Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC installed app updates on wrong drive :-(

Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

From my Creative Cloud Desktop, I started an »update all« process, which affected some ten or so apps. Hours later I found out, that all those updates have not been installed on the default drive (where the previous versions were located) but on a different one. Which therefore has no more free space left now ... What the ...!!!

Is there some smart way to move them back to the right drive? Or do I have to uninstall and re-install them one by one?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

No, I am sorry, Klaus, you will need to use the process listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html to remove the current installations. 

Any future installations using the steps listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html or https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html will use the custom location.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Klaus, sorry for the inconvenience. What location were the updates installed to?  Did you previously use the process listedhttps://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/change-install-location.html to customize the install location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your fast reply!

The updates have been installed to my drive c, which is just a small SSD that is actually meant to hold OS stuff and the like only.

No, to my knowledge I did nothing in order to customize/change the install location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the confirmation, Klaus. By default, Adobe applications are installed to the same drive that contains the operating system. However, you can use the process in https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/change-install-location.html if you wish to change the default location to the external drive.

Please be aware that the Creative Cloud desktop app, and shared components and resources, will always be stored on the same drive that contains the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That setting already shows the correct location ...

Klus_0-1635275572863.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Klaus, the dialog in your screenshot is the sync location. Please click on Applications and then scroll down to adjust the default install location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh, I see. Thanks.

But that won’t move the wrongly installed apps to the correct location, will it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am sorry, Klaus, you will need to use the process listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html to remove the current installations. 

Any future installations using the steps listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html or https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html will use the custom location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By now, I wonder if this »wrong-install-location issue« could be a result of my decision to start the update-all process with the checked »delete older installation« or so option. Because that was the only difference to previous update runs I did in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the actual disk to which they were installed? Or are you assuming, because C is now full?  I ask because a lot of things MUST go to C (the 'C for system only' idea is just a dream). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the actual disk to which they were installed? Or are you assuming, because C is now full?

By @Test Screen Name

Not sure if I understand your questions fully.

My c drive is fine now again, after I uninstalled about 6 Adobe apps – that all have been installed there mistakenly by Creative Cloud Desktop.

All my Adobe apps are located on my drive d normally. This is definitely something to be kept unchanged by any updating process, I’d say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saying did you CHECK the disk where the new apps were installed? Not just look at disk space and say it must be the wrong disk. If you're not sure how to check, let us know.

> This is definitely something to be kept unchanged by any updating process, I’d say.

Not at all. Updating from 27.1 to 27.2, perhaps. Upgrading from 27.1 to 28.1, this is an entirely new install, and could go to any drive, whether you are keeping the old version or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still don’t seem to get your point. Why and when should I »check« my drive c?

The problem here is not my drive c, but an updating procedure, which in my case did not actually update the apps on drive d, but did a fresh install on drive c instead – without asking my consent to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines