Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF embed API: online SDK

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a script tag with a source to your SDK's URL(

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/view-sdk/main.js) as requested.

What if u upgrade a version that breaks functionality? is there a way to get a URL for a specific version? or use this file locally on my server?

thnx

TOPICS
General , PDF Embed API

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time, you cannot request a specific version. The most current version is always loaded. It can't be loaded locally either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically I can wake up one day and the PDF viewer won't work for my users because something was broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's also possible that a browser update would render past versions inoperable as well. Breaking changes are always a possibility. 

That said, if we were to support loading specific versions, do you expect major and minor releases to be supported or just major? How many versions back would be reasonable? What would you like to happen if a release "aged out" being available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linking to previous stable release version - whether major or minor would be very usefull - incase the current release breaks something - but also means we can test current release and only upgrade if we are happy that the currentl release does not break anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most important thing for us is that we would be to be able to point to a release of the Adobe Embed API that we have tested before and that we know works. The current sistuation where we are loading the current release every time without out us first testing it,  means that the Adobe Embed Api could break at any time and we would be helpless to fix it - this is not a realistic scenario for a production system. So until there is some way of loading a release of the Adobe Embed Api that we have tested and that we know works - we cannot go to production with the Adobe Embed API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your view here, Shelton. I've definitely logged this internally as a request. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for logging this request - one final example. Currently our organisation is still using IE 11 internally and the upgrade to IE Edge won't be feasible till February next year.  After September this year the Embed API will no longer support IE 11. If we had already started using the the Embed API in Production and if it were to stop working in IE 11, we would be faced with the fact that our systems would be broken till we upgraded to IE Edge in February next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This query was first logged in July and it has now been serveral months. I would just like to know whether there is an intention to provide versioning to your customers in the future. If there is no intention then I will proceed to use an  alternative solution for my organisation as using the Adobe Embed API with no versioning in a production environment would present too much risk for our organisation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a more up to date answer for you outside of saying I've reported it internally as a concern. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me, please keep me posted, at the moment, whether we proceed with using the Adobe Embed API has been hold for a number of months,
I am keen to know ASAP whether Adobe will or will not provide versioning support for the Embed API, so we can move forward either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any updates on version control availability?
I am very concerned about backwards compatibility after forced library update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This _could_ happen, but it would mean it's broken for _everyone_ and I guarantee that would be a quick fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Quick fix how quick do you mean? - for some business down for an hour means loss of revenue, trading and customers etc can you guarantee a turn around time? It would be far easier to allow your customers to link to a stable release and leave it up to them to decide whether they are happy with the lastest release and wish to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, absolutely. That seems to be the world we are all heading into, with online apps and automatic, compulsory updates even for locally installed software. These are created by programmers who don't have to live with the real world consequences of failure - from annoyed phone calls to complete business collapse - they just fix the bugs and all is well....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources