Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install on external drive [Branched from 2016 topic.]

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
i had the same question. but the way you describe it doesn't work. Creative Cloud doesn't accept when I change the Install location for Applications to the external SSD hard disk. why? and is there any other solution? my amcbook storage is full due to and I just bought a new external hard disk by LaCie.

TOPICS
Installation , New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Yes but I don't believe applications can run properly from an ExFAT drive. it must be a Mac format.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dominik28188785hus6 

if mac, what file system on the external drive?

how much free space is on your os drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kglad 
The file system on the external drive is exFAT
and my os drive has 145 GB of free space  (now, after I put the media data to the external SSD)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copy and paste here a screenshot of the cc desktop app install location setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and this happens when I choose the external hard disc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't install to the root of any drive.

and in the future don't use insert photo, again copy and paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're out of primary hard disk space, you need a new computer.  See the system requirements below and keep in mind that these are minimum requirements. You'll likely need additional HD space for operating system + all other apps you use.

- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy, but that's why I asked if its possible to install adobe applications on an external hard drive. So far it didn't worked in the CC settings, although I didn't try to use the root of the external (as speculated by @kglad ), instead folders I already created. Or does it needs partition of the external in order to change the Install location for Applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics found the problem: macs can't execute apps on exfat formatted drives.  they can read/write to those drives, but not run programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the apps are pretty small, compared to everything else. You will need to change some settings and you'll still need lots of space on the system drive. I agree with Nancy: you need a bigger drive. Unfortunately, the basic configuration of PCs/Macs isn't enough for designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to format that external drive as HFS Extended or APFS to install software on it. ExFAT is a Windows format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics 

macs can read/write to exfat drives, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but I don't believe applications can run properly from an ExFAT drive. it must be a Mac format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah.  thanks for that. i didn't know.

i did some research and found this, 

The external drive must be formatted in some Apple/Mac Filesystem like HFS+ or APFS. If you try to run those external apps from an exFAT or some other non-Apple/non-Mac file system, macOS will complain about a "corrupt or broken" app, even though the app itself would be totally fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Installation on compatible format externals still requires ample primary hard disk space to download and unpack the program files before they are moved to the external.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines