• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud is always listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud app always seems to be listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks. Is this normal behavior? Is there something that CC is doing in the background that requires it to draw energy? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple calls it App Nap, I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to talk to the Adobe engineers about it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ll give Adobe the benefit of the doubt and say that that isn’t their official response. However, it would be nice to know that they’re at least working on the problem, which is a major flaw for MacBook users. After several updates and all kinds of announcements, there has been zero indication that any progress has been made in nearly a year.

There are plenty of background update checks and file sync routines that don’t eat up nearly this much battery life. In fact, there are plenty of apps that don’t eat up this much battery life when actively in use.

It’s more than a minor nuisance to quit Creative Cloud every time you pull the plug. And if you forget to quit it for a while, you’ve burned hours of battery.

The alternative is to keep it from launching automatically, but that makes file syncing useless. It also means remembering to check for app updates, the frequency of which is supposed to be a selling point of the subscription model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox manages syncing files, and doesn't over use energy, and the menu actually works like a menu item (with their own look and feel, that Adobe kind of copied)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to let those replying on this thread know that our engineering team is aware of this issue and it is planned as something to be addressed in a future update to the Creative Cloud app. I am a Macbook Pro user myself and understand the impact firsthand. Thank you to those that have posted here. I've referenced this thread and customer feedback here as examples to help change the high performance GPU requirement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So any update on this issue yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on Mavericks on my iMac and would appreciate an update.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confidence inspiring, guys.  It's September 2014 and the stupid update checker menu bar app still kills my battery for no good reason.

You're doing a bang up job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so now its July any news on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe responded to this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to me that the problem has been addressed with CC 2014. Since upgrading, I haven't seen Creative Cloud listed as an app using significant energy.

That's great, but also disappointing. I thought the point of CC was that we would no longer have to wait a year for a major release to fix major issues such as this.

Also, upgrading all my apps to separate new versions was terribly disruptive and time consuming. Most of my settings did not transfer over.

Now I see no difference between the CC release cycle and the CS release cycle other than that once I stop paying, I can no longer use any version of the software, old or new.

This is being discussed at length here: Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it was not addressed.

The latest update of CC has taken it to No.1 in Energy Impact list on my MacBook pro.

Congrats Adobe. It's a victory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m definitely seeing a marked improvement, and I haven’t seen CC reappear as an app “using significant energy” in the menubar list.

However, in Activity Monitor, CC is still consistently using more energy than any other background processes. I would be curious what other users are experiencing.

Has anyone found documentation on the bug fixes that came with CC 2014, including individual apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And are you on Mac?

I am on Mac and not that lucky yet. Despite doing nothing useful CC is still number one in draining the battery. Here is a screenshot of how it looks most of the time: http://take.ms/NRSZ6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, on a MacBook Pro. Energy impact for me is generally floating between 7 and 10 in Activity Monitor (not sure what those units are). That’s lower than it used to be but still high for what is primarily an update daemon with file syncing (based on other background apps in the list).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7–10 is quite a lot for such a little background app that does not actually do anything.

Just to compare: Photoshop consumes 3–5 when idle, Dropbox – 0.1–0.2, Safari 3–6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just killed CC on my MacBook and my battery is much happier. On my desktop machine I have permanent licenses and will avoid moving to the subscription versions for as long a possible. Adobe's new model is terrible for a small business like mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution: quit creative cloud and run it periodically to check for updates manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This App should be a native app, not some cross-compiled piece of code. Just kill the App and run it every few days or ones a week to check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2014 Jul 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem on a brand new Retina Macbook, 13" (so only integrated GPU).

The avg. value ist about 12.5. That is just not acceptable. CC is meant to make things easier, especially updates, but if it needs so much energy, it's just not worth it.

I looked at the current values when opening the CC app and doing basig things like navigating through the menus (no updates!) and it's almost laughable how much energy it needs.

You have to change fundamental things about how this app works, very soon. If you do not, things will only get worse and worse because it gets harder and harder to really change the basics of you're code.

I love your software products and really appreciate the whole concept of the CC, but it's way from being even good. And the energy problem is an addition to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. New 15" Retina Macbook Pro with discrete graphics. The only solution that works is to exit creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is still there, 280 days since the original post. We've gotten two responses from a single Adobe employee, one to ask the customer if they've "tried turning it off and on", and a second to finally acknowledge the problem, 192 days after the original post.
Of course, for the low low price of $30/mo, who's counting...

Adobe Creative Cloud 1.71.418
Mid-2014 15" Retina Mac Book Pro 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M running OS X 10.9.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy. Even VMware Fusion running Windows 7 with Excel and Word running uses less power than CC. What in the world is CC doing with all of the resources it consumes?

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 12.13.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree that this software cost as low as $30/mo. If you calculate few hours mothly trying call support or finding why the software you paing for won't work... What's the avarage wage in US per hour?

Now you can see the real price of the software that will never be yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Macbook, and while I haven't seen it come up as an app using significant energy, it is still number 1 on the list most of the time.

I just unchecked start at login and only open it to sync and update. Annoying but hey I'd rather annoy me than my battery.

Hopefully Yosemite will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2014 Oct 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't, I'm on Yosemite and it is still in the list of the apps using significant energy. If you watch it in Activity monitor it's showing activity every few seconds, it's #3 on my list of current energy impacting apps. I wonder what is so important that it has to be that active?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines