• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ddisplay a password-protected PDF in the browser but to pass the User password via program.

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The requirement is to display a password-protected PDF in the browser but to pass the User password programmatically.

I am using the MERN stack and used ADOBE API Tool to create and protect PDF. I want to know can I display this PDF within a webpage (using iframe or any other solution) without the user needing to input the password manually. 

The moto here is to - while displaying in the browser, the user should not be prompted to key in the password and hence the password should be supplied by the application, However, if the user downloads the PDF and then tries to open it, he should be prompted to enter the password.

TOPICS
General , How to , PDF Embed API , PDF Services API

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If the goal is to seamlessly display a PDF file in a browser but prevent the user from downloading it, or more correctly, prevent the user from opening the file after downloading it, you don't need to password protect the file. Instead, you can use Adobe Embed API to display the PDF in the browser and configure it to prevent download. You can see an example at this CodePen.

If this was not your goal, please elaborate on your original message.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If the goal is to seamlessly display a PDF file in a browser but prevent the user from downloading it, or more correctly, prevent the user from opening the file after downloading it, you don't need to password protect the file. Instead, you can use Adobe Embed API to display the PDF in the browser and configure it to prevent download. You can see an example at this CodePen.

If this was not your goal, please elaborate on your original message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the code on this CodePen. But here the PDF still publicly available via a direct URL link in the .js file.

My aim is to protect the information inside of PDF and only allow the logged-in user to view the PDF. However, if the logged-in user downloads the PDF they should not be able to open it (because of unavailability of password).

I am developing a website where only logged-in users can view the PDF and read the information within it. Since the website will be delivered via a web browser the normal (unprotected) PDF would not be able to secure the information and prevent duplication of PDF. 

I require a solution where a protected PDF is delivered to the user's browser and unlock itself on the local machine. Even if downloaded, should require a password to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. That was just my example. You can easily obfuscate the PDF url by having your server convert the PDF to base64 and then using that as your content property. I have an example of that as well if you are interested. Essentially as long as the content is passed as a Promise that resolves as a ByteArray, you can show the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this helped sorry I didn't read the comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stumbled upon this thread thru a google search... sounds like the perfect solution to my issue, which is similar in nature.. earlier I used to convert my pdfs to shockwave flash and that used to do the trick for me but since it got discontinued I had to search for an alternative. I used to be a programmer but not for web-based technologies.. so I can understand things a bit and do tiny customizations to such acquired codes... anyhoo, I copied this code and on execution, it started to do something that looked promising in my custom-built (most code is scavenged though) website that is currently on my local but then failed on the ClientId part... could you help with that... TIA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources