Exit

Can't update Creative Cloud Desktop Error 507

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently on Win10 Pro 64-bit Version 1909 OS Build 18363.900   

Currently on Creative Cloud 5.2.0.436

Anyway my new Camera Raw 12.3 is missing some critical functionality, like crop & rotate. I thought no problem, maybe i just need to update it via Creative Cloud. Creative Cloud does say its up to date, but creative cloud is having its own issues in that it won't update / install. It gets to about 30% then fails with an error of 507, which according to Adobe Support is 

Error code 507: Unable to install the product update as the volume is offline.   

I do not have my install on a disconnected drive. 

Everything is installed on my C: drive.   Everything on my PC is working perfectly well. 

To Troubleshoot, 

I have disabled all Anti Virus and Malware applications.

I have obviously restarted during all these processes

I have used the AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.exe to remove the Creative Cloud and re-installed the Creative Cloud, which it does.. However then when it goes to update, it just fails over and over again around the same time. 

So i'm stuck. I really rely on Adobe Camera Raw, when working in Photoshop, as i visible stamp image then make slight adjustments such as my crops in Camera Raw.  

Hopefully someone at Adobe has answers, cos the error message itself is bogus. 

(Edited By Moderator to remove attached images. See images below in a reply by the OP)

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

After many, many hours on the phone with Adobe Support and finally getting engineering involved, I think I (with Adobe help) have finally solved this problem and in the end it was simple.

1. Close Creative Cloud desktop app by File > Exit Creative Cloud
  2. Search for powershell in Start Search
  3. Right click and Select Run as admin
  4. Paste this command in the powershell windows: 
    Get-AppxPackage -all AdobeNotificationClient | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUser
  5. After this is done. Try to launch Creative Cloud and updat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. So there's no solution? Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add-on, I just spent hours online with Adobe Support, they had control of my desktop so could do ANYTHING they needed to do.  Nothing they did worked, and eventually they just disconnected from me and left me sitting there with my thumb you know where.  But, hey-it's only $60 a month, right!?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully they'll report it to their developement team. I doubt support would be able to fix, because they're not developers. This needs to go to the team that work exclusively on the Creative Suite and its updates, as they'll know what changes they pushed on the last version that's failing for all of us. I think this will eventually just fix itself, once they get around to it, as its on their end during their installation.  I was able to update my actual applications today, that needed updating. Not the Creative Suite itself, just the apps. That's still throwing the same 507 error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed, I very much hope they'll do!

(Recent application updates worked with me, too - but this kind of 'sub-radar' functionality can of course only be a kind of workaround. And who knows if a future version of CC Desktop doesn't lament having been bypassed that way ... displaying error code 508?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your info, and help!
--

*Thomas Logan*
e. info@thebostonartist.com
w. thebostonartist.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All,

I have the same issue with trying to install the Creative Cloud desktop app. I have it all the adobe apps installed on my primary drive but get this 507 error. My user account is a local admin in the computer and the primary C drive is also in perfect working order, I also have no other issues installing anything else.

I tried removing all adobe apps and re-installing but have the same issue with this CC update, so far I've been unable to get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A further update, I can confirm its an issue with Adobe's update for the creative cloud desktop app on Windows, I contacted Adobe support who kept advising the issue was due to my drive being offline even though the drive was online, in perfect order and in use by the system and other software, even other adobe software.

Unfortunately, I've found dealing with Adobe support a pretty lacklustre experience and for some reason, they won't accept or acknowledge there is an issue with their creative cloud update and the way it is trying to detect and install.

Not sure what else to do to resolve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_092120_102200_AM.jpg

 

I have the same issue.  Tried uninstalling and re-installing didn't help.
Also, when I start LRC, now it brings up the splash screen with the whale 3 times before it finishes opening up.
Been using LRC and PS for years, never had any issues.  This is a bit frustrating.
Using the latest W10 pro, 32Gb of RAM, I7, ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up using CC to update itself for now. I've also tried downloading the CC Set Up and running the installer locally. Unfortunately I got the same 507 error code at some number greater than than 40% complete. In the error dialogue box that pops up, if I click the continue button (instead of the cancel button) the installation appears to continue. It throws error 507 again at @55%, @75% and then locks up at 93%, at which point I have to force quit the installer.

I have tried killing Adobe processes in task manager and services (to varying degrees, including all of them). No help with error 507.

I've stopped Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. No luck.

I've checked the Windows/Settings/Storage/Locations - the've been set to Local Drive C: since this computer was built.

Adobe software is all installed at default locations - which is the system drive "C:". Obviously the system drive is online - up & running just dandy.

I had an issue recently with some Waves VST licensing. They use this weird hardware ID thing. Anyway, the Waves license kept getting moved to a "disconnected device - C: drive" which meant that I needed to restore the license to "Local device - C: Drive". Yeah, it didn't make much sense that the licenses were restored right back to the same place. The only thing I can think of is the Hardware ID or something about the system drive changed, causing both the Waves licenses and Creative Cloud update to think the original SSD system drive (Samsung 970 Pro, M2, 512GB, 115GB free) has been changed. Just a guess.

Love the Dorrough Peak/VU Meters from Waves by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same probblem as everyon else.  Trying to install something to D instead of C.  My UWP apps go to C, not D, so not sure why it is choosing D.  Either way D is indeas on line and I have access.  After two hrs on chat support with Adobe (uninstalled, reinstalled, etc.), then was sent to MS.  Spent two hrs with MS on chat, they have no ideas, say contcat Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no solution, but a lot of info here for smart people to further investigate. I colored some of the text below for clarity.

Error Code 507 Update

Conjunction Junction, What's Your Function?

Note: All Adobe applications were installed on my system using default locations for everything. Or so I thought! I did not know that Adobe used UWPs until this update issue arose. The folders where UWPs are installed, the WindowsApps folders, are locked down tight so there was no way to know I had inadvertently installed some important part of Creative Cloud there. Initial installation of CC Desktop carried with it information about where the UWP was stored. On my system that storage location is now deleted, and that is causing a problem with this update. That storage location and the settings in Windows have been gone/changed for 18 months.Why it was not a problem before? No idea.

The problem with the latest update to CC Desktop is with JUNCTIONS in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. Since we cannot have a look inside the mysterious WindowsApps folder, let me explain how I came to this conclusion.

First, some important history...

Jan 2019 - A new beast computer build by me. WIN10 installed via USB, original Adobe CC Desktop installation via Set-Up.exe on an HDD docked in a bare 3.5" dock on the roof of my computer case. In my situation this dock is the N:\ drive. I used the HDD to move files and run installers from the old system, and then moved this HDD to an internal bay as a data drive with User folders and other stuff already on it. As a part of this process I also established the N:\ drive as the storage location of new WindowsApps (UWPs) by using the selector in Control Panel / System / Storage / Change where new content is saved / New apps will save to: option. After all, I just finished making a new, beautiful system drive, and I didn't want to mess it up with these newfangled UWPs. I tried a couple UWPs during system build, but quickly uninstalled them thinking "no harm, no foul". I did not know I unwittingly planted a gremlin via Adobe installer that would rise up 18 months later. Anyway...the computer build & Adobe install were complete in a couple of days, and the HDD was moved to an internal bay and assigned the drive letter E:\. Using the same selector in storage settings I changed the location for new Apps to E:\.

The setting to store new UWPs to E:\ only lasted a few minutes because I decided to make everything on the new system install & store everything in default locations. Also, I was unlikely to use any third party UWPs, or so I thought, so I changed the new Apps storage location back to C:\. The only exception to my self-imposed "default location rule" was/is my User folders (docs, downloads, pics, etc.) which were moved to the E:\ drive during system build.

The N:\WindowsApps folder, which became the E:\WindowsApps folder after moving the HDD, was an empty folder, I presumed, because only a couple of UWP's were installed and uninstalled within an hour. After, or perhaps just before, moving the HDD to an internal bay I deleted the WindowsApps folder on the HDD. I do not recall how I deleted the folder, nor if I had any issues deleting it. I may have had to skirt around security issues, but I just do not remember.

To clarify (this was all in a 48 hour period):

• New Apps storage location set initially to C:\ by WIN10 OS installation
  • I changed new Apps location to N:\ during system build for efficient migration to the new system
  • Installed Creative Cloud Desktop to default locations from N:\Creative_Cloud_Set-Up.exe, with N:\ also set as storage location option for new Apps (the new apps storage setting is for UWPs only, I believe) 
  • After first round of software installations the HDD was moved internal, assigned E:\
  • Changed new Apps storage location to E:\ (for a couple minutes)
  • Changed new Apps storage location to C:\, and it has been the same for 18 months
  • The WindowsApps folder on E:\ (formerly N:\) was deleted

Everything was smooth sailing for updates to CC Desktop and other Adobe applications for a year and a half, from CC2017 through CC2020. Then this latest update to CC Desktop rolls out.

Before messing around with everything, the installation of this latest update was throwing error code 507 because it wants to put files or something in the original install location of N:\? This is the first CC Desktop update failure on this system, and I hate to see the streak come to an end. This update is clearly different than past Adobe CC Desktop updates.

I also did a deep dive on the Windows Registry to see if there were references to new Apps being installed on the N:\ drive. Found it here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageVolumes]

There were three entries for install location of new Apps - one each for C:\, N:\ & E:\ as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageVolumes]

"DefaultVolumeKey"=dword:00000001

"EnableExternalVolumes"=dword:00000001

"NextVolumeIndex"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageVolumes\1]

"Flags"=dword:0000017a

"MediaId"=""

"MountPoint"=""

"Name"=""

"SISPath"="C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageVolumes\1\MutablePackagesOnline]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageVolumes\2]

"Flags"=dword:0000007b

"MediaId"="{20202020-2020-2020-D29E-C3D381AB6A89}"

"MountPoint"="N:"

"Name"="\\\\?\\Volume{81a40d89-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}"

"SisPath"="N:\\WindowsApps"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageVolumes\3]

"Flags"=dword:0000027a

"MediaId"="{20202020-2020-5241-D4F4-0D20E362CF67}"

"MountPoint"="E:"

"Name"="\\\\?\\Volume{b895bad6-785f-4a89-81aa-6c63d1616321}"

"SisPath"="E:\\WindowsApps"

In RegEdit, I exported this registry segment (selection) using "File / Export" while [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\PackageVolumes] was selected on the left side of RegEdit. Then I deleted the registry entry for the N:\ drive (the red section above) by right clicking its entry on the left side of RegEdit.

Then I attempted the update again. This time I got error code 44 - I am not sure how far into the installation before the failure because I was chasing down a cup of coffee. But the result was a failed uninstall CC Desktop, so it never got around to installing the new one. Uh oh. So, now I cannot update because I do not even have a program to run anymore.

I ran the Adobe Clean-Up utility - option #6 (Creative Cloud Desktop Only). Then I restored the registry entry for the N:\ drive. Then I downloaded a Creative Cloud installer - https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html and ran set-up again. The installation failed around 93% (I do not recall the error code for this fail), but it installed enough of the CC Desktop software to open. Yay. I am guessing it finished the install and was attempting an update when it failed. Regardless, the program was open so I tried the update again from inside CC Desktop app - it failed at 38% with error code 507.

Seems like I just went in a big circle. I did, but I also got some information along the way, and learned how it relates to the early part of my computer build, which is why I provided those details at the beginning of this post. All of these error codes are related to a missing drive or directory, or a failure to install files. What's going on inside the enigmatic C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder?

Just for grins I deleted the registry entry for the N:\ drive and tried the update again. I do not recall how far into the installation it went before failure, but this time it threw error code 191. I went through this cycle a couple times before concluding:

1. With the registry entry for N:\ I get error code 507
  2. Without the registry entry for N:\ I get error code 191
  3. I have no idea if this distinction has any bearing on the issue with updating the software or if I just created a different problem.

Windows will not let us in to peruse the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder, but we do have a DOS command prompt available - let's do a DIR command. Here are the relevant items (the last line is only presented here to show a difference from the Adobe entries):

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps>dir

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is [redacted]

Directory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

09/05/2019 04:53 AM <JUNCTION> AcrobatNotificationClient_1.0.4.0_x86__e1rzdqpraam7r [\\?\N:\WindowsApps\AcrobatNotificationClient_1.0.4.0_x86__e1rzdqpraam7r]

09/05/2019 04:53 AM <JUNCTION> AdobeNotificationClient_1.0.1.22_x86__enpm4xejd91yc [\\?\N:\WindowsApps\AdobeNotificationClient_1.0.1.22_x86__enpm4xejd91yc]

02/23/2020 10:46 PM <DIR> AFF540DC.HexEditorPro_1.0.7.16_neutral__v7353qx4kg3sa...

Ah, those are JUNCTIONs, not directories, and they are pointing to a non-existent location. Why is it a problem this time and not a problem in the dozens of previous CC Desktop updates? I'd like a closer look at these JUNCTIONs, but we can't mess with the ownership or security settings of the WindowsApps folders without breaking the system, so we are locked out. I tried using various options and attempts of Robocopy to copy the JUNCTIONs to another drive and folder that I have ownership and permissions of, but the only thing I got was an empty, regular folder with the same name as the JUNCTION. I thought about replacing the JUNCTIONS in the WindowsApps folder by deleting the JUNCTIONs and Robocopying the new empty, regular folders back into the WindowsApps folder, or just doing a MD command in the DOS prompt to make an appropriately named new folder. But decided to post this information here first to see if we can figure this out.

How do we fix the JUNCTIONs' functions?

Does this issue go beyond a registry entry? Well, it goes beyond the one that I found. It may still be solved in the registry, but I haven't found it.

Extra Info:

The drive dock on the computer case is kept in use exclusively for nightly backups, and it still has the drive letter N:\ assigned to it.

WIN10 did an update on my system July 15, 2020. Don't know if it's just coincidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello slovill - very impressive & very plausible research work: Your 'gremlin' might explain the problem with my system in a way, too: A year ago I changed the New App default drive from C:\ to D:\ (quite some time after having installed all Adobe Apps via Adobe's installation management to D:\).

But would this suffice to create a gremlin? Is CC D'op the only Adobe App messing with its home drive? And aren't there a lot of users around who obviously sticked to the default installation drives and didn't try New App location & mysterious UWP? And hasn't CC D'op been updated several times during the last year (frankly, I don't know) so that the error might have appeared earlier, after changing default locations.

Anyway - high time for some official Adobe bug fixing so that we no longer have to do THEIR work: Hunt the gremlin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @slovill

Thanks for the detailed findings, having a read through I decided to check my registry keys and I noticed the below.

I have three numbered package volumes, 1 is the C drive and 3 is my current E drive. One thing I had forget was that a number of years ago I cloned and swapped my E drive with a new drive (same volume letter) and number is number 2 is the old E drive.

Aid81_0-1595925604113.png

You can see also in this registry key Windows sets the default drive to use which is set for E drive. I tried changing this to 1 then ran the update but it appears that the Adobe update was still hitting Package Volume 2 and not even reading the Default Volume Key.

Aid81_1-1595925723622.png

So I then removed the 2 packagevolume key and tested the upgrade, this time my Adobe update error was P1 which proved it was still looking for Package volume 2. 

I then renamed the packagevolume 3 key to 2 and changed the defaultvolume key word to 2, then tried again and this time I got an error to say there was something wrong with the installed folder (or there abouts) so I tried to do a repair through add/remove programs then it complained that the installation was already running. I killed all adobe services running and tried again but it then didn't find the install folder.

So I downloaded the creative cloud installer/updater then I ran it from that, and funnily enough, that seemed to have done the trick and it installed the update.

The super weird thing in this too was that the app is and was installed on the C drive ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe") anyway so technically the E drive should never have even come to play

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe"

Not sure why but this particular Adobe update(r) does not appear to be looking at the DefaultVolumeKey dword value, never had a problem with any previous updates was just this one and the creative cloud app was loading and running.

Thanks again for your detailed findings it definitely helped and gave me some ideas, I hope my experience might help someone else and hope Adobe looks into their installer/updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Aid81...Brilliant! I have tonight's gremlin hunt lined up. I am so glad you found something that worked for you. Fingers are crossed that I and others will use your info to our own advantage. I'm too tired right now to try anything. Gotta catch some ZZzz's before my client call in 3 hours.

On a side note, I think the app storage location we are referring to here is not about the Creative Cloud.exe program that is in your program files directory, but rather some sort of Adobe installer or administrative UWP (Universal Windows Program) app that is stored in the WindowsApps folder. Maybe some smart and nice Adobe person will jump on this thread and set me straight on that.

The WindowsApps folder is where UWP apps like Bing Weather, Your Phone, Napster etc. are stored, and that is what those registry keys are about. A program's menu bar can be a tell-tale sign of a UWP app. UWPs usually have a "hamburger" menu, while traditional programs have the File Edit Help etc. pull down menus across the top of the window.

Anyway, thanks for jumping in, and wish us all luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for such a detailed post.

I did the following and got the update to run:

I had PackageVolumes 1, 2 & 3 in the registry. Using the info above, I deleted PackageVolume 2 and then renamed the PackageVolume 3 key to 2 and changed the defaultvolume key word to 2, then tried the update again from the Cloud Desktop and it installed without any issues.

Hope this helps someone to get past the error.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Adobe. They've finally fixed the issue, as predicted on its own. This morning i turned on my main editing PC and Adobe said Create Cloud had an update. This time it went off and completed to 100% and then completed to this version.

Creative Cloud.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations! But no improvement here - I still get the same error code ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, Jeez Louise !   This morning it told me there was another update to Creative Cloud, and guess what ?  Error 507 again.  So part of your update code is still having issues Adobe. You had your finger on the button, cos it updated on yesterday's update, but then somehow implemented the bad code again in your latest installer.  

Back to the drawing board for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheDoc46, part of the new release of the Creative Cloud desktop app also uses UWP to install a required component.  Please download and run the CC Log Collector tool from http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html and then begin a chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html so the specific error you are encountering can be corrected.

Please also bookmark https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/customer-support-portal.html which provides information on how you can update your recent support cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All,

I thought I'd give you an update, I was able to get my creative cloud app updated and working but now there is an adobe XD, I've been trying to install it but get the exact same error. The other complication is that now I can't even uninstall and reinstall the app.

Before doing anything with the registry for adobe, you are prob better off uninstalling all adobe apps except creative cloud, make the changes then re-install the apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still can't update... is this it? Are we stuck with this version indefinitely? Hope there's no new features we're missing out on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheDoc46, don't want to bother you: Did another talk with chatty Adobe help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just pinging here again to see if anyone has a real solution to this or othe info.  I had some Photoshop updates today that went through fine, but still no luck on CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is it for CC. Adobe lacks the technological knowledge to fix this issue. Let's hope none of the future app updates gets this bug or we're in big trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines