Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud Installer breaks Internet connection

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the new macbook 14" and want to install the creative cloud app. however, during the installation, it kills my internet connection and I can't do anything. only after I quit the installation, the internet comes back.

I did multiple tests. such as restarting the router, rebooting my macbook etc. The internet always breaks during the installation and comes back when I abort.

Does anyone know how to resolve the issue?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using a browser that allows popups and cookies, contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me too, on PC, Windows 11. Installing or updating Photoshop or Illustrator kills my router. This looks to be a common issue as I see a lot of people reporting it. It only started for me in the past couple weeks. 
I have AT&T fiber. It kills my router whether I conect over ethernet or wifi, whether connected directly to the AT&T modem/router or the connected Orbi mesh. I even did a system reset and a fresh install of Photoshop did the same thing.

No other programs or large downoads do this. Only creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an app can completely kill (break rather than slow down) a network connection, then there's a fault in something. Possibly the router. I've had problems with specific apps like this, and upgrading the firmware of the router was the solution.

Here's a suggestion: if you see this problem please reply with 

- your ISP (AT&T in the last post)

- any routers you have in your house or office between you and the ISP

- the final router (often provided by the ISP)

The reason is, this sort of cataloguing often shows us a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, here are the things you asked for:

• ISP: AT&T, Fiber
  • Orbi RBK753 mesh system
  • ISP Router: Arris BGW210,  Software version: 2.14.5

I have connected my PC straight to the AT&T Modem to eliminate the Orbi from the equation, and get the same behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven and Sersun, if the modem provided by the Internet Service Provider cannot sustain a fast enough connection, please get in touch with the service provider. They may need to review the connection to the modem or replace the modem itself. 

I ran into a similar situation after a neighbor moved into the downstairs apartment. My modem would disconnect when using data-intensive applications. The cable company came out and confirmed there were problems with the connection to the modem, corrected it, and even upgraded my cable modem all at the same time.

Alternately, you may want to look at a utility to control the application's amount of bandwidth. Feedback has been provided to allow the ability to limit download speeds, similar to the sync function, but that won't resolve any current problems with applying updates. I would recommend bookmarking https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/release-note/cc-release-notes.html to keep up to date regarding improvements and enhancements that have been implemented in the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff. If I was in your position I would be saying the same thing. And I will absolutely see about a new router from the ISP. 

It is just interesting that only CC brings down the network and other people are reporting this too. My router can sustain very fast throughput in other apps just fine. I run speed tests at over 800mbs with no problem. Other applications like Steam and MSFS202  will handle much larger downloads at higher speeds than CC when it installs an app.I'm not saying that fault is entirely with CC, but I wonder if something in CC updater needs to be optimized. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sersun, you are always welcome to begin a secure chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen to have the matter investigated.  Based on your most recent post, though, I would recommend looking at the modem next.

No amount of software reinstallation will compensate for a hardware failure. However, if you rent the modem from the Internet Service Provider, the entire service will likely be covered.  If you use a cable modem, then a technician can check the signal level remotely.

The other option is to limit the amount of bandwidth made available to the Creative Cloud applications and services.  If you decide to go down this route, please make sure the software is just throttling the amount of data and not damaging or malforming the packets sent through.  I have seen more than one download error caused due to software throttling. 

You could also try using the operating system's low data mode when applying Creative Cloud updates.  You can turn off everything but mandatory updates by following the steps listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/update-app.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably better to describe that the Adobe update kills the network on my PC, not my home network. Other devices can access the internet. So, it's not a router/broadband bandwidth issue. I've looked at Task Manager on my Windows PC and all the network traffic is for Adobe updater and nothing else gets a look in. I have many items of software that update on my PC and none do this, including Windows itself, when downloading updates. Microsoft OneDrive can rapidly sync files on my PC, some rather large given there are photos and videos, and, again, my PC is still usable.

My workaround is simply to disable auto-updates on Adobe apps and manually update when I know I'm not needing the use the PC. Ideally, I'd prefer the updater not to consume the entire network bandwidth of the PC device which must be possible given other software packages can manage it. But, in the meantime, my workaround will suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, here are the things you asked for:

• ISP: AT&T, Fiber
  • Orbi RBK753 mesh system
  • ISP Router: Arris BGW210,  Software version: 2.14.5

I have connected my PC straight to the AT&T Modem to eliminate the Orbi from the equation, and get the same behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, same here. I noticed from earlier topics that some advice was get a faster internet connection! Well I have a fast connection but Adobe just simply eats whatever is available. Any quality updater will throttle itself so as not to impact the user, or indeed anyone else using the same router. My only answer has been to disable auto updates and manually update when I know I'm going to be away, say just before going to sleep. But having to leave the PC switched on all night isn't exactly environmentally friendly. Having written downloaders myself this is not complicated. This software is not free, it's not cheap...please just get it sorted Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem today. I did not change anything regarding my connection. It was working fine and starting today I can not update (or have the desktop client runnung) without loosing the connection. It only occurs with CC. And yes...the CC Service ist not cheap! This is not acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have that very same issue.

My internet connection is via ADSL and I get about 13 Mbit downstream, but this is usually fine. OneDrive sync, Steam, no issues here.

It is only, singularly and reproducable the Adobe CC Update process that hogs all available bandwidth and makes the internet connection unusable for everybody in the house. Even the connection from my PC to the router via wired LAN is slow.

What the hell is this thing doing? Most applications may use the available bandwidth for downloads, but slow down when other devices oder apps have connections. Not the Creative Cloud, though.

This is really annoying, especially when I have to dig for ten minutes what app is doing this, only to find that it's CC which is not running, not on Windows autostart and which supposedly has automatic updates turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encountered the same thing yesterday (Creative Cloud apparently taking down my router) and decided to do my due diligence and thoroughly test the scenario.

First was my home network. It's a fiber optic connection (1gbit/1gbit) which comes into the apartment via an enterprise Cisco Systems router. Every time Creative Cloud attempts to download any of the Adobe apps, it stops at around 70% and crashes the router. The entire network goes down while the router does a hard reset (takes about 5 minutes to do this). After which point the internet connection restores and Creative Cloud attempts to resume the download. Every time the download resumes, the internet connection will remain up until Creative Cloud re-attempts the download, where it will crash the router and cause it to hard reset again.

After doing multiple tests (including ensuring nothing else except the computer running Creative Cloud is hooked into the router) I have been able to reproduce the issue in 100% of cases where Creative Cloud will be downloading an App or App update at the time in which the router dies and performs a hard reset. Shutting down Creative Cloud restores the router's stability. I tested this stability with Creative Cloud closed by deliberately maxing out my 1 gigabit connection with multiple downloads (from a data intensive application like Steam for example) and the router remained online and stable. However, when I booted up Creative Cloud again and downloaded an App (After Effects 2022 for example) the router died and hard reset again.

Pretty conclusive, however, I wanted to dig deeper.

The next day I went into my workplace/studio which has a robust enterprise-level cable connection with full-enterprise infrastructure. A handful of us use the Adobe and Creative Cloud suite. I started Creative Cloud and attempted to update one of the Apps... a few minutes later, the entire office/studio's internet went down, causing everybody to go offline! Once again, Creative Cloud had crashed the router. Thankfully, I warned our IT guy about this first. As soon as I closed Creative Cloud, the connection was restored to the studio. With IT's blessing, I performed another bandwidth intensive download of lots of data using another application and the connection remained solid. But, once again, I booted up Creative Cloud and the entire studio lost connection to the internet again because of the router being taken down.

That's 2 for 2. One in a home scenario on prosumer/enterprise-lite hardware with a fiber connection, and one of full studio enterprise gear with a cable connection.

Sounds to me like Adobe has some investigating to do, because this issue is pretty nasty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add that it happened again this evening. 3 days the network and internet service was working fine and stable (the same 3 days where I did not need to open the Creative Cloud app). This evening, there was an update for Photoshop, so I opened Creative Cloud and started the update. A few seconds later, boom, the network goes down and the router performs a hard-reset.

For additional context, we had the IT guy at our studio/workplace also investigate the issue... he is worried that it may be part of a greater security risk and is taking steps to report the situation to tech blogs for further investigation. Seems like Adobe might be up for a rude awakening soon if the issue turns out to be problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked for firmware updates for the router? It seems clear this must be fixed by the router maker, and that if a router can be crashed by an application (even if it does foolish or malicious things) then the router is a security weakness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for respionding. As stated in my first post on the topic, this has happened in multiple locations with multiple routers and infrastructure setups, ranging from pro-sumer enterprise-light models such as Cisco Systems, through to full enterprise-level infrastructure, like Ubiquity Networks. The other members of this topic/thread have also expressed experiencing the same issue on their individual hardware arrangements and can consistently replicate the issue precisely when Creative Cloud is performing updates to the Adobe suite of applications.

While I appreciate your heart is in the right place, this thread shows the overall pool of different hardware scenarios where the issue is present is diverse enough, while the steps to reproduce are consistent enough, to the point where "it must be the router" is a poor assessment by this stage.

But, for full disclosure, yes, I can confirm firmware is up-to-date on all of the equipment within my own experience with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I have a question for you, @-ChronoWolf- You tested the connection in, “multiple locations with multiple routers and infrastructure setups” but are you using the same computer in both scenarios or did you test this on two different ones? If so, what are the two systems and do they differ from each other? I read through twice and may have missed the answer, but I am curious about that variable. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain, thanks for responding.

In each scenario/environment it was a different machine/computer. Both were desktops (the one at home, and the one in the office/studio). I can provide detailed specs for each machine upon request, however, at a high level, they are made up of quite different hardware components. The only solid commonality between the machines is: both are running Windows 10, and are connected to the network via Gigabit ethernet (not wireless). Neither of them are using any special or additional 3rd party firewall/security software that manages or monitors the connection, and both are up-to-date with both Windows updates and the latest hardware drivers, and using the latest version of the Creative Cloud application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that further explanation. It's all very curious. Last December, Adobe estimated they had 26 million subscribers worldwide. It's reasonable to say the vast majority are able to download and update Creative Cloud and Adobe apps on a daily basis without breaking their Internet connection. What is the outlier? It's not the router, it's not the network connection, it's not the computer configuration, there are no conflicting firewalls running, and equally-heavy software from other developers download without issue. Any chance you have VPN software installed, even if it isn't being used?

I have had sluggish download times for some updates, typically around the 70 percent mark, but eventually the task finishes. Maybe 15 minutes was the longest I remember. I've never had any software downloads, Adobe or otherwise, knock my network out, though. I don't have particularly fast download speed (225-250 mbps) on cable, connected by Ethernet cord directly to the gateway, and also run Windows 10 (Pro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found this. Note, it's not verified by Adobe but maybe worth a shot as another elimination. Look in the "hosts" file in this location: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Open it with Notepad. Are there any Adobe entries listed that might be blocking your machine to connect to the Adobe Activation Servers?

JainLemos_0-1643647636153.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed a most curious issue that has affected a handful of folks (as indicated by those sharing similar experiences in this thread and a few other posts, based on a search of similar topics), but I can appreciate those affected are indeed a minority compared to Adobe's large customer base. Still, it is concerning given the nature of the problem. It's one thing to have an occasionally slow connection, and another entirely for it to knock out a router.

I will admit, I too was skeptical if it could be the Creative Cloud app. But after a lot of testing, it became clear the steps to reproduce in different environments using different hardware and infrastructure are so consistent you can set your watch to the router going offline and performing a hard reset the minute you attempt a download of an app via Creative Cloud... at least in my case.

I can confirm there is no VPN service attached to either network scenario. I also checked the hosts file and found no entries related to Adobe or their servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree it is concerning, even for one user. What do your home and work router Diagnostics show? To get the reports, type your IP address into a web browser and use your UN/PW and the access code on your gateway. Then look at either the Logs and/or Event Notifications to see what error message you got at the time you got knocked off. Depending on your provider, you might have to access this info in another way, like through a dashboard. I'd love to see what it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thought after looking through the troubleshooting tips here. Troubleshoot Adobe Creative Cloud install issues with log files.

You might want to collect the log files and contact Adobe to review them. How to use the Creative Cloud Log Collector tool (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has happened to me twice now while installing / updating CC software. Only through dumb luck finding people on Netgear forums with the same issue did I discover the cause. I never would have put 2 and 2 together on this one, even though I'm a huge computer nerd. I've never seen something this ridiculous happen before.

Fix yo ish Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines