Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud Let Down? (Teachers)

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Just putting this out there to see if anyone else is in a similar position..

I am a self employed guitarist and music teacher. I teach in multiple schools during the week as well as contributing to a couple of well known guitar tuition sites both in the uk and us.

This involves the use of creative programs which at the moment for myself are on mac, Final cut mainly, as well as using dslr cameras to shoot tuition videos and send to finished article to the mentioned sites. 

I have just built a PC and I was looking forward to getting into after effects and taking on premiere and Photoshop.

I was recently informed that because i don't have an in house institutionalized email I do not qualify for the creative cloud teachers eligibility which i find strange as I am as much of a teacher as anyone else and I;also involved in a number of creative projects that the package would benefit from.

There is a massive new growing industry of people like myself who are self producing tuition material who also teach in schools and college and would benefit from being able to have access to the creative cloud package but couldn't justify the full price. To give you an idea of this growing industry a friend of mine released a tuition package teaching musicians how to use these products. and it sold very well.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there is in a similar frustrated position of not being eligible and wonders of Adobe are missing out of a new industry and new customers?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, Adobe must protect its obligations to share holders.  If academic eligibility were opened to all self-employed artists who teach that would pretty much include everyone here.   And Adobe would be "giving" away the store.   How long do you think they would stay in business?

I sympathize but you need to find an institution to officially hook up with -- either as a teacher or student.  I don't see any way around it.

Nancy 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when the music teacher retires? Less money coming in and suddenly a bill of £51 to continue using products which I bought and thought I'd have for life a few years ago. It would never have cost £600/year to keep these products upgraded in the past. My household income has more than halved. I've been loyal to Adobe for years and now it feels like they are dropping me like a stone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what upgrades you mean.  My upgrades to Creative Suite typically set me back USD $1,200 every 2 years or more.  

On the subscription model, upgrades are included with membership.  No extra purchases to make when you upgrade computers or change platforms.

Affordability is a relative term.  When one uses software professionally, it's an essential tool to have.  When used for hobbies, it becomes less essential. 

Adobe, Microsoft and Apple don't offer senior discounts.  As far as I know, no software company does that. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you retire then you no longer have a professional need for Adobe software, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Nancy said.

There are thousands of people in your position from school kids to grandparents and everything in between. These days everyone's a teacher, even if they only upload an occasional YouTube clip.

To "prove" education credentials, serious teachers affiliate themselves in some capacity with recognised teaching institutions and get an edu email address. Sounds like you're already halfway there.

My wife has been doing event management informally, but professional paid gigs, for over 20 years in various capacities in non-profits. She recently completed her Masters degree in Event Management to be taken seriously by the Event Management industry. She now gets access to various professional benefits such as industry memberships.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A pay stub from an educational institution may qualify as proof to receive the discount:

Proof of eligibility

For eligibility verification, documents dated within the last six months are considered current.

The present ID that includes your name, the date, and the name of the educational entity or an official document such as the following:

• Institutional paycheck stub
  • Letter on official letterhead from the registrar of the educational entity indicating current employment

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/student-teacher-edition-orderfulfillment.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Presumably you have a professional CV, you have certifications and evidence of background checks, your company files taxes with the Crown Revenue Service, and you have other trappings of a working professional? Surely an invoice or letter from one of the schools confirming that you teach for them would be evidence of your work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines