• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange result when rendering to PSD

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I render my object from Dimension to a PSD, I'm getting a strange result. The preview of the PSD looks fine, but when you open it, only half of the glass is transparent When I export the PNG, it's fine, but I need it to be transparent.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 16.26.02_compressed.png

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 15.34.14.pngBirra Moretti_glass.png

TOPICS
Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

when you look at your extra layers the line cutting the glass about half way up is the groundplan... if you turn that off Dimension will not rendor it [see example]

Screenshot (4298).pngScreenshot (4299).png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you mean when you say "The preview of the PSD looks fine, but when you open it, only half of the glass is transparent "

You open PSD file in PS or export PNG from Ps and then open it? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, so basically when I open the PSD file in Photoshop only half the glass is transparent. The PNG is exported from Dimensions.

I can see in the "Additional layers" group that there is a layer called "Object Selection Masks" which is black and grey and I think this is causing the problem. Unsure how to fix it though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the line is the ground plane showing in the glass i.e, Dimension is doing what you asked it to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you look at your extra layers the line cutting the glass about half way up is the groundplan... if you turn that off Dimension will not rendor it [see example]

Screenshot (4298).pngScreenshot (4299).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's really helpful. The line has now disappeared.
However, the glass is not transparent. Is there a way to still keep the transparency of the glass?
I know I can achieve this with different laters / layers effects in photoshop. Just wondered if can do in the render?

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 13.49.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my glass is transparent because I made the model that way... if you want me to test your glass then share the model and I'll take a look at it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be really helpful, here is link to the file: https://we.tl/t-g2hPzV2ds4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the model has mistakes in the UV map that will show at certain camera angles however transparency is fine

Screenshot (889).pngScreenshot (890).png

Screenshot (892).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thanks for your help.
I'll be able to sort the issues with the model, but the glass I'm still struggling with. I know the glass is transparent if you insert another object inside it (as per your example), but what I would like is the whole object to be transparent when I open it in Photoshop.

See examples...
If I leave the ground plane on and open the rendered PSD, I get half the effect I would like:
Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 09.54.03.png

But when I turn the ground plane off, it's completely solid:
Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 10.20.54.png

I know I can use layer effects to achieve a similar result, just wondering if there is a way to do in the render.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what I would like is the whole object to be transparent when I open it in Photoshop

what you are describing is opacity

Screenshot (934).pngScreenshot (936).png

note you will get best results by rendoring the same background image in Dimension so that the lights match up but if you want to be able to move the glass around (or just don't have the background image) then a basic square pattern looks ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great, thanks for you help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines