• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 activation fails (on El Capitan within VMWare Fusion 12)

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can't get my CS6 activated. It's installed on OSX 10.11.6 that runs in a virtual machine of VMWare Fusion 12 on an iMac 2020. Adobe Support confirmed to me that I have one of my two activations ready to be used. But they can't help (they say) with technical issues during the activation, as they themself can only deactivate an older installation but not activate a new one. And as CS6 isn't officially supported anymore that's all they can do and I shall ask the community here to find answers and solutions. That's what I do now.

Description: CS6 is installed and updated. Java is installed too. When I open i.e. Photoshop, I am asked to either continue the 30 days test version or license the product. I choose "license" and another window appears, saying that I need to register. I click on "register now", type in my account details and click "register". But all that happens is that I am redirected back to the previous window. No further message. It just doesn't get beyound that point.

The message's texts may be slightly different in CS6's English version. I am running the German version and just translated what I read. But it shouldn't be way different.

Can anyone please help me?

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't and don't need to register.  select the other other when asked to register now.

you only need to activate your cs6 and if it's not already activated, you will be prompted after choosing to register later (or never). at the activation prompt, enter your 24 digit serial number (6 groups of 4 numbers) and if that's accepted, installation should complete.

if the installation completes of the activated cs6, you can then see how it runs/works.  good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but perhaps I wasn't totally clear with my description.

The problem is that I can not activate CS6 because I am not taken to the point where I can put in my 24 digit serial number. That would probably be next to the point where I have to log in with my Adobe ID. But when I do it just takes my back to the log in prompt but not to the serial number prompt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you shouldn't be prompted to login with your adobe id unless you have or had adobe cc installed on your vm.  did, or do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I described in my first message: CS6 is installed on my VM, I updated it, I tested it (with a different Adobe ID) for several days and it works fine, though of course only within the 30 days testing time. I now returned to the VM's snapshot before my tests and wanted to activate it with my own Adobe ID. That doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to solve the problem. If anyone has the same problem ... that's what I did:

1. Disconnect your Mac completely from the internet

2. At the first start of CS6 with any app you will be asked if you want to try it for 30 days or register

3. If you have bought CS6 and have a serial number choose to register

[perhaps after that there was another window with an error message taht you have no internet acces - continue without internet)

4. This will take you to a window where you have to fill in your serial number

5. If you click "continue" you'll be informed that there is still no internet connection and asked if you want to activate offline

6. Thefollowing window has the option "I can't connect to the internet" [or similar] - click on that and re-connect with the internet afterwards

7. Next you need a request code [German: Anforderungscode - not sure what that is translated to English] to be generated. Get this code generated. and that leads you to a window where you will have to fill in the answering code later (point 10 here)

8. You will be taken to an offline activation website of Adobe where you fill in this "request code" [Anforderungscode] and also the CS6 serial number.

9. After you have done, you click on "generate answering code" [German: Antwortcode generieren]

10. Fill in the "answering code" and click continue

11. In my case this worked and I was told that CS6 now successfully got activated and is ready to use unlimited

I didn't take notes of what exactly I did to solve this. I just tried and did it without thinking too much. There might be some different steps on the way to get CS6 activated offline, but in general it is possible. So, just try my my instructions above and if you come to a point that I missed to list, do whatever you feel makes sense and I am sure it will take you the right way. If I managed to do this, you can too. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO, this is too much fuss & drama to keep using outdated software from a decade ago.  Why bother when you can have the latest Photoshop CC plus other great apps & services for only $10/month?  Or you can buy Photoshop Elements 2021 for under $100  -- both way better than CS6 and compatible with modern equipment.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, opinions ... everyone has their own and that's okay. If Adobe would offer different CC bundle options, i.e. to choose Photoshop plus Indesign together for $10/month, I would maybe agree to do a subscription for that. But the only bundle they offer is Photoshop plus Lightroom, of which I only use Photoshop. What I do need too is Indesign (not as often as Photoshop) and Illustrator (once or twice a year). Also I don't need ALL options that CC 2021 offers to do what I want to do. CS6 is fine for everything I am doing. In 2013 I have paid for CS6 quite some money and why should I not use it and pay for something similar that I already own.

"Outdated" doesn't automatically mean that it is rubbish now and doesn't work fine anymore. That's the same with almost everything based on technology. Do I need a brand new car when my 20 years old car runs fine? It depends on what my expectations are and what I want to do with it. If I am fine with a 20 years old slightly rusty car or a decade old app, why spending money on new stuff.  What is more environmentally sustainable - to use something as long as possible or to buy new stuff all the time, just to always have the newest and best?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can work with rusty software but I can't.  I need to stay compatible with what my clients use.  They use modern software & equipment.

Adobe's a la carte pricing costs more but it's there if you want it.  

• Photography Plan for $10/month +
  • InDesign for $21/month +
  • Illustrator for $31.50/month on a 1 month plan that can be cancelled anytime without penalty.

Or look at Affinity products. They're not perfect but they're comparable with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When running a business Adobe's pricing perhaps doesn't matter. And of course as a professional you have to be competitive. But there are people around who are doing creative work for private associations, for communities or just for friends - entirely on a non-commercial basis. So, there is no budget to pay $60+ per month.

Like me, people paid a lot of their private money for Creative Suite some years ago with one aim: to have decent tools at hand even if the "job" they do is not a business but "only" voluntary. That's why we want this rusty old software keep running. At that time it was the best we could afford and it still works very well, once Adobe's stumbling blocks are overcome.

Affinty's products are very good and I bought all three apps. But I am working with Adobe software since 1991 and all the shortscuts and the way the tools work and the settings have to be done has become part of my DNA. So, doing the same things with Affinty is surely possible, but a bit like trying to write with the left hand if you are right-handed. That's the main reason why I haven't switched to Affinty yet. But I want to work more and more with Affinty to hopefully say goodbye to Adobe in a few years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines