• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF viewer is not able to display this type of document.

New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by visiting http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html. For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/support/products/ acrreader.html. Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries

Can not open the file

What do I need to do

Please HELP

I'm using windows 10@

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Hello Vladimirdyulgerov,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, you are getting an error message "PDF won’t display. Please wait …", Is that correct?

If you are getting this message while viewing a pdf in a browser, you are most likely trying to open a Dynamic XFA (XML Form Architecture) PDF. To view such pdf documents, we recommend you to download the file locally and open it either in Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution  or Adobe Acrobat Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC | Non-subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vladimirdyulgerov,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, you are getting an error message "PDF won’t display. Please wait …", Is that correct?

If you are getting this message while viewing a pdf in a browser, you are most likely trying to open a Dynamic XFA (XML Form Architecture) PDF. To view such pdf documents, we recommend you to download the file locally and open it either in Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution  or Adobe Acrobat Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC | Non-subscription

Also, refer and try the suggestions from the following Adobe article PDF won’t display. Please wait …

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anandi

Yes but i figuered it out and managed to open .Works after downloading the

document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm also facing the same issue. Even after downloading I am not able to view the content of the PDF.

I have tried every thing i.e. updating pdf, java etc. but still problem is unresolved.

Please let me know if you can help me with this.

Thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Download the document to Mac or Windows.

2. Start Acrobat Reader.

3. Use Open from the File menu to select the file you downloaded in step 1.

Do not try to bypass any step or do it differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thanks a lot! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed the instructions above exactly.  Still failing with an alert box complaining about exteded features. Now my older "work" computer, can open this file, so I know it is ok.  What are the steps to get around this "extended features" bug.

Charles5CCC_0-1600299519921.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With greatest respect, this is ridiculous.

IMHO this format should be banned.

It makes seemless file sharing and collaboration impossible.

To have to go through all these steps every time I want to make a minor change to a document (with embedded form controls) makes it not worh using.

I really hate it now when I get one of these documents. I can't open it directly from my mail. (I am a Mac user and I want to use Preview as my default PDF viewer.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem when I try to open a Dynamic XFA (XML Form Architecture) PDF with Acrobat Reader DC 2021.001.20145

I open the file with File - Open in Acrobat Reader!

Instead of the PDF's content it show this message:

Please wait... If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download. For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.

When I open the file with Internet Explorer 11 it's ok, I can see the contents and fill in the form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand Sri,

Thank you for your answer.  Unfortunately, that does not always solve the problem. 

In particular, I just opened a PDF in Acrobat Standard, closed it without making any changes or saving anything, and then upon trying to open the EXACT SAME DOCUMENT received the message, "Please wait... If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document."

Why did Acrobat open the document and now refuses to open the exact document it just opened.

Thank you,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anand,
I'm sorry but this is completely unacceptable as a work around. Adobe can't fine a solution for this?

I have users with a large number of Dynamic XFA docs that USED to work with IE 11.0. Why it doesn't work for Google, Firefox, nor Edge is garbage. Since IE was sunset and my users no longer have it they can't open these files and to download them to open them is not an acceptable alternative considering the intense nature of their jobs in the medical industry.

Please provide and answer that will solve the problem not work around.

Thank you.
Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can use it on the laptop with either Win 10 or OS. however, is there a way to open the Dynamic XFA (XML Form Architecture) PDF in IOS? the adobe reader now available does not work! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed no. XFA works in Acrobat or Reader on Windows and Mac. It is truly an obsolete format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create a form and make sure that its now using XFA?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean "not using XFA"? If so, the answer is you create it using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who is having this issue, but on an iPad.

Any different solutions that have come about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kabbott,

Thank you for reaching out.

As the client experience a similar issue, would you mind sharing the error message received at their end?

Please check if the error appears on a particular PDF.

It might be possible the mobile application does not support that file. That means it can be opened only on a desktop application. 

Check if the user can open that file on the desktop application without issues.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most pathetic monopolistic practice. I've spent over 4 hours trying to sign a document. I even paid them $30 for a subscription, signed up and downloaded the lated Acrobat Reader and I still see the error message "If this message is not eventually replaced..." Adobe should be sued for the monopolistic practices, pathetic software quality and the lack of customer service. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot showing the Acrobat Reader window, including title bar and toolbars, showing the message "If this message is not eventually replaced..." Often this will help us find a simple solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certain PDF files can only be opened in Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat. When you try to open these files in an alternative PDF viewer, then you will see this error message. These alternative PDF viewer’s also include those built in to Internet Explorer, Mozilla’s Firefox, Apple’s Safari, and Google’s Chrome browsers.

Unfortunately, it’s not easy remove this message and modify the PDF so that it can be opened in alternative PDF viewers. Adobe requires the user to download Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat in order to view these documents.

In order to properly view the files, use the following procedures based on your browser. The latest Adobe Reader can be found on Adobe’s Reader web page.

Internet Explorer Users:

Right-click the link to the PDF file, and then click “Save Target As” from the sub-menu.
The File Download dialog box opens, and a progress bar allows you to monitor the download process.
After the file is downloaded, the Save As dialog box opens.
Specify the location on your computer where you want to save the file, and click the “Save” button.
After the file is saved, click the Close button in the File Download dialog box.
Open the file stored on your computer and the file will open, in the Adobe Acrobat Reader, automatically.

Firefox Users:

Right-click the link to the PDF file, and then click “Save Link As” from the sub-menu.
The “Enter name of the flies to save to…” dialog box opens.
Specify the location on your computer where you want to save the file, and click the “Save” button.
After the file is saved, open the file stored on your computer and the file will open, in the Adobe Acrobat Reader, automatically.

Chrome Users:

Right-click the link to the PDF file, and then click “Save Link As” from the sub-menu.
The “Save As” dialog box opens.
After the file is saved, open the file stored on your computer and the file will open, in the Adobe Acrobat Reader, automatically.

Safari Users:

Right-click the link to the PDF file, and then click “Download Linked File” from the sub-menu.
The “Save As” dialog box opens.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that I have the same problem when using Microsoft Edge. I was also getting that same error when I used Microsoft Edge for downloading. I do not have an issue with FireFox or Chrome. I've been trying to send a pdf to my Doctor, and they get that same error message on their end. I'm hoping they will be able to open this time thru a meddent portal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This may be a bit late but Edge now has a feature where one can temporarily open sites in IE mode (for 90 days, then it resets). 

1. In the upper-right corner of the Edge window:
  2. Select the ellipses (…)
  3. Select Settings
  4. In the left pane, select Default Browser
  5. Under Internet Explorer mode pages:
    • Click the Add button
    • Add the main site address for the site you wish to open in IE mode
    • Click Add

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines