• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has anybody figured out how to install photoshop 6.0 in windows 11?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody figured out how to install photoshop 6.0 in windows 11?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Download and Install forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could try compatibility mode, but i doubt you have a compatible os.  and you can't activate anyway.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe activation was first introduced with Photoshop CS. So there was no activation on version 6.0 (if that ancient version is the one the OP is referring to).

But as you say, Windows 11 is likely to be incompatible anyway since it's several software generations later than version 6.0 was written for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS has been locked out by Adobe,  No way around it.  No internal fix.  Has nothing to do with windows 10-11

NOT CS

I have tried multiple sources to see if I can get a fix on loading the old Adobe 6.0. (  NOT CS) I get a "corruption error"  and it shows that there is some sort of leak. It is not a lockout problem as the program I recently  loaded it to a Windows 7.0 computer and it works fine.  Any one have a solution for old 6.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean CS6 or the REALLY old version 6 from before Creative Suite?

Two ideas that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10 or Windows 11
-RIGHT click the program icon or EXE and select a compatibility mode in the pop up option window
-and/or select Run as Administrator to assign FULL Windows permissions
-also https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/create-local-administrator-account-windows.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running Adobe Photoshop 6.01 (the one from year 2001) on my Windows 11 laptop successfully for a year. In order to do this, you must install it normally using the Adobe Photoshop installer, and enter your serial number. There is no online authentication for this version (i.e. you do not need an Adobe account.) The application should be installed in the C:Program Files (x86) folder. Once installed, before launching the app, go to the Photoshop.exe application icon, right click the icon and go to  Properties>Compatibility. You must select "Run this program in compatibility mode for " and set the compatibility mode option to "Windows 98 / Windows Me".Screenshot 2023-03-16 105424.png

Once installed, it works fine. The only issue is that every time you launch the app or open an image file it will prompt you with a User Account Control Prompt asking "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this works you are my hero!  I personally have tried evverything. I have had multiple "pro" help.  I had Geek squad look at it.  It ran fine until a windows update.  Currently it runs for about 2 weeks and crashes with a "critical error" message.  (which is my current status) I will respond if it is a success but it will take a week or so to see if it sticks  sher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say I'm surprised it's not stable.  Win98 and Win11 are light years apart.  PS6 had a 3-5 year shelf life.  You're way beyond that now.  Time to find a modern photo editor.

Photoshop Elements 2023 would be a major improvement over what you have now (no subscription required).

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 12 months). Includes the following:

• Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
  • Camera Raw
  • Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
  • Lightroom Classic
  • Portfolio website + hosting
  • Adobe Express (free starter plan)
  • Bridge
  • 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
  • Free upgrades for paid subscribers

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Premium Adobe Express ($10/month).

• Adobe Express app (web and mobile)
  • Premiere Rush (video editing on desktop and mobile)
  • Photoshop Express (mobile)
  • Spark Video (mobile)
  • Spark Page (mobile)
  • Adobe Portfolio + hosting
  • 100 GB of cloud storage
  • All premium templates and design assets including the collection of over 160 million royalty-free Adobe Stock photo collection.

https://helpx.adobe.com/express/using/express-overview.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion! But, I am 75 yrs and don't need a more robust program.  As fun as a new program might be I fear my learning curve may be too long and too slow.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm pretty sure the learning curve for the current photoshop isn't as steep as what you've been doing trying to get ps 6 to work.  plus, there's a lot more help/tutorials available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 75 yrs and don't need a more robust program. 

By @Sharon27529446k1i3

================

Not more robust but newer.

Elements is a light version of pro-level Photoshop.  The learning curve is not steep. It's actually very user-friendly and can do more than PS6 ever could.  Honestly, you'll kick yourself for not trying PS Elements sooner.

Try before you buy.  Free 30 day trial.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/download-trial/try.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to tell you but it isn't even CS6.  It is Adobe 6 before there was CS6.  It was just that the 6.0 had become a good friend. I was with a retail start up in 1999. I photographed and photoshopped about 20,000 photos in my tenure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only issue is that every time you launch the app or open an image file it will prompt you with a User Account Control Prompt asking "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?"

By @blake28911801ogwu

UAC can be turned off in Windows settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where in settings can this be turned off?  I am willing to give it a try if it is adobe specific.  Right now the message sends me into an endless loop of reinstalling the app and is a roadblock to completing and running the program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where in settings can this be turned off? 

By @Sharon27529446k1i3

See here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-disable-user-account-control-prompt/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is more daunting than what am trying to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying endless configurations the best I have been able to do is get the program open and operational but..... if it is closed.... and i try to open it again it I get the critical error.  It then need to be re-installed.  You have to keep it open. to accomplish that small success I did the following:   This software Photoshop 6  does not automatically install when disk inserted nor will it install from autoplay on  D:.  I must go into the Photoshop 6 folder and run it from setup.exe   No icons appears on either bar or desk top.  Now it is installed. Before trying to launch program I did as shown above, right click photoshop.com logo and (after much trial and error) in the mode box mode I selected  XP service pack 2. (/me did not work)  Now from C: I hit the photoshop.exe icon and the program loaded.  I ignore a 'scratches" message and I am set... for now.  But, if I close the program the next time I try to open it I get the critical error and it has to be re-installed.  Now that I know this much I will try the suggestion of try to eliminate installation loop message  "do you want to make changes" when installing from AutoRun on D:  Maybe it includes something that allows for reopening the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems like a disproportionate effort for ps 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 6 can't read your computer's memory.  The computer's memory is too big for it.

You will continue to have nothing but problems with PS6 on a new machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably right.  If I cannot get it right today I will look into one of your suggestions.  I appreciate you sorting through all your options for one that might suit my needs,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am giving it one more try. I still have an old Windows 7 laptop it works with. zzzz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! Worked 100% on my HP Win 11 laptop. I thought this was going to be the end of the road for PS6, but no.
Thanks heaps! I know there are far more advanced image editors out there, but it's extremely rare for PS6 not to do what I want, and I can use it in my sleep.
Hats off to all the people they show on the startup list; you really did an excellent job 20 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one minor quirk; PS6 uses the old school file menu, and it doesn't support large or extra large Icons.
So the folder seems to be empty until you click on just "Icon", "List" or "Details."
It always  defaults to Extra Large Icons. Does anybody know any way around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean Windows File Explorer Icons? Those defaults are handled by your operating system.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-default-view-for-windows-1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines