• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CC apps and MacOS Catalina (What's broken? What's not?)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone installed the Beta 1 of MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) and tried to use Creative Cloud applications?

If so, which Creative Cloud applications/features work and which ones do not?

Please note: this is not a question about Adobe Creative Cloud support of MacOS 10.15 Catalina (which is distinctly different from whether or not applications or features work).

This is also not a criticism of the Adobe teams; even with early access to new versions of MacOS (which the Adobe dev teams may not have), compatibility updates take a long time.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Thank you, everyone, for your interest in 64-bit support for Adobe applications that are included with a Creative Cloud membership.  Since this discussion was last active additional information has become available. Please see https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html for important information both before and after upgrading to macOS 10.15 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running all the betas (and now the App Store version) since the beginning. Audition has worked fine for me. It's the transfer from one app to another that has been broken the whole time. The work-around I've used is to open the project manually in Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two versions 12.1 and 10.1, should I uninstall one or the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it as simple as importing the project file once opened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Catalina on an Mac pro 2010 with 12 core and a 4K monitor. Adobe hates this combination. So with Mojave, Bridge would run like it had two broken legs. Tech support said they're working on a 4K version. With Catalina, Bridge runs like it has one broken leg, but now illustrator is running a busted leg. Can't wait for the next versions. Long overdue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have they given a deadline about solving the issue to be able to download and install Adobe Pro for Mac Catalina? I am really pissed with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't use either Photoshop or Illustrator. Am getting quite frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE WITH WORK-AROUND: I am running the current cloud version of Adobe CS on a 2019 MacBook Pro which I stupidly upgraded to Catalina 10.15. My issues with Adobe software persist, but only in two functions: Save As & Export. I have found a work-around: by manually changing the currently default .tif suffix in the Save As pane to .jpg I can make it output a jpeg. Another option is to duplicate the file on the desktop and change it’s suffix (example: if I want to make a PDF from an Illustrator file, I can highlight the .ai suffix in the file name and re-type it to read .pdf). Not great, but it is keeping my workflow from tanking, which as a professional user is crucial to my business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I upgraded to MacOS Catalina my photoshop will not change a jpeg to a tiff or tiff to jpeg or pdf to either one. I have to go to my preview app and export and then take it into photoshop and "flatten" the file and then save to what I want it to be. Has anyone else had this problem. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop is crashing constantly, my biggest issue is it won't save out my files. It times out around 20% and never saves them, which is the worst possible scenario ever. I don't know what to do as I have already lost so much work. Also having it time out when I first open photoshop sometimes it won't even open. I keep uninstalling and reinstalling older versions to try and find something that will work. Really frustrating paying so much a month for something and not even being able to properly use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I totally sympathize. I was using photoshop a lot and since upgrading to Catalina, I cannot do hardly anything on it without it crashing. Am so disappointed in this, I pay a subscription for this and Illustrator and not once have Adobe actually emailed me with an apology or an update to when it will be fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a nightmare. I hope they do an update soon as it's unusable. I save out most of my work on en external drive as I use large files. I have been saving them to my laptop and transferring them to my drive afterwards which seems to stop some of the crashing... or its just luck. But if your using an external drive maybe try that. Good luck 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having same issue with Photoshop (manualy have to change the format, but my main concern is about my Macbook Pro gets frozen or restarted every time when I am working in InDesign or Illustrator and do just basic steps, zooming or copy and paste. I updated the system yesterday to Catalina, so I am not sure if there can be any connection with this error. After calling Apple service and visiting the store, there is nothing wrong with the machine, so I assumed there has to be some bug in applications. I was just expecting it will go faster and I am very disapponted and it is also very annoying to restart it twice per day if it already has not restarted on its own. Before Catalina it was doing the same, so I uninstalled and installed again all programmes. As I use apllications every day for work I really need to find the solution or fix the issue asap. Does anyone has the same experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, everyone, for your interest in 64-bit support for Adobe applications that are included with a Creative Cloud membership.  Since this discussion was last active additional information has become available. Please see https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html for important information both before and after upgrading to macOS 10.15 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the Nov 4 link is very helpful.  Thank you.  It   seems  relative minor issues, but still a pain for whomever encoutners them.  I have the Adobe CC subscription, so my Lightroom Classis, Photoshop, Adobe Bridge, Adobe RAW  and Acrobat Pro DC are up to date.  But when I look Apple System information --> Legacy software, ie, 32 bit,  I find 3 entries,  all from Adobe. images below.     BUT when I look closely, these seem to NOT have been used for months??  is this just outdated software that did not get removed with more recent upgrade/installs??   Will they be a problems?.  How do I get rid of them before upgrading.  

thank you for any help.  

mac legacy 1.jpgmac legacy 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wheel264, if you did not uninstall the 32-bit components, before upgrading to macOS 10.15, then you will need to download and run the CC Cleaner Tool as discussed in https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,  thank you for the info.   I have not installed macOS 10.15 as I couldn't afford to break Photoshop and Lightroom.   I don't know how to find and uninstall the 32 bit apps.  I guess that is between me and Apple, but if you have any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.   I saw a link to the CC cleaner tool, before.   It looks like I have to remove Creative cloud, before running it?  will it give me a choice of only removing the 32 bit apps, or is it smart enought to remove only what Adobe isn't currently using? 

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wheel254, were you able to open https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html ok?  Instructions on how to uninstall applications are linked to at the bottom of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I downloaded the CC cleaner app, and then removed Creative Cloud as the instructions said.    It Removed all my Adobe photo applications, only leaving Acrobat.   So I had to reinstall the PS, LR classic, and Bridge.  :-(.      I found two of the 32-bit apps, and put them in the trash.    A couple of the others are in a tmp/.. sandbox.. and I can't even find them.  I also searched for the Zoom application and I can't find it either.??  I've restarted my computer a couple time, and also shut it down.    The applications seem to work again, and all my presets still seem to be present.   

I tried to backup my user/library/application support / Adobe   to my google drive, so I would not have to reinstall all my presets, brushes, etc... 

but I am unable to back them up.  it always fails.    Any ideas how to backup the library /.. / adobe folder.  

I"m also very confused as to why I can't find what Apple says are the 'legacy' 32 bit apps.   

thanks for any ideas or suggestions you may have.  

regards, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Wheel254.  Anything within the Libraries tab is stored within your account online.  

If you do have questions on how to backup any local settings, plug-ins, brushes, etc, then I would recommend starting a new public forum discussion in the forum related to the application you are attempting to backup from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool.  and it removed all my current , active apps. PS, LR, BR.  I had to reinstall everything. luckily my settings were still there.  🙂  tools, presets, brushes, etc. 

BUT it did not remove the 32 bit apps.  they are still there.    What did I do wrong.   

I also can't find the cleaner.log in the user directory as indicated. 

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unsure, Wheel264, if you continue to face problems, then I would recommend reverting to macOS 10.14.  Once at 10.14 please make sure to remove any 32-bit applications before beginning the update process.  The Apple updater will attempt to help you by identifying any 32-bit applications that are stilled installed on the computer, so they can be removed before beginning the OS update process.

You can use the process to downgrade the OS at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/revert-to-a-previous-macos-version-mh15216/mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beware that what they don't tell you is that while the new CC apps work on catalina, once you open a file with the new versions of the CC apps, you do not have backward compatibility.

No sharing files with anyone that is on an older mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends on which applications & files you use.  Dreamweaver is backwards compatible. HTML, CSS and JavaScript files will open in any version that your OS supports. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I uninstalled Premiere Pro and Audition, reinstalled latest versions, got them to talk to one another one time and now Catalina has got me stifled again by not properly opening Audition within PP. Any new ideas since I last asked for help in November?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines