• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Academy of Art Cancels CS6 for all current and PAST students. I don't want the cloud. I've been robbed!

Participant ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and the Academy of Art University are in the process of canceling thousands of registered copies of the Adobe Master Collection - v. CS6 without warning, notice, or legal grounds. Be warned.

It's a direct violation of the licensing agreement, and both parties are blaming each other for the theft. I know they are canceling the serial numbers in batches, and I think it is an attempt to dampen the public perception. I am also pretty convinced they are doing it at other universities. I am going to organize a class-action lawsuit. This is theft, and coercion, of the highest order. The think they can force us to use Cloud, and pay them for eternity for the privilege, but stealing our property directly off our laptops.

Adobe is attacking their precious newbies, students, and recent graduates. They are harming the very people who would have supported them in future years, and they should be held accountable.

facebook.com/adobesteals

Please join us. We will only make waves in numbers. Get the word out.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

We regret the recent confusion regarding the Academy of Art University (AAU) and Adobe’s software term usage agreement for Adobe’s Creative Suite applications.

Under the current contract between AAU and Adobe, Creative Suite software licenses are valid for the period of enrollment at AAU only.

As a courtesy to recent Academy graduates and alumni, AAU is providing a license extension of Adobe Creative Suite 6 (CS6) to students who attended AAU between May 1, 2012 and September 1, 2014, and received

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 118 Replies 118
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you separately pay for your CS6, or was it free from the University?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all paid for these licenses in our tuition. It was directly said, in writing, and verbally. There was nothing free about it. In fact - tuition rates remain the same for AAU, but now they aren't including the $2700.00 for a license. I estimate that makes them an additional 35 million dollars a year based on current enrollment stats. We were also told these licenses would never expire, and they were the foundation for our future work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope the roar is heard loud and clear by AAU and Adobe and they act in good faith to solve the problem and return CS6 to the students past and present it was given to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tuition costs had nothing to do with the software being available. I don't know where people keep getting this idea, but the licenses were always educational, and thus not intended to be permanent.  You did not pay anything for CS6, it was merely provided for you while you were enrolled in school to avoid requiring a very expensive purchase that many people would have skipped out on or simply could not afford and to allow everyone to be running the same software at home as they do on-site to minimize confusion between version changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stimshock said "Tuition costs had nothing to do with the software being available. I don't know where people keep getting this idea, but the licenses were always educational, and thus not intended to be permanent. "

Stimshock, maybe people are getting this idea based off the fact that this "Educational keys idea " are a bunch of BS !
All programs I've purchased under the heading Educational have been at a reduced cost but I have always maintained full access to the software indefinitely.
Students tuition was increased to cover the cost of this software and at no time that I can recall were we officially told that the software would expire. When software is purchased, it is purchased and cannot be taken back without money returned.

I'm not sure who your speaking for ADOBE or AAU but it sounds as if the advise your giving is general and not the information that students at AAU were told.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide any actual documentation of tuition costs increasing specifically to cover the software? I have neither seen nor heard anything more than hearsay from upset students and alumni after the licenses were expired. Until you can provide proof that tuition costs were raised specifically for covering the software fees, your argument can be easily dismissed as unsubstantiated claims. No matter how underlined and bolded it is. Tuition costs rise because the administration raises costs, it went up every semester when I was a student, and we didn't get free software out of the deal. They may have used the software as a way to justify the cost increases to students, but you still did not pay for the license. They may have used funds gained from tuition to subsidize the deal, but that still does not entitle you to the program for life. If anything, the school is the only entity that could take legal action as they're the ones who actually owned the licenses. However, Adobe has kept up their end of the deal by providing free copies of the most recent version of the software. Educational keys are intended to subsidize you (the student) while you are enrolled so you have the programs you will need during your educational period. They are not intended to cover you for life, don't be ridiculous. Educational licenses are very limited in their application (try reading the EULA sometime) and if they do not expire, they cannot be used for commercial purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stimsmock do you work for Adobe, AAU or are you a lawyer ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is irrelevant to the discussion, though I'm tickled that you think such an answer would discredit anything I've said. Bring some evidence to the table and I'll happily move along, until then I'm just pointing out that your argument does not hold up as well as you think it should:

BryanV3 said "All programs I've purchased under the heading Educational have been at a reduced cost but I have always maintained full access to the software indefinitely."

You're attempting to equate purchasing software, and being able to keep it, to software that you did not purchase, but still feel entitled to. This is a false equivalence.

The omission of the fact that a suitable replacement is being offered [providing free CC subscription vouchers for current students] indicates that you're attempting to make the situation look far worse than it actually is. This is a lie by omission, or misrepresentation.

Your lack of response to my question makes me doubt that you have any evidence beyond hearsay and hope that tuition costs were raised specifically to cover the software licenses. The attempt at discrediting me by claiming association just makes it even more apparent that you have nothing to back yourself up with. Please, if you have information, do share. It will only make it easier for you. I do, however, hope the misspelling of my name was an intentional jab, that would be the hilarious icing on the sad cake. This is part ad hominem part red herring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am not from Academy of Art University, however I am in the same situation where my serial number suddenly stopped working. Unlike AAU's students, I purchased the license myself through the school, not via my tuition.

Education FAQ states that Student/Teacher editions can be used commercially. FAQ | Adobe Creative Suite on the other hand describes CS6 licenses as perpetual, as opposed to the subscription model of the CC, without distinguishing between a regular and educational license. At the time I bought the product, there was no indication that they would eventually withdraw the perpetual license I paid for. I have two student products, CS3 and CS6. My CS3 license did not stop working when 4 came out. Why should 6 do so when CC was released?

But say this whole time the license was not perpetual, but only temporary until CC came out: at the very least, they could have sent an email informing us that this was coming instead of having us open the programs to find out our licenses no longer work.

Anyway, in the case of your school, I suppose it all boils down to whether your tuition covered the licenses or not. If you paid for it, you should be able to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stimshock, who do you work for? I have read the licensing agreement - with a lawyer. I also have, in writing, from both Adobe and AAU, confessions that sate that our licenses were never set to expire. So basically you're lying, and can not prove your "point". Whoever you are representing you are doing a very poor job of it.

I can also show you, in writing, where it states that licensure was a part of our tuition. So yes, as other students (past and present) have stated (no need for insulting our use of grammer or punctuation) you don't have a legal leg to stand on.

I look forward to my meeting with legal council this week I am personally organizing a class action, and from my intitial research this is a clear case of grand theft, bait-and-switch, and harassment (no need for bold print here, because you sound like a meany-pants all by yourself).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post screen shots or send me a link to the licensing agreement? Because Adobe is telling me the license is under this: Enterprise Term License Agreement for education, license management | Adobe Volume Licensing

Which does state it is only 3 years. However, I'm trying to find the license that AAU supplied to us and how we were supposed to know it only lasted 3 years.

That is what is bothering me. If I knew that I only had a limited amount of time with the product, then I would have saved up. However, now I can't do editing work. Luckily, I can support myself in other ways, but this is really unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has also stated that it was the responsibility of the party "selling" the ID to let us know the license. However, AAU still does not have the links to the licenses available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is giving everyone different information. Also no one is having their software revoked at exactly 3 years. It is all random with regards to time. Mine was 1 year 9 months and 6 days. Yeah...  The only timing they are adhering to is forcing a cloud upgrade across the board. That is just plain sleazy, and illegal. As I've said before both Adobe and AAU told me - in writing - that my license has no mention of any expiration. So they are telling you something alternate, and inaccurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So everyone may SEE what you have in writing, please scan and post the JPG files here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for instructions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That thread has nothing to do with our issue. Are you purposely trying to waste our time, or just not paying attention?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe John is saying post screen caps of what you have in writing here. If you do, it may be resolved faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that too quickly... You were explaining to Photoshop users how to take a screen shot - amusing in itself. You have the license agreements already and as you know fully they are very long. You want ever page as a jpeg to prove a LACK of expiration date language? How about you just go ahead and open up the file and read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>You have the license agreements already

I do NOT work for Adobe... any Adobe employee who posts a message has "staff" next to their name... so I do NOT have your license agreement

Never mind... I'm sure your lawyer will be able to do more for you than other users in a discussion forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I said was to scan your written documents and post the JPG pictures in this message thread (with instructions) so everyone may SEE what you have in writing from either/both the University or Adobe saying that you have a perpetual license... ESPECIALLY any documents you have from the University that says your license is perpetual

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What were issued was CS6 student and teacher edition.  This was the non-enterprise edition of the software.  ie, no time limit.

student and teacher editions has a limitation on purchasing it, not is its use.

-Also the EULA that shipped with the software never stated that it would expire.

- How about someone shows us the EULA that we all agree'd to that says that the keys would expire?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oherik, I have been asking for Adobe to do that for 10 days. A customer "care" rep told me that was impossible after badgering him for several hours. He went on to confess that there is no location in the agreement which states it will expire. One would think that would end the conversation, and a new key would be given - but, no. My case was "escalated" a week ago and I haven't heard a darn thing since of any value, whatsoever. We are just told to contact our university - again, useless advice. Senseless stress and suffering for so many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't EULAs designed to protect both parties? Now all of a sudden it seems we have no rights as end-users, especially given Adobe's refusal or inability to produce documentation to prove the contrary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Thanks for trying to help here. Here is the conversation I just had with the people at Adobe Support:

Screen shot 2014-09-17 at 9.46.18 AM.pngScreen shot 2014-09-17 at 9.46.30 AM.pngScreen shot 2014-09-17 at 9.47.27 AM.png

This is the site that the link sent me to:

Screen shot 2014-09-17 at 9.51.17 AM.png

Screen shot 2014-09-17 at 9.51.35 AM.png

As you can see, the Adobe representative ended their conversation with me incredibly fast. I was not given proper time to look at the license.

Looking at the license though, it only covers Creative Cloud and Adobe Acrobat. Also, this is NOT the direct license for my product. Just a general one which Adobe claims is what my product is under.

How do I go into my programs and files and find my license which is specific to my program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't want to show you YOUR license, because it has no expiration date, they're directing you to randomness that supports their fictitious position. Customer service admitted this to me, after a three hour chat, which I refused to leave... the following is a direct quote from an agent (spelling errors and all).

Sarah Ryan:  Prove to me, in writing, in my agreement, where it says I can use the software for "1 year, 9 months, and 6 days."

Bharath: There is no document telling the a particular software is supported for a particular time period.

And this from the Academy of Art:

"I am not sure whom you spoke to or exactly of the conversation had but I can tell you this – the expiration of the Adobe CS6 license for AAU was a surprise to us, and from what we understand, a few other universities as well." (Sept. 9th)

"Late last evening I was advised that Alumni department has made an announcement indicating that they too are involved in working with Adobe to rectify the situation.  In the notice Adobe confirmed that the license keys that they disabled were not supposed to expire.  Which, as we both know as true, and different than what Adobe was advising previous." (Sept. 10th)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines