• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC is installing Silicon version of InDesign on my Intel!

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a 2017 iMac Pro running on OXS 13.1 Ventura. It of course runs on Intel. All my other apps are Intel version. When open "Get Info" on the apps, it specifically says Intel. The only one that says "universal" (AKA the Apple Silicon M1/M2 version) is my InDesign, and that's the only one I'm having trouble with. It freezes as soon as it launches. The pinwheel spins non-stop and the only way to close it is to Force Quit.

I have reached out to Adobe already and they remoted into my computer, but it was no help. They've un/reinstalled InDesign (including previous versions) and Creative Cloud, and removed all preferences. They even sent me a link to an Intel specific version, and it still installed the Silicon version. 

I'm not sure what else can be done. Someone please help!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are two different installers. one for silicon and one for intel.  ask support again for the link to the intel installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"universal" does not mean it's the M1 version. It actually is a normal way of putting more than one chip type in one file. Today, Universal means it is both Intel and M1. This is the normal thing for apps (other Adobe app are unusual and out of step with most software). So I don't think this is the cause of your problem. Wish I had a suggestion where to look next...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only one that says "universal" (AKA the Apple Silicon M1/M2 version)

What @Test Screen Name said.

Universal means that it will run natively on both Intel and Apple Silicon. So, that's not the reason that InDesign is freezing on launch. Something else is going on. Suggest you post in the InDesign forum.

See https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple-silicon/building-a-universal-macos-binary

You could try these steps in case it's a corrupt font issue

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-or-incopy-freezes-or-1.html

See also. (Ignore the DLL option which only applies to Windows)

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/indesign/kb/crash-on-launch.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @qntang,

As @Test Screen Name mentioned the universal app ain't a problem and you will see that more often for a few years with the Intel and M series MAC's coexisting, the same happened during transition from Power PC to Intel MAC's. Universal app is just an app that is compiled with support for multiple architectures(in this case Intel and M series). The benefit of this for the developer is that they can share a single app file to the user and be assured that it will run fine on any machine that supports the architecture catered by the app. So this should not be the cause of your troubles because even if you get an Intel binary, the code executing would still be the same as is currently.

See the following link for some more details on the subject

https://www.howtogeek.com/823008/what-is-a-universal-binary-on-mac/

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If ID is crashing,  open your crash logs to find out what the culprit is.

It could be something simple like a bad graphics driver or an incompatible graphics card.

Refer to latest ID system requirements below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines