• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Academy of Art Cancels CS6 for all current and PAST students. I don't want the cloud. I've been robbed!

Participant ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and the Academy of Art University are in the process of canceling thousands of registered copies of the Adobe Master Collection - v. CS6 without warning, notice, or legal grounds. Be warned.

It's a direct violation of the licensing agreement, and both parties are blaming each other for the theft. I know they are canceling the serial numbers in batches, and I think it is an attempt to dampen the public perception. I am also pretty convinced they are doing it at other universities. I am going to organize a class-action lawsuit. This is theft, and coercion, of the highest order. The think they can force us to use Cloud, and pay them for eternity for the privilege, but stealing our property directly off our laptops.

Adobe is attacking their precious newbies, students, and recent graduates. They are harming the very people who would have supported them in future years, and they should be held accountable.

facebook.com/adobesteals

Please join us. We will only make waves in numbers. Get the word out.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

We regret the recent confusion regarding the Academy of Art University (AAU) and Adobe’s software term usage agreement for Adobe’s Creative Suite applications.

Under the current contract between AAU and Adobe, Creative Suite software licenses are valid for the period of enrollment at AAU only.

As a courtesy to recent Academy graduates and alumni, AAU is providing a license extension of Adobe Creative Suite 6 (CS6) to students who attended AAU between May 1, 2012 and September 1, 2014, and received

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 118 Replies 118
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about all the other non-AAU students and alumni affected?

My license for Adobe CS6 suddenly expired

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picchar, check out the paragraph I mentioned from the second article linked to in my previous post; it says that these conditions apply to academic students WORLDWIDE. I'm sorry that this information isn't from a more legitimate source, but it should be considered credible nonetheless. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks eso2530, but I guess I wasn't clear in my post. It was in reply to the staff member who said:

Rajshree wrote:

Hi All,

We apologize about this issue and we’re working with AAU now to resolve. We will update this forum thread when we have more information.

Regards

Rajshree

I'm afraid, based on this reply, that they will focus on resolving this for AAU students and alumni only. What about smaller schools, or schools in other countries? This affects students, teachers and alumni everywhere and I don't understand how it is the responsibility of the schools when it's Adobe that invalidated all our licenses. It would be so much simpler if they fix the key check and let us use the products we paid for. It's obvious that they want us to upgrade to the CC because from what I can tell, this is only happening to those from schools that have upgraded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm certainly no expert on business law, but it seems to me based purely on logic that if the terms of our licenses were internationally identical, then a resolution for current and former students of AAU should also legally equate to a resolution for everyone else across the globe who's been affected. I could, however, be completely wrong... anyone else know the answer to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither am I, so all I can do is hope they come up with a solution for all of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud-based applications leave consumers entirely at the mercy of corporate greed and monitoring.

I've found it not only easy but very satisfying to dump Adobe's products entirely.  I confess I'd been using the whole bloated mess of CS for so long that I'd forgotten what elegant, beautifully-engineered apps are like.  It's been a pleasure to acquire new, cutting-edge tools written by people who haven't been resting on their laurels for a decade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't only happening to the Academy of Art. Here in the Netherlands, license keys for the Student and Teacher edition of CS6 sold by Surfspot.nl (the software distributor for schools and universities) were cancelled without notice just after CC was rolled out. I bought a license for CS6 (according to the EULA I could use the software as long as I am a teacher), but within 5 months the key was cancelled and no longer valid. Adobe directed me to Surfspot because they sold me the key, and Surfspot directed me to Adobe because they didn't know why Adobe cancelled the keys. Never got resolved... Only option according to both is to buy the CC membership...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnedielis, thank you for mentioning your situation here in this thread; I mentioned it in a similar thread a week ago, after coming across a number of different discussions that had been started all the way back in 2013, pertaining to your specific situation in the Netherlands with Surfspot. I hope that the information that we are able to gather as AAU students/alum will be of some benefit in helping get your issue resolved as well.

This is my sincere attempt to provide some sort of evidence toward the validity of this group's collective "complaint". Since I no longer have access to the Academy's online student resources, I've had to resort to searching the internet for this information. If anyone here still isn't satisfied that this lends some credence to our argument, than I'm sorry, but it's the best that I can do at this point. That said, here goes...

Exhibit A

This was posted in September of 2012, over a quarter of a year after I personally installed the Master Collection on my system. Some quick hyperlinking from the blog directed me to the website of Felicia Chamberlain, who is a creative technologist in San Francisco. After a quick LinkedIn search, I found that Ms. Chamberlain was a graduate instructor and adviser at the Academy from 2008-2013; this can be verified through the sheer volume of other posts by "feliciA" on this blog pertaining to the Academy's Web Design curriculum. Surely, the fact that a faculty member made the statement that the Master Collection came with tuition (in the VERY FIRST LINE, no less) should shed some light on why many of us are under the impression that this was the case.

Exhibit B

This article was published in May of this year, two whole years after I installed CS6, yet the information given here is a slightly more detailed breakdown of what many of us were told upon initially receiving our license keys. Please note the paragraph after the video, "So What's Different with the Adobe Education Versions?", which states that these PERPETUAL licenses can be used even after exiting a university. Granted, this is just general information posted on an unaffiliated website, but it still supports our argument.

Exhibit C

Thank you to oherik for already mentioning this, but I decided to provide a more direct link to Adobe's Volume Licensing FAQ page. Here, it states very bluntly that AVL doesn't (repeat DOES NOT) work with trial versions of the software. If all of you can remember, our educational versions started as just that- trials. It wasn't until we input our unique, single-user license key that the full extended version of the programs would be unlocked for our use. This, coupled with pixelbruin's written statements from both Adobe and the AAU that our keys were wrongfully terminated, along with oherik's verification from Adobe that his was, in fact, an Educational version of the software, should grant some validity to our claims that ours were not volume license keys.

Stimshock, I apologize if I went a little overboard in my previous response to you; I admit that my frustration with the overall situation was misdirected, and I meant no attack. Hopefully now you can see where many of us are coming from though, in feeling like we have been treated unfairly. I'm sure I speak for many hear when I say that it's much more beneficial to us all if we can add you to our growing group of supporters moving forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you eso2530. Taking a look at some of the stuff you've found.

Exhibit A: doesn't really help too much. For one, that is just the word of one woman who may have had a role in the deal, but she may also be operating on second hand info not realizing the significance of the language officially employed by the Academy. We don't know. For another, although she does indeed say:

"yes, the ENTIRE Adobe Master collection comes with Tuition! here's how..."
Right after that she also says:

"The Academy of Art University provides the following software to you free of charge."

That would suggest tuition merely provides access to the license, but does not pay for the license. This is a common way for schools to provide software to students. but again, she could be passing on second-hand info.

Exhibit B: is certainly nice to know, but it doesn't necessarily apply to these licenses since the software was offered through the school rather than purchased from Adobe or a store. If the Academy did opt for an enterprise license to do this, they would be subject to enterprise restrictions or cancellation regardless of educational versions being perpetual.

*The people who are not affiliated with AAU but still faced the same issue are another curiosity that would indicate it was something on Adobes end, though it may not have been intentional based on some of the stuff Adobe folks are saying. For whatever that's worth. I'm just focusing on what happened with Adobe and the Academy specifically right now.

Exhibit C: is picking information from the CLP license terms, NOT from the Enterprise License terms (ETLA). oherik is taking a canned thank you message from Adobe as confirmation for his bias. It is very unlikely the Academy and Adobe would have used anything other than an ETLA considering the sheer volume of licenses required and the need for access to all software (see: Eligible Products for the CLP licenses.) and the fact that all CLP licenses are actually the same serial (which ours are not because mine is different from rjblake865's posted in the chatlog earlier) hence the need to use the ALW site to activate. My license from the Academy did not need to be activated through the site, it worked through the installer from the trial version of CS6 Master Collection, which ETLA licenses can do (see: Software Deployment) It could not have been an EEA license because Higher Education Institutions are ineligible, which I'm guessing is what oherik meant by EED since I can't find EED anywhere. Keep in mind, however, the language employed here has probably changed since the deal was made and Adobe switched to Subscription based pricing/terms for CC.

Speaking of rjblake865, his post does confirm than the Academy purchased an ETLA agreement thanks to the help of the Adobe rep, despite Rob's hostility. This does mean the academy owned the licenses all along, not us. I do feel bad for picchar though, this information has nothing to do with their problem. They actually purchased their license and still lost it for whatever reason. In before: "the adobe rep was lyinggggg" no he wasn't, shush.

Sorry guys, that's it. We never owned the licenses we were using. We could register them to ourselves so we were the only ones legally allowed to use the license, but that does not imply ownership of said license. Current students have two choices unless Adobe and AAU work out a deal to bring CS6 back: Purchase your own license/s for CS6 products (you probably don't need the entire $2,700 master collection) so you know it's yours, or utilize the free vouchers for CC to get your money's worth out of the tuition fees for software access and drink a few less over-priced coffees each month after you've graduated to cover the subscription cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ending your "oh so knowledgeable" comment with an ignorant statement/assumption of "...and drink a few less over-priced coffees each month after you've graduated to cover the subscription cost" removes all credibility to your comment—not that you had any to begin with. It's amusing to read such ignorance and self-righteousness coming from an obvious troll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to discredit any of the information that Stimshock included in his post, but I agree that his final comment was indeed rather inconsiderate. I couldn't help but be slightly offended; don't assume you know anything about our personal backgrounds, aside from the information we've presented here. Those of us who have or are living under a tight budget understand the stress and necessity of penny-pinching, and backhanded comments like that don't do anything the advance the discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just pointing out that the sub costs for single programs aren't very expensive at all. Seriously, a few less coffees would make it totally possible, and every coffee is over priced. Stop looking for reasons to be upset over a reality check. It is a seriously minor inconvenience and people are acting as though it's the end of the world to pay $10-20 a month. If the programs are that high of a priority, you only need to cut out a few frivolous expenditures to get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's a reality check for you.... i don't drink coffee, so your backhanded comment STILL shows your ignorance. Also, it's odd that you're so hung up on the coffee issue. Continuing on, I have over $100k in student loan debt because I didnt rely on Mommy and Daddy to pay for everything. I have a great design job (which I love), but also work multiple freelance jobs to help pay my NECESSARY life expenditures and bills (not frivolous as you assume), and I still live paycheck to paycheck. If you want to sound educated, remove blanket statements and assumptions from your comments. Also, if you're going to continue posting here, might i suggest helping the conversation move forward in a positive note instead of trying to justify your self-worth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop looking for reasons to be upset over a reasonable example solution, calm down. There is no forward to move to: There is no course of legal action we can take about this problem. Sorry that rustles your jimmies, but this discussion is done. I offered 3 completely reasonable solutions for you to move forward with and you're taking it as a personal attack.

Just because coffee doesn't apply to you doesn't mean you can't find a way to free up 10-20 bucks a month with the things you do spend money on. If these programs are that important to your life and career, you can find something to sacrifice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not upset with your offered solutions...in fact, there was a very brief feeling of gratitude for you spending time on your reply. However, that gratitude ceased immediately when you throw in foolish and childish assumptions and statements at the end of comments (along with speaking like your everyone's personal financial advisor). When unnecessary garbage finds its way into comments..I will let you know how ignorant you sound. </>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

Let's stop turning on each other and instead focus on finding a solution to the problem instead of getting angry at each other. That doesn't help in anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, forget the troll! It's a waste of energy, I agree. Get over to the facebook page, and keep spreading it. We are making REAL progress there. facebook.com/adobesteals. Interviews at major news orgs have begun, AAU is finally communicating, and we are nearly 750 people strong. - Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Says the one who cannot or will not even attempt to provide any proof of her claims, sure. Please, look over the information posted rather than trying to dismiss me as a troll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand you are just trying to help people from an apparent lost cause here... but just what if they do manage to actually work something out anyways from the commotion they are trying to bring up here, despite all the legal crap?    Clearly you have lost all hope from the get go, and everyone else here seems to feel otherwise.  You've thoroughly stated your case, how about now just move on, unfollow thread updates and let the thread go on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the unnecessary aggression and misguided accusations may feel like it is accomplishing something, but it is actually causing more of a distraction and actively slowing down the process of resolving the actual problem by demanding the time of the folks who can actually do something beyond throwing out reckless emotionally driven speculation.

Tldr: any solution that comes from this issue was already going to happen anyway, this is just slowing it down by tying up resources unnecessarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no it doesn't, and you're adorable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI, I was contacted by the Academy's Help Desk yesterday via email, requesting to speak to me by phone sometime this afternoon or evening to discuss this matter further. I'll make sure to relay any pertinent information to this group, should it arise. Fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous, I attempted to get to the bottom of this and just got spun around in circles as Adobe and the Academy point fingers at each other.

I will be very cross if this is not resolved....also very out of a freelancing job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My license was expired and this is not acceptable. Like what others said Tuition should have covered the program and we were given a license to work permanently. I hope this will be resolved immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines