• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessibility in PDF files embedded in the website

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We want to build accessibility in PDF documents embedded in a website. In the View Document mode within our website, the screen reader such as NVDA is not able to read the contents of the document. 

Please suggest what do we need to do in order for the screen reader to read the contents of the PDF doc embedded within the Website and also identify any editable fields which may need to be filled in by the end user. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

The contents of the PDF in an embedded view are currently not available to screen readers but I'll forward this post to our product team as a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The contents of the PDF in an embedded view are currently not available to screen readers but I'll forward this post to our product team as a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the prompt response Joel. This is quite helpful to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do, there are many websites for which ADA compliancy is an absolute must. Thank you!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really should be a third option for these questions. The problem isn't solved. It should be listed as an open issue. ADA compliance is more important than anything else you are working on. Get this done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I did more research. It turns out that indeed ACCESSIBILTY IS AVAILABLE IN THE PDF EMBED!!!!!!!!!!
It turns out that it is a hidden feature that is almost accessible to screen readers after navigating through a bunch of
controls!!!!!!!!
This feature should be able to be enabled programatically or better yet turned on by default via the code if desired.

<input class="Accessibility__elementInvisible___3eGvf __web-inspector-hide-shortcut__" type="checkbox" id="accscreen" aria-disabled="false" value="Enable Accessibility for screen reader.">

but there is no code to make the checkbox visible.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And once again I have to insist. WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY IS THE LAW OF THE LAND

That a feature is already available, but remains somewhat hidden or hard to get to is frankly ridiculous Especially when all we need is the code to set the the default or make a check box visible.

Also for accessibility there needs to be an attribute to name the iframe that is generated by the script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lawrence, we are working on bringing accessibility to PDF Embed. While you were able to see some aspects of previous work by digging into the code (I do that too 🙂 - we have not made it generally available because we want to ensure that everyone gets the expected performance and reading experience. We *absolutely* recognize how important this is. We will update our docs as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THIS RESPONSE!

Just to let you know that the ability isn't that hidden, I recognized it was there because when using a screen reader it was a surprise option when I was tabbing through. I imagine many people didn't find it because when tabbing through there are a lot of buttons that have no names, (something else that should be addressed) so they got lost if they weren't as persitent as I. The other thing I noticed is that pagination doesn't work. No matter what page one is on it starts reading from the top.
My dream though for maximum accessibility would be a pdf  reader that rendered compliant html on the fly. Now That would be a game changer! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Raymond,

We observed below accessibility issues on pdf iframe options.

1) Screen reader reads top menu as unlabeled 0, Unlabeled 1 - Can't we have meaningful name?
2) Can we enable accessibility check box to the user, as it is getting extra tab focus for the normal user? Or how we can remove it from DOM to avoid tab focus (ADA keyboard controls) on it until it is made visible?
3) After keyboard tab focus on hidden accessibility check box, the tab focus is going to the pdf content. How we can restrict the tab focus to the PDF content?
4) Finally we need to press extra tab to come out of  the Iframe, which is not read by screenreader as well. We don't know what element is there but the focus goes to some hidden element which even screenreader is not able to read.
Is there any way to modify iframe elements, remove elements and provide name and title to the elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have any more to add yet to what I said above. As mentioned though - we get how important it is to get this working right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Raymond,

Is there any update on accessibility issues on SDK PDF Viewer? Its been 6 months now. Any roadmap or progress on it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at this time. The best I can suggest is to follow our blog (https://medium.com/adobetech) as we use it for product announcements. Our docs have release notes too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respectfully, how top of a priority can it be if it's been 4 months without any progress in resolving this?

As a legally blind person - more important than my career in digital accessibility - I'm disappointed that Adobe doesn't care about us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone needs to get sued over it, maybe then it will be a priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't get it. Whomever is working on this needs to drop everything else and make accessibility the only thing they are working on. Accessibility mandates are the law of the land. As I said before, muchore useful would be rendering PDFs as compliant HTML

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update on this ongoing and severe accessibility violation? Is there a page documenting the progress on this known issue? 

Are there any workarounds that are being provided?

Thanks in advance for not letting this fall through the cracks with a prompt response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry no update yet, I can absolutely assure you it's a top priority. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Raymond,

Do you have an update on this yet? I'm hoping since I'm asking months later that this might be resolved. It's become a large issue within my product. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the other parts of this thread - right now we do not have an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Raymond!

Curious if this has an update yet a year later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*gets some popcorn*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is still high priority on our roadmap. That's all I can share now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources