• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changed install location but only moved the exe file ?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, 

ive just changed my after effects location and uninstalled and re installed After Effects. But now i only have th .exe file on my new drive. I want to understand why this is the case and if it even makes a difference ? All the plugins i had are still working too. Its a brand new drive and i dont really understand why i have "656" folders inside the Folder where i installed but non of them are showing up (even enabled show hidden mode). Is it at least running from my ssd now and what is going on there ? And do i have to install plugins over/on my old drive, since i dont see any folders from the application on my new one. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS/EDIT: I changed the install path for adobe creative cloud programms over the client and uninstalled and reinstalled for the process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you must uninstall the app that's in the unwanted location , change the install location and then reinstall.  in that order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad  yes i did that, but now i saw what my problem was. Somehow the "Adobe After Effects 2023" has an Icon so it looked like its the .exe file but its a folder. Inside there is my Support Files Folder. Thats all i have left. Is it possible that all of the other stuff is just located where my Windows is installed and its getting linked to that to access my other plugins ? Like Sapphire or Continuum ? Cuz every plugin that wasnt installed manually is still working. The other ones i had to move back in my Support Files folder under "plugins"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you uninstall using the cc desktop app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

if you have used the proper procedure to uninstall and reinstall the App via the CreativeCloud App you also have to reinstall some of your Plugins if they are third party and not via the CreativeCloud App installed. Sometimes Adobe finds the old pathes and look into them for the Plugins.

Hope that helps.

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad no, i just uninstalled over the adobe creative cloud client. Im scared to loose all my data tho if i "manually" uninstall and have to reinstall some plugins. Also some plugins might wont understand where to be intalled, since they dont have an installer sometimes so i cant chose where they install. (could only speculate if it finds the new location automaticly)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Henrik Heigl 

Thanks alot Henrik, yes that helped me understand why the plugins i installed still work(besides the ones that had to be installed via the "support files" folder.

I bought most of my plugins but some crazy expensive once with anual payment i chose to install via its legal "installer" that doesnt let me chose anything, just runs and installes. Since im not sure if its working after manually deleting all files from my windows drive that have something to do with adobe, ill just leave it like that. Since, how you said, adobe seems to be able to understand where to get the data from my old drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, i don't know what you want then: install adobe apps on another drive or leave well enough alone so you don't have plugin problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a bad idea to install software other than the boot drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moving the install location on moves the install folder that contains the exe (and many other files).

it does not move the other files adobe uses.

< moved from using the community >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change location, uninstall, reinstall will move the EXE and files the EXE needs (which were in c:\program files or /Applications). It sounds as if you expected more to happen than that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, are you on a Mac, by any chance? A single app file in /Applications (or whereever) actually is secretly a folder and has thousands of files. That's what Macs always do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines