Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Adobe Background Processes

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users, 

We have seen numerous posts regarding the Adobe processes that run in the background. Queries like what do these processes mean, how much CPU speed do they need or are they important to run the Creative Cloud desktop app or not, have always been one of our frequently asked questions.

Our team has created a self-explanatory document for the same. This doc aims at answering all the above questions. 

Here is the link for the article: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/adobe-background-processes.html

Hope this is helpful! 

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about this. 

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 199 Replies 199
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess (but really only a guess):

CC = Creative Cloud (that's easy)

X = eXchange - that's the guess, based on the fact that I had an update pending for all my programs for this CCX process, but after having made the update for one of my products (I think I chose Photoshop first), the other programs were happy and did not ask for an update anymore.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Adobe programs can run fine without the CCX process. Always did.
It may do the job it is designed for, but it should not be forced on us when we don't want what it does

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your reply. It is irresponsible for Adobe to provide void "information" about an update. It could be a vital security update for all we know. And it could take hundreds of megabytes for people with limited bandwidth.

It is also an environmental questions, as each downloaded megabyte harms the environment.

https://www.emergeinteractive.com/insights/detail/does-irresponsible-web-development-contribute-to-g...

They are trying to pull this off again with CCX Process 3.1.1.16 now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I DO NOT NEED ALL THESE PROCESSES!
Adobe needs to stop forcing them on me! We should have the choice to not run them. I keep ending the processes that are NOT needed to run in the background every time I open an Adobe software.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I don't use font sync or any syncs with any cloud, and I use only Photoshop from Adobe. 
I mean, I know that's useful for some users but we could at least have the option to run a clean version. 
If I'm not using any Adobe software there is NO reason to have those background apps running. If I want to sync anything I should have control over it and do it when I want and IF I want to. I know they do not use much BUT nowadays there are a ton of micro background processes from every damn software and they really make the memory and HD speed very clunky with unnecessary resource spences. I had to use Windows Registry Editor to stop those background apps from running. Looks like I've installed a virus on my PC

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plenty of people like to quit everything to make sure resources are available for gaming.  Why not make it easy for us to quite these Adobe background processes?  For me on Catalina 10.15.6, I quit everything Adobe, but the Adobe backround processes were still using 1/8th of my RAM (1gb).  Plenty of other software I use allows me to choose things like if I want it to automatically check for updates.  Why not give us easy control of these processes?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are user-to-user forums.  post requests here, https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a Bash script to kill the background processes: https://gist.github.com/jivanpal/30af7741721e597575e10f5ef8560062

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the least helpful kind of answer. The problem is that Adobe Desktop Service runs all the time regardless of whether the person is using Creative Cloud or not. Every time I start up my computer it runs and uses all my CPU, whether I am using Lightroom or not. I can manually disable it using Task Manager but next time I use my computer, the same thing happens. As someone who only occasionally uses Creative Cloud, I am highly frustrated by this intrusive and inappropriately heavy duty app. If only you would listen to your customers.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years after years, this topic is still relevant. Now I have Adobe Notification Helper (not Client) that uses a full CPU for hours and hours doing nothing. No memory changes, no disk access, no network, nothing. Only a single thread, no lock, no wait.

This is actually an active loop waiting for something that never comes (or may not come often, such as a product update). Burning 100% CPU waiting for product updates, notifications, etc. is really bad design IMHO.  

Please send the following to your developers, this is where the crap happens: 

VulcanMessage5.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\TCC\VulcanMessage5.dll
2020-08-14 00:13
6D8E0000-6D9E2000
[16016] AdobeNotificationHelper.exe

Only one thread (main thread)

; Function at offset 0x38240 into module VulcanMessage5.dll 

6D918240 push ebp
6D918241 mov ebp,esp
6D918243 push ecx
6D918244 push edi
6D918245 mov edi,dword ptr [ebp+8]
6D918248 mov eax,1
6D91824D mov dword ptr [ebp-4],ecx
6D918250 mov dword ptr [ecx],edi
6D918252 xchg eax,dword ptr [edi]
6D918254 cmp eax,1
6D918257 jne 6D918299
6D918259 push ebx
6D91825A mov ebx,dword ptr ds:[6D9A609Ch]
6D918260 push esi
6D918261 cmp dword ptr [edi],0
6D918264 mov esi,1
6D918269 je 6D918281
6D91826B nop dword ptr [eax+eax]

; ---------------------------------- loop <
; endless loop with 100% CPU usage
6D918270 pause
6D918272 mov eax,esi
6D918274 inc esi

; for the first 32 iterations, wait actively. After that use SwithToThread
    ; instead. Fair enough... in theory.
6D918275 cmp eax,20h
6D918278 jle 6D91827C

; This calls SwitchToThread but there are no other thread anyway in the process
    ; so it does not yield execution and returns right away. This make this whole
    ; loop an active waiting loop. Not so good idea!
6D91827A call ebx

; After letting it run for hours, this condition never came true, hence the
    ; endless loop
6D91827C cmp dword ptr [edi],0
6D91827F jne 6D918270
; > loop --------------------------------  

6D918281 mov eax,1
6D918286 xchg eax,dword ptr [edi]
6D918288 cmp eax,1
6D91828B je 6D918261
6D91828D mov eax,dword ptr [ebp-4]
6D918290 pop esi
6D918291 pop ebx
6D918292 pop edi
6D918293 mov esp,ebp
6D918295 pop ebp
6D918296 ret 4

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really says nothing why it is running in background and eating CPU and RAM resources all the time while running. As for me these could be started at starting and using any Adobe app. So why to run it awhile we are NOT running Adobe Apps and maybe in need for other apps - not from Adobe!

Really annoying. 

I'am in trial period but this issue is really important for the decision I will made about buying.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I think it is a shame to work for Adobe and be in must to give such "explanations". Developers of Adobe are lazy/incompetent/deaf or just evil that in years this issue is not resolved as the users would like it to be resolved. Bla bla bla, i.e. "you just need it and shut up, EOT"..... Just great!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you link to adobe's website it may be legal.  here are the rules, https://www.adobe.com/legal/permissions/icons-web-logos.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That was helpful. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely worthless. I don't need reasons for needing these things. I need HOW TO TURN SOME THE OFF! Cloud services I can't use because of lousy internet provider, Desktop Services that occupy 100% of my network bandwidth. Or, more simply, any actual help whatsoever.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry! Adobe are just pushing technological progress in our world. Lousy, lazy and ineffective Adobe programming creates demand for faster CPUs, larger RAMs... Oh, and it is all for our good!

Remember first Adobe Acrobat Readers? 4 mb installation file. Now 500 mb. Any dramatic changes, requiring so many mbs? No! Need for better CPU and newer computer - yes! Ecological? No! World wasting energy? Yes! Sustainability? No! Sales? Yes!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you don't want any background processes and therefore don't want adobe file sync'g/update notification etc, don't install the cc desktop app.  you can contact adobe support for stand-alone installers.

once you have all those ready to go:

uninstall every cc app including preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html
then uninstall the cc desktop app, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html
clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html
restart your computer (don't skip this)

then install using the standalones.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not answer the question "why do *I* need all that bloatware, it answers the question, "why does ADOBE need all that bloatware". All you really need is one simple threaded app that checks a manifest once a week, then disables itself. Not 14 applications running taking Gb of RAM and significant % of CPU at startup.
When disabled, it takes precisely 0.4 seconds to reload them all then I do what to run Adobe Lightroom, which is about twice a week.
You could check for updates on Application Start, that would be fine.
Why are they permanent? Why do they check every hour?
Why is CC Desktop so darned hard to close? Is that some sort of dark design pattern to make us leave it on, reporting back to you?
Please, NO background apps unless they save 10 seconds of load time.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy

I have the Activity Monitor app open all of the time and continuously FORCE QUIT Adobe products running in the background - it's so frustrating. It's like a virus or some kind of HACK that Adobe has applied as I have read in the terms and conditions and there is no reference to this in the text. I suppose we have agreed to use their products and have pressed the AGREE button but, to secretly deceive users with their apps running, hidden in the background is not right. We used to point the finger at Microsoft for this kind of activity. Never expected it here.

Not happy at all.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not like that I cannot stop these unneccsary processes with 'end task'. It's a matter of principle at this point. Sort it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are user-to-user forums.

if you want to make a request of adobe, https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there

Great that your team has created an explanation but I am not happy having a 261 MB app running in the background. I get it that you have done this but I don't want it. Thank you. 

The explanation is not good enough.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, 

these are user-to-user forums.

if you want to make a request of adobe, https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If that was good reason to not leave comments here describing people's issue with this, then an Adobe employee should not have created this thread in the first place. We're here because we want to publicly state that it is ridiculous that this isue exists, and this thread serves as a way to directly say these things to an employee who directly mentioned the problematic thing. An anonymous, private feedback form that does not receive replies achieve that goal. We do not want to submit suggestions — people have done that for years — we want a response.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines