• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Director 12 no longer suported, but subscription still going- Can I keep using Director?

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Director 12 was discountinued in March 2017, but I've continued using the version that I had for many years, and I have been happy using it.  I was paying Adobe a monthtly subscription since 2017 for continued use of the product, and everything was going well.  A few weeks ago, at beginning of June, my Director stopped working and it said that my subscription had expired.  It sent me to Adobe's website to reinstate the subscription, but on Adobe's website my subscription was still in effect, with monthly automatic charges, including a charge on June 11th.  So the software is telling me the subscription is expired, but Adobe is telling me the automatic subscription is still in effect.  I double checked my clock and calendar (in case Director was referncing a different time for my computer, but that info is all correct.  I would like to be able to continue using Director 12 as long as possible, and I do realize that eventually the operating systems will no longer support the executable files that I can generate from Director.  I use it on a local computer for programming interactive files and iteractive visual presentations that rely on heavy coding and computations (which I can't seem to do in a presentation software).  Does anyone know how I can continue using Direrctor 12 on my old computer (old operating system) while Adobe is charging me the subscription for it?  I'm not sure why it stopped working at the beginning of June all of a sudden.  I did not upgrade to any new software or operating systems.  I'm still using the same setup I've been using since 2017 (mainly because I needed to reatin Director).

Alternatively, does anyone know any good replacements for Director that allow in depth coding and being able to manipulate on-screen graphics via code?  Adobe has suggested After Effects and Animate, but After Effects is mostly for video compositing, and I assume Animate is mostly for animating (i.e. isn't run by coding scripts).

Ultimately, I'd like to continune making interactive presentations with in-depth coding capabilites to run on my local machine.  Diector 12 was working just fine, so if I could continue by subscription somehow, that would be great (I wouldn't have to re-do all of my past work).  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macromedia Shockwave is EOL.  And AFAIK, Macromedia Director was never part of the Adobe Creative Suite or Creative Cloud product lines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Director 

Your option at this point is to create new content with Animate CC (formerly called Flash Pro) and export to HTML or some other supported technology as both SWF and Flash are obsolete now.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another option: 

Interactive PDF presentations can be created with InDesign and Acrobat DC.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines