• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed Graphic not visible on OBJ components

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am trying to place a graphic to a component of an .OBJ model. The .PNG seems to import without any issue, but is not visible on the component. I've run into this with a few components of this model. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it? I also run into this issue when applying stock substance materials with any sort of pattern (e.g. wood grains) - the pattern is not visible no matter what I change properties to.

Details:

The model is an .OBJ of an iPhone 11 Pro + case which I got from CGTRader. I've been able to apply properties to all the components of the model without issue and have successfully added .PNGs to the phone screen. But when I try to do things like add a decal to the case, or in my latest project, add a graphic to the camera flash, it is not visible. Here are a few screenshots:

Applying a .PNG to the case:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 11.31.13 AM.png

It looks like the graphic was applied, but its scale is completely wrong. No matter what I change the 'repeat' settings to or adjust the orientation and scale using the graphic handles, the graphic does not fill the case in the way I'd expect it to. This is the .PNG I am trying to apply:

1125x2436-Wallpaper-255.jpg

Maybe it's something to do with the scale of the model I am applying it to? Here are its properties:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.23.28 PM.png

Just in case, here's the graphic set to 'decal.'Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 11.30.48 AM.png

Applying graphic to the flash. It is not visible with decal or fill selected:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 11.38.45 AM.png

This is the .PNG I want to apply:

iPhone 11 Pro Flash.png

TOPICS
How to , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I figured out the issue with the flash graphic. It is a scaling issue. I bumped up the resolution of my graphic by 10x in Photoshop (to 880 x 880) and then fine-tuned with Dimension's repeat and offset properties.

This solution does not work for the phone case graphic. It also does not work when trying to apply stock substance materials to the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try "Generate UV" 

Here is reference to previous convertion where you can find more info about it

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/what-does-quot-generate-uvs-quot-do/td-p/10245137?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the screengrab looks like the decal graphic is under another material... share the Dn an we can take a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines