• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2018 CC apps running extremely slow on imac pro

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded 2018 CC apps to a new imac pro and couldn't believe how slow it took to open an illustrator file (about 40 secs!) compared to approx. 13 seconds on my 2013 Mac Pro. (1.2 mb file with text only) I even uninstalled 2018 and reinstalled 2017 and its still super slow, are they coming out with a fix anytime soon?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

no.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brand new iMac and Adobe are not working together. Is soooooo SLOW I cannot even edit because the time consuming. 

Please take action about this already!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wildae76 This is with which iMac, what version of MAC os and what version of Adobe CC for AI, PS etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering that as well. Is this issue (as well as others) related to a specific revision of the iMac, iMacPro, mbPro, etc… related to a specific combination of hardware, macOS version, and other installed software, besides Adobe CS? E.g. there is another issue with outline-view (cmd-y) being super slow on high-res displays. Is this to be expected on all e.g. iMacPro's or just some?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is being generally unresponsive to our requests for resolution between CC software and this hardware so far.  Like Apple, they are so far keeping their side very close to the vest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is insane, I just hooked up a top of the line iMac Pro and I'm crawling in After Effects and rendering in Premier is not much better - even though my rendering in Autodesk Maya (using both Arnold and Maxwell) is screaming fast.  This is not good.

Anyone know how nuke is running on the new hardware?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, this is really interesting, eye-opening. And sad, of course – unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on an old cheese grater Mac Pro before buying the iMac Pro.  Granted, it was maxed out, but it was definitely at the end of it's usefulness in terms of rendering CGI.  My new machine has cut my rendering times down to between 1/4 and 1/8 of what they were on the old Mac Pro.  I'm super happy with that.  The cheese grater, however, rendered After Effects more quickly than this machine, I just can't understand it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I returned my iMac Pro 10 core before the grace period was up.

In terms of AI, it was better than my laptop (MacBook Pro i7 2.8ghz, 16gb ram, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB, but I think there was really only one core working for the testing I tried.  My tests were tracing jpgs for mostly solid objects and lines.

It was better, but not 8 $grand better.

Three factors I think MIGHT be in play here:

• Only using one core and we know that the turbo modes never reach the fully advertised clock rates
  • I don't think Adobe CC products are compiled for and detect the advanced instruction set for Xeon processor
  • No multi core usage is designed in to these apps - but I am not one of their programmers

I will wait for something that will take advantage of new hardware better than the iMac Pro.  At the end of the day it might be a hardware or a software solution.  I feel Adobe and Apple just need to learn to cooperate better.  Might be some hatchet burying needed for that to really happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have read read over these posts and am really concerned. Just about to purchase 2 new iMacs but not the PRO version. Is this problem just with the iMacPro or any of the newer iMacs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it looks like most of these issues are because of the Xeon processor on the iMac Pro which the non pro iMacs don't use so you should be all good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not convinced it's related to the Xeon cpu's at all. Just to quote someone who reached out today: "I got a brand new iMac 27, maxed out options, and it lags like hell, just like everyone else"… Mostly related to Illustrator, but probably other application as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

steffenh58012655 I appreciate your thoughts on this.  I am not trying to argue, but please allow me to comment.

Over all I would say that since it has not been noticed so much on the older iMacs and is now being noticed on the iMAC Pros, there "something" related to these processors and the issues, but not necessarily "all".  Besides what I have said already about Xeon cpus, their ability to use a different instruction set, there is another factor that has been showing up since High Sierra as far as I can determine.  Turning off GPU performance seems to be related to issues outside the Xeon cpu.

I think there are MULTIPLE factors to all this and that the Xeon seems to, by being in the environment, make things worse.  I think Adobe still has some work to do to make their apps play nicer in the current MAC OS environment and again, the combination of the current application builds and High Sierra, (which Apple should claim some of the responsibility here as well) is very much an influence on performance.  Again, add new processors to this and you have a multitude of factors that are not playing well together.  As a side note, other applications, and especially Apple ones, seem to work pretty well with the Xeon based hardware.  Interesting!

@andyrams As far as buying the older iMac designs right now, I personally feel it would be a foolish investment unless having more machines were "mission critical".   We are a mere month away from Apple's announcements on "what's new".  If one can afford to wait, I would recommend it. 

As for me, I really need a desktop that is a better performer than my laptop.  Still, I am not willing to shell out a lot of money right now on something that is "just not there yet" - be it because of the OS, because of hardware or even both. So I am stuck in the middle of this apparent "perfect storm" of OS, Hardware and application woes. 

I am going to wait until June to see what is announced by Apple.  If they could at the very least use the better (and quieter) cooling system that is in the iMAC Pro, then even the current i7 would not fall on it's face and perform poorly, (in some cases equal or worse than the i5) because inadequate cooling is causing the CPUs to throttle down to protect themselves.

This is all frustrating to no end whatever the "bottom line factors" are.  Because the root of these issues is still so nebulous and none of the parties involved are saying much, jumping in and investing in anything for now seems the most prudent.  My subscription for CC is also coming up for renewal.  It's all in limbo as far as I am concerned.

I hope this all comes together in a better season for all of us waiting to see what happens before we spend our $$

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for bringing this up. Illustrator team is aware of these issues and looking into solving it. Please see some threads on this topic on our UserVoice page.

Make Illustrator multi threaded on CPU – Adobe Illustrator Feedback 

Illustrator and High Sierra | macOS 10.13 – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Also, wanted to share that for such high density displays like this, Outline mode exhibits slow rendering. We are working on making this view render on GPU for faster performance, and that work is available for testing in our Beta program. For details, see: Ilustrator needs to have the option to use Animated Zoom in Outline Mode – Adobe Illustrator Feedbac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding to us.

This issue is not only for Illustrator but for Lightroom and Photoshop CC.

I hope this is been resolved as well.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neeraj N​ ! Hands down the Illustrator team seems to be the only team taking care.

The worst performing Apps on my iMacPro are Bridge (barely usable!) and After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can report the same here on my 2017 Touch Bar 15" MacBook Pro. Early 2017 I was zipping through Premier, I did a test with the new MacBook Pro when I got it and it was just as quick. ow however with the Premier updates it's painful.

I can't even open Safari to grab some stock sounds without coming back to Premier and it's laggy as hell and needs a restart.

Im trying to cut a freekin feature film and this is the worst Premier has ever worked for me. Only the fact FCPX won't import native DNG is keeping me from switching to Apple but I'm sorely tempted to give Avid a try at this point.

So very disappointed, and with all these iMac Pro comments it seems buying my way out isn't even an option. This is about to undo all the ground Adobe made when Apple changed to FCPX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I launch acrobat it's time to take the dog for a walk... never have i seen the wheel of death spin for so long!

What happened to acrobat? it used to be useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this brand new iMac Pro with all the upgrades, I still have never seen After Effects or Premiere work like they should. I have this freakin hyped up Radeon Pro Vega card and I still have to wait 10 minutes for a RAM preview of 5 seconds. Cant even play a clip in Premiere (with no effects or anything) without skipping or loading. What is happening to this world? Adobe, do you not want us to create? I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi I have a problem with macOS high Sierra v10.13.6 when I make export movie on my adobe premiere pro cc v12.1.2 and the problem is that the export take long time to finish,anyone can fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it with everyone having severe issues with the way Premiere, After Effects, and all the other adobe programs run on a Mac and yet adobe stays silent on the issue? My old 2013 MacBook pro runs adobe apps better than my 2016 MacBook pro (fully upgraded).

When will this problem be addressed or are Mac users going to be forced to look elsewhere? I've been an Adobe user since 1999 coming from PC, then switching to Mac. Now I'm at the point again debating of switching back to PC to gain performance with adobe products, or facing the music and walking away from Adobe products and staying with Mac (more than 20tb all formated for Mac).

Looking at the tests done at pugetsystems.com you can see how far behind a Mac computer is to a similar PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running a 2010 iMac. Used to run fine, then all of a sudden it seems Adobe pushed some updates. My old CC 2017 apps were removed and replaced with CC2018 versions. Now I just get endless spinning colour ball, the Mac becomes unresponsive and eventually a stupid error pops up telling me to repair Adobe CC or download and install the new version. We never used to have these ridiculous issues before CC was forced on us. As usual, too many updates, from Mac and Adobe and too many people trying to be clever or justify the need for their jobs by releasing untested updates or sub-standard versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried CC 2019 yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And after extensive searching and forum reading, here are some things to try:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

10k on an iMac and never thought ADOBE would be the non working link. I'm very frustrated with the lack of customer support and the fact ADOBE pushed ware that is obviously full of bugs. Im not a Beta tester for a reason. would it be too much to ask that you don't roll out products until they actually work? I pay a price for working software not the beta version. I hope this company doesn't bloat up like the manufacturer of my computer or Amazon. You're better than this Abobe? and as a loyal customer it's not too much to ask that YOU beta the product before updates to the public. My specs 2.3 gig INTEL Xeon W, 128GIG 2666 MHz DDR4 ram, Radeon Pro Vega 64. All other Apple software works flawlessly. Seems like the Flash thing still lingers but I WISH ADOBE WOULD MAKE A PC FOR THEIR SOFTWARE. Ive rambled long enough but this is very disappointing. Rolled back to 2017 on all and at least it works.........slowly. all new ware is fatal to my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines