Highlighted

FAQ for Document Services PDF Embed API

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will be a living document to provide answers to the most helpful questions for Document Services PDF Embed API. 

COMMERCIAL QUESTIONS

Is there any cost to using the PDF Embed API? 

• No - the current services available in the PDF Embed API are free to use.  This includes annotation tools, call back APIs and events for Analytics.

What if I do not have Adobe Analytics setup? 

• Please check our documentation which explains how to set up integration with Adobe Analytics. 

Is there any cost for Analytics?

• It depends on the Analytics product that is used. Please visit the Adobe Analytics website for more details. 

FEATURE QUESTIONS

Why would I use PDF Embed API versus relying on native browsers? 

• Browsers have different implementations for viewing PDFs. So the experience across different browsers is inconsistent, which is often a concern for content owners. The PDF Embed API will render pages in the same manner, regardless of browser or device. 

Why would I use PDF Embed API versus other third-party PDF viewers? 

• The PDF Embed API ensures an "Adobe Quality" experience.  The rendering engines ensure proper display of text and fonts, images, graphics, and page objects. 

If the API free to use, then how does Support work, if I have any issues? 

• Support questions should be posted here, in the Document Services Community Forum.  In the case of an Enterprise Client with an ETLA,  they can submit requests through their support portal.

Is it possible to map multiple un-related domains to the same client ID? I would like to use the same credentials across all of my domains.

• A single Client ID can be mapped to only one domain. You will need to generate a separate client ID for each domain. 

Is it possible to map multiple sub-domains to the same client ID?

• Yes. you can create a single client ID for the parent domain that contains all the sub-domains. However, our recommendation is to create separate credentials for each sub-domain

I have mapped my domain but later realized the entry was incorrect. How can I update the domain from your portal?

• It is not possible to change the domain associated with a client ID. However, as a workaround, you can generate a new set of credentials and map it to the desired domain

Is there a limit to the number of domains that I can map using the API?

• There is a limit. You can create up to 20 mappings of client IDs to domains. However, with an Enterprise license, there are no limits

SECURITY QUESTIONS

When Adobe Analytics is not enabled by the SuiteID and no other events are enabled, does Adobe collect any data about the PDF being viewed.

• The PDF Embed API  stores user settings in client-side browser's local storage for things such as color for annotation. As far as analytics is concerned, PDF Embed ONLY gathers standard anonymous usage and data parameters like locations, timezone, pdf file lang, file name, file size, no of pages, etc.. It doesn't store any user-generated content in analytics and never shares user-generated content with Adobe servers.

TOPICS
General, PDF Embed API

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FAQ for Document Services PDF Embed API

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will be a living document to provide answers to the most helpful questions for Document Services PDF Embed API. 

COMMERCIAL QUESTIONS

Is there any cost to using the PDF Embed API? 

• No - the current services available in the PDF Embed API are free to use.  This includes annotation tools, call back APIs and events for Analytics.

What if I do not have Adobe Analytics setup? 

• Please check our documentation which explains how to set up integration with Adobe Analytics. 

Is there any cost for Analytics?

• It depends on the Analytics product that is used. Please visit the Adobe Analytics website for more details. 

FEATURE QUESTIONS

Why would I use PDF Embed API versus relying on native browsers? 

• Browsers have different implementations for viewing PDFs. So the experience across different browsers is inconsistent, which is often a concern for content owners. The PDF Embed API will render pages in the same manner, regardless of browser or device. 

Why would I use PDF Embed API versus other third-party PDF viewers? 

• The PDF Embed API ensures an "Adobe Quality" experience.  The rendering engines ensure proper display of text and fonts, images, graphics, and page objects. 

If the API free to use, then how does Support work, if I have any issues? 

• Support questions should be posted here, in the Document Services Community Forum.  In the case of an Enterprise Client with an ETLA,  they can submit requests through their support portal.

Is it possible to map multiple un-related domains to the same client ID? I would like to use the same credentials across all of my domains.

• A single Client ID can be mapped to only one domain. You will need to generate a separate client ID for each domain. 

Is it possible to map multiple sub-domains to the same client ID?

• Yes. you can create a single client ID for the parent domain that contains all the sub-domains. However, our recommendation is to create separate credentials for each sub-domain

I have mapped my domain but later realized the entry was incorrect. How can I update the domain from your portal?

• It is not possible to change the domain associated with a client ID. However, as a workaround, you can generate a new set of credentials and map it to the desired domain

Is there a limit to the number of domains that I can map using the API?

• There is a limit. You can create up to 20 mappings of client IDs to domains. However, with an Enterprise license, there are no limits

SECURITY QUESTIONS

When Adobe Analytics is not enabled by the SuiteID and no other events are enabled, does Adobe collect any data about the PDF being viewed.

• The PDF Embed API  stores user settings in client-side browser's local storage for things such as color for annotation. As far as analytics is concerned, PDF Embed ONLY gathers standard anonymous usage and data parameters like locations, timezone, pdf file lang, file name, file size, no of pages, etc.. It doesn't store any user-generated content in analytics and never shares user-generated content with Adobe servers.

TOPICS
General, PDF Embed API

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2019 2
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the sample PDFs from Adobe work seemlessly, but when I point to PDFs on my project on localhost (in Laravel), I get a "Cross-Origin Request Blocked". Is there something else I need to know?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're experiencing issues with IE11 and Edge. Are there any known issues with the PDF Embed API on these browsers? Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All known browser/platform limitations (if any) are documented in the online Embed APIs helpx page at adobe.io. Please let us know you in case run into any specific case(s) that isn't documented.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0