• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Academy of Art Cancels CS6 for all current and PAST students. I don't want the cloud. I've been robbed!

Participant ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and the Academy of Art University are in the process of canceling thousands of registered copies of the Adobe Master Collection - v. CS6 without warning, notice, or legal grounds. Be warned.

It's a direct violation of the licensing agreement, and both parties are blaming each other for the theft. I know they are canceling the serial numbers in batches, and I think it is an attempt to dampen the public perception. I am also pretty convinced they are doing it at other universities. I am going to organize a class-action lawsuit. This is theft, and coercion, of the highest order. The think they can force us to use Cloud, and pay them for eternity for the privilege, but stealing our property directly off our laptops.

Adobe is attacking their precious newbies, students, and recent graduates. They are harming the very people who would have supported them in future years, and they should be held accountable.

facebook.com/adobesteals

Please join us. We will only make waves in numbers. Get the word out.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

We regret the recent confusion regarding the Academy of Art University (AAU) and Adobe’s software term usage agreement for Adobe’s Creative Suite applications.

Under the current contract between AAU and Adobe, Creative Suite software licenses are valid for the period of enrollment at AAU only.

As a courtesy to recent Academy graduates and alumni, AAU is providing a license extension of Adobe Creative Suite 6 (CS6) to students who attended AAU between May 1, 2012 and September 1, 2014, and received

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 118 Replies 118
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, we started a formal petition. Please sign it! Adobe (not surprised) won't let me post the link here. Please go to Facebook.com/adobesteals. The link to the change.org petition is there. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the one looming question that remains for me is, why is my license key for CS5.5 still alive and perfectly valid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a separate agreement subject to different terms. We don't have any details on that exchange, but it is unrelated to the CS6 agreement/cancellation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that it was a different deal. The reason I brought it up is because I find it incredibly odd that Adobe/AAU would cancel the CS6 keys, but not do anything with the CS5.5 licenses. It seems to me (based entirely on conjecture) that the deal between both parties would have been similar, if not the same, for both versions of the software; but like I said, that's purely an assumption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably, but there is some detail that differs. It could be that the shutdown of CS6 was indeed a mistake, it could be that Adobe simply isn't concerned about people still using CS5.5 due to the major changes since, or it could be that students actually own the CS5.5 licenses (unlikely, but who knows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The students and alum from George Brown University in Canada had their licenses restored. Will AAU be arranging the same solution for us? Why should we be any different? GeorgeBrownU.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gah-whuh!?! I literally almost did a spit-take; go George Brown College! I wish I felt like AAU would advocate for its students the same way, but then I remember who we're dealing with and have to fight back equal parts amusement and frustration. I'd be ABSOLUTELY astounded if the school decided to think of something other than lining their pockets and chose to do the right thing for us. Wishful thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW the people at your school sure are courteous... AAU has never treated me as such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before the big announcement about our licenses, which is supposedly happening today, I wanted to do a recap of facts that we have gathered over the last three weeks so we can easily review our position as a group.

1.) Between May 2012 and August 2014, the Academy of Art University granted students permanent licenses, for CS6 Master Collection. We have documented proof that we were told, in writing, that these licenses would never expire and all forms of professional and student work were permitted. In fact, we have several sources for this claim, and it is not in dispute.
2.) We were given stand-alone, non-subscription based software, which appears to be the last possible independent version of Adobe’s software suite.
3.) License cancellation began in June 2014, occurring in waves, with the largest set of cancellations (and presumed final batch) occurring around August 3rd, 2014. There was no warning, and no one was prepared to endure the changes or impending costs associated with the theft. Many, in desperation to keep their jobs, were forced to pay the ransom and join Creative Cloud against their personal will.
4.) Adobe blames AAU for the cancellations, with no details as to why, except for a clear direction to only contact AAU about the issue as they will not assist us or explain their reasoning. We have a plethora of sources for this claim.,
5.) The acting school director of AAU told me, Sarah Ryan, directly, that she had “no previous knowledge this would happen.” She even went on to claim “shock” at the turn of events. Therefore while Adobe blames AAU squarely, AAU is claiming complete and total ignorance. I personally find this highly suspicious given the well-orchestrated plan to support Adobe in an advertising campaign, using AAU student work, and AAU real estate. This joint campaign was organized months before the cancellations took place. AAU and Adobe are in a public business relationship. It is self-evident and their joint campaign took preparation, well before the theft of our software, and subsequent push towards adopting the very product on the advertisements. This makes the claim of ignorance absurd, and insulting to all involved.
6.) The licenses installed on our computers make no reference to our software being time limited, revocable, or even student editions. We have read them, with lawyers. Again, written, documented proof.
7.) Adobe will not show us proof that the cancellations were valid. They will not produce any documentation or make any public announcements. In fact I have, in writing, from customer support at Adobe, that no such document exists to prove the time limitation of my software - because there isn't such language anywhere.
8.) AAU will not produce any documentation to support their position to force the adoption of Creative Cloud for current,or past students. They will not prove the terms of the licensing contract with Adobe either. The only public announcement that was made offered no details on how they would support us at all, let alone defend our consumer rights.
9.) AAU’s acting director, Sue Rowley, is publicly telling student reps that we, the students, need to support Adobe’s financial model. This is a direct conflict of interest. Her job is to lead our university and support students seeking higher education. She has instead publicly stated her allegiance and support for a billion dollar company’s marketing strategy. She empathizes with it, and went as far as to tell me I should "want" Creative Cloud. This conflict of interest deserves recognition and investigation.
10.) George Brown College also had their CS6 licenses revoked by Adobe in a similar turn of events. That college was able to have the license keys returned to students, after applying pressure to Adobe on behalf of their student body. AAU has been made aware of this fact, and has not replied to it.
11.) Friday August 26th, 2014 AAU was meant to release a statement about “options” for “alumni (only)” which was never released. Licensure was not dependent upon graduation status at the time it was conveyed, making this statement confusing. AAU canceled their plans to finally make a statement (after nearly one month of requests) and we are still left with no answers.
12.) A Creative Cloud subscription will cost 600$ annually, per person, with raises in rates yearly, for life. This unexpected cost is too much for many to bear, putting their livelihoods in risk.

In conclusion:

We had a contract. Adobe (and possibly AAU) broke it. AAU has done nothing to defend us, and may be complicit in our misfortune. Students are being fed information that is not rooted in the facts, or relevant to the simple issue at hand. AAU attempts to distract us with irrelevant topics and details.

We all had software, which people depend on to make a living, and earn an education. It was stolen without warning, and it has not been returned. It was deactivated from personal computers without their consent. People have lost time, money, opportunities, and in a few cases housing as a result.

Don’t get distracted by the spin, or the superfluous details. This is robbery and people have been massively impacted by it – financially, emotionally, and creatively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Class Action Lawsuit anyone? At least then we can "purchase a new product" as they keep mentioning whenever we fight back. I wouldn't mind purchasing a new product on Adobe's dime. This is ridiculous. I had a customer service rep tell me that he would send me CS2 to rectify the situation... CS2?! Seriously, if anyone is organizing a lawsuit, let us know. I'm sure many of us would love to partake - self included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left AAU with disagreements with instructors, so they don't want contact from me. Also I am not on Facebook anymore due to privacy issues. I tweeted @adobecare waiting for a reply. My CS5.5 versions are still working. Keep me posted on whats happening. Whatever Adobe is doing is unethical. I know its happening to people from other schools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Carey,
Adobe Customer Care replied to your Tweet!
John Carey
John Carey @jvcarey

@AdobeCare Adobe is expiring CS6 license's in the thousands. ? why. I had a valid license which I used for 2 yrs, Now its invalid. - 01 Oct

More Tweets
John Carey @jvcarey

@AdobeCare you are not reading the forums. AAU say its not their problem. - 01 Oct

Adobe Customer Care @AdobeCare

@jvcarey We were informed that AAU sent out an email on Monday: AAU is providing a license extension of Adobe Creative Suite 6 when you call

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah they sent it out. They refuse to show us the EULA or detsils . it is believed that if you accept it, you waive your right to protest the first theft in the first place. Greedy greedy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We regret the recent confusion regarding the Academy of Art University (AAU) and Adobe’s software term usage agreement for Adobe’s Creative Suite applications.

Under the current contract between AAU and Adobe, Creative Suite software licenses are valid for the period of enrollment at AAU only.

As a courtesy to recent Academy graduates and alumni, AAU is providing a license extension of Adobe Creative Suite 6 (CS6) to students who attended AAU between May 1, 2012 and September 1, 2014, and received a CS6 license during that period of time. This license extension is being offered free of charge and will be valid through December 31, 2015.  There is also an option to purchase a first-year discounted version of the new Adobe Creative Cloud membership.

Please call the AAU online helpdesk at 1-888-431-2787 for more information/assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, The current contract between AAU and Adobe has nothing to do with Creative Suite 6 software licenses, as AAU has informed us all that it is strictly offering Creative Cloud now. While the CS6 license extension offering is a step (a rather small one) in the right direction, all it really acts as is a sugar-coated offer in which the issue isn't resolved—it's just postponed until December '15. It really seems like this is just a half-assed attempt to sweep the issue under the rug, hoping that in a year everyone forgets about it. That is an unacceptable outcome from everyone on our end who have been completely screwed over by our licenses disappearing WITHOUT WARNING. Also, the finger pointing needs to stop between AAU and Adobe—we all know that both companies are VERY CLOSE in partnership with each other (clearly evident with the cross-promoting that both companies partake in), so to claim ignorance of the issue is beyond anybody's understanding. Nobody here wants Creative Cloud when our CS6 worked perfectly fine. One last thing, AAU online helpdesk (or anyone at AAU for that matter) REFUSE to show us the terms and agreements for the extended-yet-still-set-to-expire "offering", so clearly something shady is going on with that as well. Considering the fact that Adobe is "offering" extended CS6 serial keys but still trying to hoax us into paying for Creative Cloud via a subscription based revenue model, I find it ridiculous that Adobe refuses to give back the original, PERPETUAL, CS6 serial keys. This ENTIRE SITUATION reeks of business greed, and is utterly disgusting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cut and paste. Cut and paste. Cut and paste = "An answer."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is in direct conflict to the perpetual use license agreement clause with our CS6 software. You can't change the terms after the fact. I am so angry that both Adobe and AAU think this is acceptable when it's obvious to everyone that it is NOT! It needs to be fixed NOW. I want to use the CS6 that is rightfully mine. And I am very tired of being ping-ponged between Adobe and AAU, each pointing the finger at the other. Collusion, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, you regret, Jeff? Let's cut this best for business vernacular. There are people who's promises have been dragged through the mud. My renewed Licenses expired last week. For know clear reason whatsoever. When I try to put the software to use it tells me that I have to sign in and then Fails on every single attempt. Your December 31, 2015 killswitch was not true, and was expedited to March! God, It wasn't enough that I crushed my heart and soul attending a money ravenous private institution out of my own overzealous ignorance and naivete at the time, but now am being punished for it by these content manipulations! Do you know how much I poured into The Academy?? Is this just the final F-U to all the alumni who tried to fight back against the Behemoth?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Link to profanity and promotion of piracy removed... Mod]

[Discussing the problem is fine, that link goes over the line]

Spread the word and upvote for visibility.  The word is getting out fast now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines