• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Application Manager wants my password and I don't have one, never need one. Ive tried every password I know and I don't know what to do now.

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to update Lightroom 6 and Adobe Application Manager wants my password and I don't have one, never need one. Ive tried every password I know and I don't know what to do now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Is it not simply asking for your login password for your computer so that it can install your software?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wants a password? Mine wants a serial number. Are you sure it is asking for a password and not a serial number? Can you show us a screen capture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it not simply asking for your login password for your computer so that it can install your software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other software vendor asks for your system pw on your Mac to install an app... why does Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This space is provided by Adobe, but it is not Adobe support... so other users here are not able to say why Adobe does anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No other software vendor asks for your system pw on your Mac to install an app... "

All the Mac software I've ever installed has done this. So has all the Mac software I've written. You must be using different apps than me/ It's normal because applications need to write to places that are protected - so that viruses can't infect your apps so easily...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not ask for permission.  But your Mac OS does for security reasons!  🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other software vendor asks for your system pw on your Mac to install an app... why does Adobe?

It's not the software vendor asking, it's the operating system - in this case, Apple.

When the installer wants to start writing to your hard drive (that  is, installing or updating software) it needs admin permission from your operating system. This prevents viruses, malicious files and malware being installed without your knowledge.

The operating system launches the dialogue box and asks for an admin username and passsword to allow the installer to continue.

Both Macs and Windows (known as User Access Control ) do this. It's a security feature to protect your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What alerted me, was the prompt box did NOT have the MacOS format I'm accustomed to… but had an icon/logo from ‘Lightroom Classic’ (a padlock with ‘LrC’ on it).

I don’t recall such customized logos on all other MacOS prompt boxes, so it appeared to me that Adobe/LrC was asking for my Admin un/pw. 

A snapshot of the installation prompt boxes is attached.

Ciao, Michael
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -- Mark Twain
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 6.51.14 AM.png

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like an Apple standard box, which adds a small version of the app icon over a padlock. You are right to be alert for fakes, but this looks ok if you actually asked for an upgrade or install. Often the installer app is just "installer" with the standard arrow icon, but Adobe apps have their own fancy apps to do the install. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree that the design of the Apple dialog box could be clearer. I think the Windows UAC dialog box is a much better design leaving the user in no doubt of what is happening.

Many confused people have posted here in the past believing that the Apple version of the box is generated by Adobe simply because of the presence of the logo.

However, that's definitely a standard macOS dialog box.

A similar one is shown here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/381038/what-stops-fake-password-prompts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines