• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can we Install Lightroom Classic in Windows S Mode?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I'm a professional photographer and have been using Lightroom Classic since 2017. My wife has gotten into pro photography as well within the past year. We were recently gifted a consumer grade HP PC that runs Windows in S Mode. I don't usually use consumer grade computers and I've also been on the Mac OS since roughly 2017. As a result, I'm unfamiliar with this new S Mode concept on Windows.

Am I able to install Lightroom Classic in S Mode or do I have to take the OS out of S Mode in order to accompplish this?

Thank you for your help!

-Justin

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

No. That's what S mode is supposed to do. The idea is the PC can run only apps from Microsoft's App store - no exceptions. It's a way of locking it down as a very limited PC. Tip: leaving S mode is forever; there is no going back.

More info: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-s-mode-pros-and-cons/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. That's what S mode is supposed to do. The idea is the PC can run only apps from Microsoft's App store - no exceptions. It's a way of locking it down as a very limited PC. Tip: leaving S mode is forever; there is no going back.

More info: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-s-mode-pros-and-cons/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other tip: you will each need an Adobe subscription to any apps you want, just in case you were thinking of sharing. Doesn't come with a family option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help! I had a feeling what you shared was the case, but wanted to double check with the experts since I'm very unfamilir with the new updates to the Windows OS. Last time I used Windows professionally was before all the cloud apps became tightly integrated into the OS itself. One Drive was a new concept at that point in time.

I got my wife her own sub to Lightroom and was planning to make her a new Catalog with only her work in it that she could use moving forward. But with this new knowledge of Windows S and the limitations for installing professional apps, I may just return the consumer grade PC that we were gifted. It doesn't seem the right fit for professional work if you have to 'break' it in order to run a professional program. I'd rather just get a system meant for pro work.

Thank you again for your help!

-Justin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines