Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Adobe Background Processes

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users, 

We have seen numerous posts regarding the Adobe processes that run in the background. Queries like what do these processes mean, how much CPU speed do they need or are they important to run the Creative Cloud desktop app or not, have always been one of our frequently asked questions.

Our team has created a self-explanatory document for the same. This doc aims at answering all the above questions. 

Here is the link for the article: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/adobe-background-processes.html

Hope this is helpful! 

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about this. 

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 199 Replies 199
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has  become a major issue with my system as well. I did a clean reboot, and set my system up as it was previously, but didn't install any Adobe products, and everything worked smooth as can be.. Then once I installed my Adobe apps, the unavoidable flood of unnecessary processes began, and system performance dropped. I've searched these forums a million times over (as several users have) to try getting to the bottom of this, and the only thing Adobe reps say is "the processes are necessary", which is b.s. and several have proved that. Why can't you give loyal customers a direct answer? Keep at this rate, and once there's a alternative company that offers quality software for artists and designers, that loyal fan base will be gone in a heartbeat. But Adobe seems to not care.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone find out a solution to the countless background processes caused by Adobe? Without Adobe Acrobat installed, my iMac is 10X faster...can anyone reccomend a good alternative to Adobe Acrobat for a Mac?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question has NOT been answered or at least was answered in the lamest of lame ways. This is ridiculous. First of all it literally takes me 15 minutes just to open Photoshop CC and then after that it opens 50+ node.exe*32 processes among dozens of other processes that don't even go away when I close the program. I want my Photoshop 6 back.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the programs need 15 minutes to tart you have a problem with your computer configuration. I have, just to give an example, a computer without SSD who is very slow on starting (the OS and all programs that need more resources than Word does).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not helping. No one is. 15 minutes was probably an exageration, and even if it was 15 seconds, the problem still stands-there are an incredible amount of procceses open when they either dont need to be or just shouldnt be.

>Adobe Community Professional.

I'm not sure if that means you're affiliated with the company or just been around long enough to have made a name, but either way you should already be aware you're about as useful anyone visiting this board as is a soggy book of matches to an irish shoe maker in atlantic fricken canada. thak u.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following command issued from the terminal on unix or mac will kill many (possibly all) their stealth processes:

ps axuwww | grep -i Adobe --exclude='grep' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -9

Adobe might have hidden some more, but this is at least a start.  Also, if they have another process running, they might use it to regularly check and restart their other processes.  In that case, you'd want to run this automatically, say every night, and so you'd need to use your machine's scheduler.  Just put the command into a text file, and then use crontab (mac or unix) or whatever windows uses for scheduling.

I doubt Adobe misunderstands the question and so have decided, for their own reasons, not to allow you to easily stop their processes.  Perhaps they will change their mind, but until then, this is at least a start.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg. this is a godsend. it got some errors and required a sudo, but killed all the Adobe processes.

Adobe Creative Cloud is insidious. It's apparent that the reason these processes run constantly is that half of it (at least) is spyware. Adobe installs all sorts of startup items in multiple locations, that repair themselves if they're deleted, so that Adobe monitoring software is running always.

The other half is probably just bloat. Bad, inelegant code. So they just keep adding processes with each update. They now have a paradigm where you need to be connected to them constantly to use the software at all, and this is 90% for their benefit. They will have no motivation to change this until something newer and more elegant breaks the monopoly, like Sketch was able to.

Adobe has become Microsoft.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Y'all should realize that Adobe doesn't consider these background processes to be a bug - this is a feature to them.

It's how they give us notifications through Creative Cloud that are nothing but ads for other services. It's how they track how we use Adobe products. It's how they make sure we're constantly reminded about Adobe. It's why they don't let us turn off various features. It's how they put Adobe everywhere on my computer, even my finder window even when I don't use Adobe Creative Cloud backup whatever - it's how they inundate Adobe's products into every aspect of our computer that they can.

I've browsed forum thread after forum thread on here and Adobe won't give answers as to how to cut down on these background processes, they just say they have to be running. Even when we aren't using an Adobe product, they're using us.

This comment will probably be deleted by Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also like to know why so many background processes need to be running even when no Adobe apps are open. I sort of understand what those processes are doing, it just doesn't seem necessary for them to run constantly, and often with a high memory footprint. I use an Adobe app probably three times a week. I don't think any of my data needs to be synced 24/7.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Id also like to know why so many background processes are required to run the software. Pretty unbelievable.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no quality response from Adobe? Why would I want to give up precious processing power for absolutely no reason for a product that I pay a subscription for?

Almost feels as if Adobe has taken it upon themselves to make even more money off their customers by mining through their computers.

Just reinstalled Windows to make sure all this garbage was gone, and have yet to reinstall my Adobe software.

I'd love if Adobe gave us a response on this, so that I wouldn't have to cancel my subscription and inform other people who use their software about what is going on here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

h.design  wrote

Still no quality response from Adobe?

Read the “correct” marked answer nearly 2 years ago!

h.design  wrote

Almost feels as if Adobe has taken it upon themselves to make even more money off their customers by mining through their computers.

If someone is mining on your computer without your knowledge, you should pay more attation to the dubious web sites you visit. Adobe cannot afford to do “hidden” activity.

However, there is one product that is a notorious security thread: Flash. If you are visiting dubious sites, make sure that flash is not enabled or even better make sure your system is running in a sandbox.

h.design  wrote

I'd love if Adobe gave us a response on this, so that I wouldn't have to cancel my subscription and inform other people who use their software about what is going on here.

Thanks, you’ve done that. Millions of users will now be afraid and leave the Adobe eco system...

But wait: why should they do that?

I would recommend to you not installing Adobe products if you feel that they are taking your valuable processing time... If, however, you are a professionnel, I doubt that you can survive with replacement solutions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo  wrote

h.design   wrote

Still no quality response from Adobe?

Read the “correct” marked answer nearly 2 years ago!

h.design   wrote

If someone is mining on your computer without your knowledge, you should pay more attation to the dubious web sites you visit. Adobe cannot afford to do “hidden” activity.

However, there is one product that is a notorious security thread: Flash. If you are visiting dubious sites, make sure that flash is not enabled or even better make sure your system is running in a sandbox.

h.design   wrote

Thanks, you’ve done that. Millions of users will now be afraid and leave the Adobe eco system...

But wait: why should they do that?

I would recommend to you not installing Adobe products if you feel that they are taking your valuable processing time... If, however, you are a professionnel, I doubt that you can survive with replacement solutions.

Professional*

Affinity Photo looks appealing. Haven't played around with it yet though. Has anything come out of the bug report you opened?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What bug report? I do not have an open bug report!

Affinity is a great product. But it is not (yet) used in the professional world. I have it on one of my computers.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow you really don't get it. Maybe if you could answer the actual question and tell us why your crap software runs on startup with 15+ Background processes after being disabled. Then stating "If, however, you are a professionnel, I doubt that you can survive with replacement solutions," basically proves what a bunch of corrupt morons you are. This is exactly the problem, Adobe is using the fact that there aren't any better options to exploit customer's computers and defy the rules I've set for the program just so they can monitor my activity. I have one of the most expensive set ups for editing and my SSD starts up flawlessly within seconds with any number of programs on startup until I instal adobe. It then take me 1-2 minutes to reach login screen from full shutdown. YOU GUYS ARE BLOATWARE AND USE YOUR STATUS AS LEVERAGE. DISGUSTING. You are the bottom of human evolution and people like you ruin the world. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know this as well? There is no reason to have the processes running when no abobe applications are open.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to restore my whole Mac to get rid of all of the Adobe software that continued to run in the background, even after using the uninstaller. I have no requested a full refund of the $900+ I spend on Adobe software and services. I have a brand new iMac and I had 33 Adobe programs and processes running in the background just to use a web bases app called Spark. This. Is. Insane.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

skylor wrote:

I have a brand new iMac and I had 33 Adobe programs and processes running in the background just to use a web bases app called Spark.

That's technically not possible. Adobe Spark does not run locally on your computer, but only in a web browser.

The only way what you describe could happen is if you had 33 web browser windows open all on the Spark website.

But again, it's impossible for Spark (a web app) to run any kind of process directly on your system (background or otherwise).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know why. The answer lies with a little process you can't see - aws.exe. You see, the Creative Cloud runs off of Amazon Web Services. If the Adobe background services are running, you can look in your network activity and see aws.exe constantly reading your hard drive and transferring data over the network. Amazon is a C_A operation, funded by In-Q-Tel and developed by DARPA (just like Facebook). I did notice Adobe is moving services to Microsoft's cloud, whatever that means. Anyway, they are probably data mining how humans use the software suite in order to teach A.I. algorithms how to do it. So we're likely teaching our replacements just by working hahaha. But the software still blows my mind after 20 years, so what can ya do.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that little piece of fiction managed to outdo Rudy Giuliani's fantasies. Let's get back to the original question, still unanswered by Adobe. Why is my PC being forced into slave labor by Adobe apps, even when they're unused? It's unacceptable behavior. Ready to truth-tell, Adobe?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there a ton of alternatives out there so just dont install any adobe apps

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just stumbled across this thread via Google search after experiencing the same scenario and looking for a solution.  My PC is used mainly for NLE video editing and DAW audio work where having background processes running without ever have launched them is a NO NO.  Does anyone have a solution for the PC on killing them from running on a PC?  I asked this question on a DAW forum and I received the following suggestion, which sounds promising but I have yet to try it, but it may be a solution for PC users since Adobe doesn't seem to be providing any insight.

Quote:

"The best place to find what is running on your PC is in Services.msc. You can right click on the Windows icon in the lower left corner, select "Run" and then type services.msc in the text box.

This lists all the services on your computer and their respective states, i.e. Automatic, Manual, etc etc

Any service listed with a state of "Automatic", generally speaking, run at startup.

You can change that state to "Manual" so basically the service only runs when you start the program. But as I said earlier, be very careful about tweaking things in Services, real easy to break stuff in there.

I use a maintenance program called "CCleaner" and it has a handy tool that shows all the services that startup on your PC, you can change their startup state in there so you don't have to actually going into services.msc."

So my next task is to identify those Adobe services within "Services.msc" and then to see if this kills them from auto running on startup and doesn't break anything in the process.  Shame, Shame Adobe! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your response doesn't even remotely address the question:

"Why are so many background processes required when using Adobe Cloud apps?"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the reason I'm not going to install ACROBAT on my new laptop and ditching any ADOBE products in the near feature. Even if I got 16 GB of ram this is simply wrong. Too many processes running without reasons when I'm not using ACROBAT.

Right now I'm searching for a PDF tool that does only what I want it to do.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines