Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Activate CS5 with Adobe-provided, licensed download

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy,

I own a copy of CS5.5, and once Adobe shut down online activation for it, I contacted them, and they sent me files and new license key that I could use to install the software. It has previously been successul.

I am moving to a new computer, and I successfully went through the installation process, it accepted the license key, but now when I open the programs, it says the software is already installed on other computers, and the software will stop working in 30 days. But when I tell the dialog that I have deactivated it on other computers, and that activation should continue, it tries accessing the internet to reactivate, but can't. Because Adobe shut this activation down.

I would contact Adobe directly again, but I apparently don't have access to Adobe Admin Console.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

TOPICS
Activation , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

CS5.5. I installed it from the download Adobe provided for me when the installation from my installation discs would not activate. (That is why I assumed the CS5.5 activation server was no longer active.)

I had done previous installations on other computers, but I moved to a new computer, ran the installer, it accepted my existing serial number, and I thought everything was fine.

Then when I launched a program, it brought up an activation dialog "Activation limit reached." It gave me the option

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe never shut down the servers for cs5 nor for cs5.5.  at least, not yet.

that said, if you're seeing an excess activation count when trying to install cs5 or cs5.5, you can get that count reset by adobe support.  there are 3 ways to contact adobe; chat, phone and twitter:

chat:
use a browser that allows popups and cookies, and click here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human.

phone:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

twitter:
tweet @AdobeCare

p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative. ie, double check for an employee badge if contacted in the forums and look for an adobe.com domain in the email address if you click reply to an email. then check again and be very suspicious. any other method of contacting (or offering to contact you) is almost certainly a scam, https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/staying-safe-in-the-adobe-support-com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

but once you get past the activation count issue, you'll encounter other issues especially because you appear to be confusing a few things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twitter support said they couldn't help me, and the URL you supplied just brought me back to the Adobe Virtual Assistant, which won't let me get anywhere because I don't have the Admin Console. Any other way to chat with them? Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ask for an activation count reset, only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. They said they can't help with anything related to Creative Suite. Even a count reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you buy from or register your cs with adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It's registered with Adobe. I was able to open a case via telephone. Thanks for your help. We'll see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can deactivate yourself then, https://account.adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called support, and they escalated my case and gave me a new serial number, so I'm golden. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's from one extreme to another.

have you installed and activated with that serial number?  can you open an app > click help > and embed a screenshot of that help menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may have misunderstood my original problem. However, everything is fine now. I was just updating you on the resolution. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand your problem is solved.  but if you would help me understand, i'd appreciate it.  ie, i'm trying to get more information to better help others.

to start, you're correct; i didn't understand your original message.

1.  was this a cs5 or cs5.5 issue?  you mention both.

2.  have you installed and activated your cs5 (or cs5.5)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5.5. I installed it from the download Adobe provided for me when the installation from my installation discs would not activate. (That is why I assumed the CS5.5 activation server was no longer active.)

I had done previous installations on other computers, but I moved to a new computer, ran the installer, it accepted my existing serial number, and I thought everything was fine.

Then when I launched a program, it brought up an activation dialog "Activation limit reached." It gave me the option to enter a different serial number, or to retry activation. The retry activation option also said, "I have already deactivated one of my other computers." But the activation retry just churned and churned and eventually prompted me to connect to the Internet, but I was already connected.

I contacted Adobe by phone as the only option that worked, and all I had to do was enter the new serial number to activate the existing installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you.

that sounds like adobe support via phone did reset your activation count.  why twitter support refused to do that was the anomaly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. They said they can't help with anything related to Creative Suite. Even a count reset.

By @perfectword7

Not all of the CSRs are aware that they can still reset the activation count. Technically, that's the only support they're supposed to offer. Glad to see you got a replacement serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines