• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has my Photoshop CS6 gone forever?

Participant ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, experts. For several years, I have used Photoshop CS6, which I bought from Adobe in 2013. It cost over six hundred British pounds. I installed it on my first flat-screen iMac (a 24-inch). Then, when I purchased a 27-inch, mid-2010 iMac, (running Mac OSX Yosemite, I think), I installed it on that, also, and stored the first iMac away (there is a possibility that even though it has a very old operating system — I think it is El Capitan — it may be needed if my 27-inch iMac dies).

Later, when High Sierra was released, I installed this new operating system onto a different partition on the new iMac, and installed Photoshop CS6 on this different partition. It is likely that, when I did this, I first de-activated Photoshop CS 6 that resided in the first partition, because everything worked fine, Photoshop-wise. High Sierra has remained in use ever since.

Recently, Photoshop started to malfunction (the layer blending modes would not function), so, as had been done several times in the past, I decided to uninstall it and re-install it, hoping that it would work properly then. I used the Adobe-given serial number to do this (this must be entered before the installation process can begin).

Unfortunately, after such a long time of using Photoshop, it did not occur to me to de-activate the old installation, before installing again. When I tried to activate the new installation, a window that opened kept asking me to activate the installation, and when I clicked “activate”, an alert kept saying that I was not connected to the Internet (even though I certainly was). Then, I tried clicking “connect later” (the other option provided, with seven days grace before Photoshop use expires). However, the only thing that appeared was not Photoshop, but the same window, saying the same thing. Whichever option I clicked, the same window appeared, again and again and again. Below, a screenshot is inserted ( I hope — there is an attachment paper-clip, but I thought the picture would show here, right in the middle of my posting. Anyway, read on).

This brings me to my first question, which is: has my failure to de-activate fouled things up so much that I shall never — by normal means — be able to use my copy of Photoshop CS6 again? Even if I had de-activated the old installation, I would find the process of getting Adobe to validate to new one, to be very daunting. I have read about this elsewhere, and I don’t think that I would be up to doing it. Besides, I did not de-activate!

The second question is this: assuming that, in failing to de-activate the old installation, recovery of this app has now been rendered impossible, is there anyone out there that can and will tell me how to bypass the activation window, and thus give me back the use of my precious Photoshop CS6? My copy is perfectly legitimate, and there would not be anything illegal or dishonest in doing this. If you could tell me what to to, you would earn my undying gratitude!

P. n. r.

TOPICS
Activation , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

if you still have access to a previously used computer, you can reinstall cs6 and then deactivate.

you can't bypass the need to activate (to use beyond the 30 day trial), though there are options including activating offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you still have access to a previously used computer, you can reinstall cs6 and then deactivate.

you can't bypass the need to activate (to use beyond the 30 day trial), though there are options including activating offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, kglad. The copy of Photoshop on the other, previously-used computer, was working fine when I discontinued using it and stored it under the bed. I would not want to lose the working copy of PSCS6 on that machine because, if my presently-used computer dies (it's already had troubles that needed part-replacement), I should be compelled to use the old machine again, as I would be unable to buy another. I have read so much about installation problems for PS CS6, that I should not want to risk the difficulties of re-installing it that I have read about, when it already is potentially working fine, and only needing the old machine to be recalled to service.

However one question remains unanswered, and I should be grateful if you could and would answer it. It was: Did my failure to de-activate Photoshop foul up — irrevokeably – the possibility of re-installing it on the same machine? Or is there some way of having a fresh start (Adobe's forgiveness, as one might say)?

With kind regards,

True to form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

failing to deactivate isn't necessarily a problem.

and you are allowed a max of 2 activations.

otherwise, you've posted inconsistent info so it's not clear (to me) your current situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, kglad. As I continued to thresh about, looking for a solution, I went to my Adobe Account, and saw that, though the serial number of my Photoshop CS6 has been saved by Adobe, another tab shows that no apps are activated. It would seem, therefore, that Adobe has lost interest in how many installations of CS6 apps one has. Otherwise, it would certainly show that two installations had been activated, years ago. So, that solves the problem of my having failed to de-activate one of them, at least (would you not agree?). You may have pointed out that I supplied inconsistent information because I mentioned an old machine that has P.S. CS6 installed on it. I hope I never will have any need to use that machine (for one thing, it's defective, in some respects), but at least, when I installed P.S on it, years ago, I did activate it. That would count as one of my installations. My current situation is that I believe that the partition on which the P.S. installation will not launch has some kind of bug (my Safari is playing up, also), so I intend to freshly install High Sierra, then try installing P.s. CS 6 on that, and see how it goes. This may take a while, as my free time is very limited (and re-installing and setting up an operating system takes forever — it's like moving house), but in due course, I shall come back to this forum.

With kind regards,

True to form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're correct.  your adobe account that shows your ps cs6 serial number should show the activations of that serial number IF that's the only account with that serial number.  ie, hopefully it's not possible to use the same serial number in more than one account, but i'm not sure it's impossible.  it may have been possible to purchase/register with one account and then later re-register with another account.  that's no longer possible, but i'm not sure when that possibility was removed.

anyway, as long as the hardware of the old defective computer where ps cs6 was installed and activated is the same, reinstalling an os and reinstalling ps cs6 should allow deactivation of that ps cs6 if that app was left in the activated state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kglad, time has moved on since our last exchange, and much of what was uncertain or unknown previously is now known for certain (please bear with me, I shall explain).

It turned out that, for whatever reason, when I looked in my Adobe account, I found a notice, somewhere, that said: "You have no activated apps" (or words to that effect). Evidently, Photoshop must have lost interest in checking how many installations on has, of CS6 apps, even though it had stored my P.S. serial number. Anyway, I knew, then, that there was nothing to prevent me from re-installing Photoshop CS6. The problem (for me) would be how to activate it, as at that time, I knew nothing about off-line activation. Finally, I discovered off-line activation, and thought my troubles were over, because my purchased P.S. CS6 Extended was now up and running — kind of, at least.

For me, this was wonderful. However, I now find that the malfuntion that caused me to uninstall P.S. in the first place was still showing. Further, the malfunctioning is showing, not in the same partition, but in an entirely new partition, in which I have freshly installed High Sierra! It seems most unlikely that a pristine installation of P.S. would duplicate the malfunctions that showed in the old installation, and on a different partition, at that.

My limited reasoning ability about this (because of inexperience) seems to tell me that therefore, there must be a hardware problem, but what could that be? Might it be the graphics card, or what? If the graphics card is failing, would it not fail with regard to ALL the functions of Photoshop?

It now high time that I became specific about what the malfunction is. To be as brief as possible, it happens when I want to change the Blend Mode of a layer (not a background layer, of course). In the Layers panel, it is possible to scroll down the long list of possible blend modes that show underneaath "Normal", and if I choose one of them (say, Multiply, or Soft Light), the name of the Blend Mode will highlight slightly, as one might expect. However, the layer does not change its appearance in the slightest degree — the Blend Modes are not working.

I have tried restoring the P.S. Preferences to the default settings. I have tried (in Preferences > Performance) turning off the Graphics accelerator, or whatever it is called. I have tried re-setting the drawing speed, and more, but nothing cures the malfunction. Can you offer any helpful response to what I am reporting? Especially whether it could (or cannot) be caused by a failing graphics card.

I should be very grateful for your considered opinion.

True to form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

about the ps in-app problem: ask in the ps forum. don't start with installation problems.  ask about the blend mode issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the serial number attached to my account but, the activated devices page doesn't show any of the three devices. Ironically, I asked support to deauthorize the devices connected to the serial number years ago and they never got back to me. So I was stuck deauthorizing and reauthorizing a single use every time I got a new laptop. My theory is that their inability to follow up on fixing this issue for me when I had asked them to is what led to my serial number just suddenly being revoked. At least I want to tell myself this is the reason rather than them simply revoking just to milk me annually since falsely saying my number is fraudelent sounds better on paper than stealing my legally purchased copy of CS6 from me.

I just know that in my case, the fraudulent accusation probably is rooted in how I changed my email for my account a few years ago and they just forgot to migrate my registered devices; leading them to think it was illegal rather than looking further into the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know this isn't going to be helpful to you but adobe commonly revokes serial numbers years after the original purchase because

1. the same serial number was found to be used by someone else

2 the vendor was found to be reselling volume versions

3. the same serial number was found online.

4. probably other things too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there's a good chance that someone just managed to guess the serial number associated with my account to use for their pirated copy and I have to pay for it by losing access to mine. Isn't the whole point of having a page to show which devices are authorized so I can keep track of if someone is illegally using my number? Whereas on my account, it just straight up doesn't say if any devices are authorized and haven't in years. I just booted up two days ago and Adobe just decided to revoke my number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the tracking only works if you register with adobe and you sign into the same account that was used years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the thing. It is registered to my account but a few years back, it stopped showing the authorized devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's nothing more to be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently in the EU, when I'm usually in North America. I opened my old precious MacBook Pro for the second time in four months to use my beloved photoshop cs6 extended. A pop up appeared informing me that the license would be terminated in five days, when in fact it had already been terminated. I've since been told by Adobe basically that it was not legal to sell this in my zone. The question is was it legal to sell in a different zone?  I realize that it could have been installed on another computer prior to this. The pop up comes up incessantly, rendering the old computer impossible to use while online. Adobe should not be punishing the unwitting consumer in place of the person that sold the product. They're certainly not offering anything in exchange for removing the product. Adobe has reached its tentacles into my precious computer. What is the highest OS that Photoshop cs 6 extended work on?  Will this product perform correctly without internet?  Thank you for helpful suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if a license problem has already been detected diconnecting from the internet will not resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is 12 years old and way beyond it's 3-5 year shelf-life.  Adobe can't help you with support for discontinued legacy software.

MODERN OPTIONS:
=============
FREE Acrobat Reader -- view, comment, print & sign PDF.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html

Paid Acrobat Pro DC -- the complete solution for creating and saving PDF.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/acrobat-pro.html

Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements (no subscription needed).
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 12 months). Includes the following:

• Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
  • Camera Raw
  • Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
  • Lightroom Classic
  • Portfolio website + hosting
  • Adobe Express (free starter plan)
  • Bridge
  • 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Premium Adobe Express ($10/month). Mobile & web-based graphics & video apps for social media content creators.
https://helpx.adobe.com/express/using/express-overview.html

Creative Cloud (Single or Bundled Apps & Services for mobile, web, desktops)
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CS6 works perfectly fine. Its just a matter of if you want to deal with being strongarmed into paying to regain access to it.

History repeats itself.

Old cars rarely break down so auto companies weren't selling new cars because no one needed new ones if the current one works just fine so they would only bring old cars in for servicing.

To avoid going out of business, auto companies introduced cars with newer features while refusing to service older ones; forcing consumers to either learn how to fix the issues themselves or buy a new car.

The new car is made with cheaper parts (and ones exclusively produced by the manufacturer), so when the "new" car breaks down, the manufacturer acts like they have the solution to fix every problem while also fabricating an issue that the consumer will rely on the dealer/manufacturer to resolve.

This is no different.

While the CS6 is discontinued, they removed your ability to see what devices are authorized so then it was just a matter of time. In reality, there are fixes, they just won't help you with it (unless you're capable of doing something absurd like produce a 12-14 year old receipt proving your license isn't fraudulent so they have no choice but to honor it and reinstate your license). Its a manufactured issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I'm dealing with a similar situation but Adobe straight up revoked my serial number to force me to get something else by claiming my serial number that I've had for 10 years is "fraudulent". Its infuriating and probably some of the worst business practices I've seen from a company ever. It's literally "The Crew" all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I reached out to customer support, they said if I could somehow find my receipt from 2014, they could reinstate it. So I'm currently in the process of turning my house upside-down to find it and its starting to take a toll on my health mentally, emotionally, and physically because I've never felt so robbed in my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you pay with credit card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have but this again goes back 10 years so I've been frantically searching my house for it since I remember what the receipt looked like. I have the physical box, CD and the serial number printed on it but apparently that's not enough for Adobe. So I'm gonna keep looking until I find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines