you, but I'm not trying to import objects - I know how to do that. I'm trying to import numerous OBJ files into a library.

I want the preview panel with the "Starter Assets" and "Libraries" options to show my own assets, purchased on Adobe stock, or created, as well.

I want to be able to create "Libraries" of locally stored assets - models, textures, materials, light set-ups, backdrops, etc.

When I go to import .OBJ, MTL, and .MDL files into a new library, Dimension says the file formats aren't recognized. https://learn.maricopa.edu/files/61269769Adobe_Dimension_File_Error.jpg

(by the way - the error message in question says it _does_ support .BMP and .TIF, so they should remove those so someone doesn't crash Dimension by trying to import a fairly normal texture file.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

key words = "Adobe cc library" now I know what you are trying to do I can point you to the right path.

this vimeo shows you the main two work flows i.e, the correct way and the way that works

• some points include; sign in from Adobe Stock... this is important for people with more than one Adobe account like enterprise for work and personal
  • set the filter to "3d" for Adobe Dimension stock, the blue icon is everything you already own i.e, have payed for
  • you have the option to download the stock model to your local system as a zip file... this is the best option because it works!
  • however you can also send it to your cc library and [if you know where to click] you can even change which part of the cc library you send it to... this is the correct workflow i.e, the one Adobe wants you to use

now the rules for cc library are;

1. Dimension Stock assects are NOT Obj files while they are in the library... [apart from background images] only Dimension stock assets can be used in Adobe Dimension by dirrect dragging out of the library
  2. files need to be under 1G [unzipped] for the Adobe library system to work... bigger than 1G will fail to sync no matter how good your internet is
  3. bigger files take longer to sync and are more likely to fail... that is why the download a local zip copy is the best workflow
  4. you can NOT put a Obj file into Adobe CC Library because Adobe blocks that file type... yes that is silly but the dev teams don't talk to each other or test the system from outside Adobe so most staff are not even aware that it doesn't work

work arounds include putting your Stock files inside the Adobe cloud as zip folders i.e, zip is an allowed file type

• understand that the cc library are syned to the local system and you can only use these files in Dimension after a file has finished downloading a local copy
  • Obj files can be opened in Photoshop and saved as Psd files... you can't drag them into Dimension but you can send them to your cc library
  • files inside the cc library are there own type of library files i.e, they are not Obj, Fbx or Psd files until you download them from the library

I hope that clears some of the mess up but let us know if you still need help mate

p.s, yes you can move Bmp and Tif files to the cc library and yes you can import those files into Adobe Dimension but when you try to save the Dn file it will crash and corrupt the save file making your work worthless so just be aware of that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe still doesn't allow .obj files in libraries. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe doesn't even allow Dn files in the library unless you zip them first... Think lots of little Dev teams that don't talk to each other, that's Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines