Was there a change in the Embed API on or around Feb 24th?

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using the Embed API for over a year very successfully.  On or around last Thursday, radio button fields do not seem to be behaving properly.  I am receiving a PDF from the callback with BOTH buttons checked when they are supposed to be unique?   Has there been a change or recent deployment? 

Thanks,
Fred

TOPICS
PDF Embed API

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @freda63866688 Thanks for reaching out to us. We are looking into this. I shall keep you posted.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 7.45.24 AM.png

This is what comes back in the callback...the checkboxes( Radio buttons are mutually exclusive ) meaning they all have the same fieldname......  when I call    getField( fname ) ....  I always get back the first value .... so once set.... you can never set anything "to the right of it" since it seems that both values are in the data

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a production version of the embed API service.   My current production system is now unusable and I was wondering if Adobe has a product that will do the same thing and provide some kind of SLA????

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the input PDF file?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the pdf that I filled out and sent to adobe........also the returned blob saved to a file.....  Note I use iText 7 to save the file.    

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate on exactly what yoiu mean by the above? Please be as detailed as possible... "filled out and sent to adobe" doesn't tell me what product was used and how.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the Embed API for over a year with great success.   On the pdf manipulation side I was using iText 5 but needed to switch to iText 7 6 months ago to handle an issue with checkbox groups that span pages.  Again, we have been working fine on 100s of PDF documents created by various Financial Institutions, different vendors, etc. but again successfully.  Last week Thursday, it was reported that CheckBox groups ( radio buttons ) are not saving or being changed.   I have spent 3 days and verified that I have not changed any code that would impact the saving of PDF data.  So my question is .. did something change on your side?  

This is pseudo code of the script in my HTML page using the Embed API:   Pretty much right out of your documentation..

<div id="adobe-dc-view" style="width: 100%; height: 100%;" ></div>
<script src="https://documentcloud.adobe.com/view-sdk/main.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.addEventListener("adobe_dc_view_sdk.ready", function() {
  const saveOptions = { showSaveButton: true }
  const previewConfig = { showDownloadPDF: false }
  let adobeDCView = new AdobeDC.View({
    clientId: "<my client id>",
    divId: "adobe-dc-view"
  });
  adobeDCView.previewFile(
    {
      content: {
          url: "@routes.FormWorkflowController.editWorkflowFormAsPdf( doc_id )"
        }
      },
      metaData: {
        fileName: 'doc.pdf'
      }
    },
    {
      embedMode: "FULL_WINDOW",
      showPageControls: true,
      dockPageControls: true,
      showAnnotationTools: false,
      showLeftHandPanel: true,
      defaultViewMode: "FIT_PAGE",
      showDownloadPDF:  @hostserver.isLocalServer,
      showPrintPDF: false,
      enableFormFilling: true
    }  
  );
  adobeDCView.registerCallback(
    AdobeDC.View.Enum.CallbackType.SAVE_API,
    async function(metadata, content, options) {
      let formData = new FormData();
      formData.set(
        "CaptureData",
        new Blob([new Uint8Array(content.buffer, content.byteOffset, content.length)]),
        "FormsLogic_PDF_Editor.pdf"
  );
  const response = await fetch("@routes.FormWorkflowController.uploadPDFForDataHarvest(doc_id)", 
    {  method: 'POST',  body: formData  });

if(response.ok) {
    //move reload to end of js call stack (after promise is returned)
    setTimeout(function() { window.location.reload(true); });
    return new Promise((resolve, reject) => {
    resolve({ code: AdobeDC.View.Enum.ApiResponseCode.SUCCESS, data: { metaData: metadata });
    });
   } else {
    //adobe UI to display failed save without page refresh
    return new Promise((resolve, reject) => {
    reject({
    code: AdobeDC.View.Enum.ApiResponseCode.FAIL });
    });
  }
  },
  saveOptions
  );
  });
</script>

The first PDF is a sample pdf that has been working for over a year that started not saving checkboxes last thursday.

Below is the pseudocode on my controller ...called by the registered callback above.

def uploadPdfForDataHarvest(......  ) = SecuredAction.async(streamingBodyParser(maxUploadSize)(newByteArrayOutputStream)) { implicit request =>    
    val keyword = "CaptureData"
    request.body.file(keyword) match {
      case Some(file) =>
        file.ref match {
          case Right(streamResult) =>
            val bytes = streamResult.outputStream.asInstanceOf[ByteArrayOutputStream].toByteArray()

PdfGenerator.saveToFile(  "public/output/adobe_returned_file.pdf", bytes   )   <-- The second file above

val reader = new PdfReader( bytes )    <--- iText 5 or iText 7

val form = reader.getAcroFields()

val keys = form.getFields().keySet()

var data = Map[String, Seq[String]]()

data = data.++( keys.map { k =>
               k -> Seq( form.getField( k ) )
            } )

Note that I take the bytes coming in from the form data and write them out to a file which is the second file attached.  Notice that the old radio button and the new radio button are both checked which seems like a bug to me since the field names for these should be the same and the values are what is different.

The form.getField( k ) call when it goes for  the radio group always returns the first one ( 'Individual' ) even though that is old data and the new value '529 Plan' cannot be retrieved so that I can make the change.

Again, this was working last wednesday and now it seems to fail on all radio groups.  I have not changed any code to impact this.   The result is it seems...all getField(k) calls return the first value of the radio group ( selected or not ) when I get the result after a save.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can yo save the file on your server and send me what you save prior to iText touching it. The returned PDF that was modified by iText doesn't even have a forms dictionary in it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the raw output. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The raw output looks fine to me. The forms dictionary is present and the field appearances are still checks. I think the issue is introduced later in your code.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be true, however, can you tell me if something changed last week in the Embed API or PDF Format ?  Was there a production code roll?  Because my code that has been working for months stopped working and I need to understand how I can track this down in the future and where/how this defect got introducted into my system.  Does Adobe Embed API have a release notes page where we can go to discover a new version, etc.?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There hasn't been a change. The link to the release notes is below.

https://developer.adobe.com/document-services/docs/overview/pdf-embed-api/releasenotes/

I can see you are using iText. They have the RUPS tool you can use to examine the PDF contents. Save a copy of your file after each processing step and take a look at it using RUPS. You can see the file modifications and see where the file gets broken.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources