Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Applikationen auf externe Festplatte SSD

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo, 

1. Ich möchte eine externe Festplatze als Speicher für die Adobe Programme/Applikationen aus der CC verwenden, da sie auf meinem MacBook zu viel Speicher verbrauchen. Wenn ich jedoch im CC Menü den Installationspfad auf einen angelegten Ordner meiner externen Festplatte ändere, kommt die Meldung das sei nicht möglich . Woran kann es liegen und was wären mögliche Lösungsschritte oder Alternativen? Ich nutze ein MacBook Air 2020 und habe mir eine externe ssd Festplatte von LaCie zugelegt.

vielen Dank!

TOPICS
CC FAQ , Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dominik, thank you for your question. What file system is utilized on the External Drive? Apple has prepared a help document that discusses the different types at https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/file-system-formats-dsku19ed921c/mac.  You can use the Apple Disk Utility to verify the exact type of File System that was used on the External drive.

Also, please be aware that the drive containing the operating system will still be used for temporary files, shared services, and as part of the download and install process. Most Adobe applications can use the steps listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html to customize the install location to an external drive. The files used to complete the download and install process, however, will still be stored on the drive with the OS until completed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff A Wright 

I didn't know that Adobe now permits installing to an external drive, I was told (some time in the past) that a drive that may be disconnected could only be used for data, not for programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, most Adobe desktop apps can be installed on different partitions, this change started around 2019, and I believe all currently available apps now support the feature. The operating system drive will still be utilized, so it is not a solution for small partitions with low disk space.

Adobe apps may have other restrictions that prevent someone from using the drive in an unexpected location. Mainly if someone is using third-party extensions or add-ons, but the install process supports the custom location.

There is also the risk that the external drive could become disconnected, so I would strongly recommend against using an external drive with a mobile device like a laptop. Personally, I would only use an external drive to store data if I am using a laptop computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jeff, thank you so much. The file system is exFAT. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was informed (some time ago) that a drive that could be detached could only be used for data, not for programmes. I was unaware that Adobe now allowed installing to an external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines