• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternative to using Blackboard to create public facing URLs for pdfs?

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm not sure of of the best place to post this so I'm starting here with hope someone can guide me. Thanks.

We needed to find another solution at our university for where to house our PDFs and be able to grab a public facing URL from them to then use on our sites (Drupal) as our servers were filling up too fast. We were advised by our central Drupal group to use Blackboard from which we could get a public facing URL. Everything seemed fine. The about a year or so in I noticed that links stopped working when I knew I had already fixed them at least once. Turns out the Uni switched to AWS cloud hosting and I think it may have been then the issue started. If you grab the shortened 360 degree link and use that in the site, it's fine, but if you place the link first in a browser to test it (what I had been doing), it expands into an AWS URL and then if you copy it from the browser address bar and copy it into your site, that link would expire in 6 hours! Nobody told us this. Similarly, if anyone tries to copy a pdf link from our site and share it or just share the page, the link will again expire in 6 hours. I wanted to ask if anyone has a solution for where we can store pdfs that give us a public URL that we can use that doesn't expire. 

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?