any pagemaker users?

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get a Pagemaker 6.5 CD to list in my Mac OS 11.3 disk utility with 2 listings on the CD:

PLDS DVD-RW DS8ABSH Media

mounting point: External

Adobe PageMaker 6.5 Plus

mounting error 49153

I do not know how to open the application...any help?

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pagemaker 6.5 won't run on any Mac OS after Catalina. Apple no longer supports 32-bit applications and Pagemaker 6.5 is 25 years old.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your expectations are too much. Almost unbelievably too much. Apple regularly change things completely to throw out all the old apps. (Almost the opposite of Windows).

- In 2020, Apple released Catalina Mac OS 10.15. It blocked all old apps from before 2019, including (but not only) all Mac OS X 32-bit apps. But PageMaker 6.5 wasn't one of them and wouldn't run before.

- In 2010, Apple released Lion Mac OS 10.7. This didn't include "Rosetta 1", which allowed Mac OS X users with Intel computers to run "Carbon" apps written for Power PC processors. But PageMaker 6.5 wasn't one of them and wouldn't run before.

- In 2007, Apple released Leopard Mac OS 10.5. This didn't include "Classic" which allowed some apps written for Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9 to run. PageMaker 6.5 ran under Classic (though some people were having severe problems already in Tiger Mac OS 10.4 from 2005.

So, Apple have thrown out all old apps at least 3 times since PageMaker 6.5 ran, and it won't have run for 15 years at least. Your antique software would need an antique Mac, now quite hard to find.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pagemaker users?  Not hardly.  Use InDesign or QuarkExpress.

Even if you could get this installed on a really old machine, there's no way to activate it!!  Sorry.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No activation with PM... just needs a legal serial number.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are thousands of old macs out there running Mac OS 9 (or capable of) that are reasonably priced.

Just type Used Mac G4 into your internet browser.

PageMaker 6.5 did not have activation, so no worries there.

There are also emulators like SheespShaver and Qemu that can run older mac operating systems like OS 9 on your modern mac.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pagemaker was for old Classic Mac OS (before OS X), PowerPC and Motorola 68k computers. Its useless on OS X and Intel machines.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok...well thank you for the information...any other comments would be appreciated....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as your CD error: Your CD won't mount because current Macs (From Catalina onwards) no longer support the old HFS file standard, so despite being able to see it in your Disk Utility, you will not be able to mount it. There is no work around. This includes any CDs you may have written yourself in years past.

This is moot anyway because of your main question: I guess it depends on WHY you want to do this?

As mentioned, you are about 15-20 years too late for this.

I have been a Pagemaker guy since Day 1, so I've seen every iteration of it, and, as mentioned, the last System it would run on "natively" was System 9.2.2, although I also carried it through to OSX in Classic mode up to Tiger (10.4), but it was always better to run in in OS 9.

I personally keep an old Mac G3 around to run PageMaker and other older programs like (gag) Freehand. It's actually quite handy in conversion to InDesign if the PM file is natively all sorted out (re: links etc) beforehand.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freehand MX was OS X-native though.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it was.. and I have that running too, on an OS X partition on the same G3, but really, the older files I needed to work with were older than that. Not many people I knew stayed with Freehand that long anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines