Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Help! Bought a new computer, can't figure out how to migrate CS6

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 or so years ago, I bought CS6. I don't remember where I bought it, only that it was at a brick & mortar store. The computer I installed it on (Windows XP? with multiple upgrades, ending at Win 10) is starting to fail, so I bought a new computer. Now I want to install the program I spent hundreds of dollars on onto my new computer, but it has no CD drive. 

So I reached out to Adobe through the chat feature at the bottom right side of the website. The rep I ended up talking to asked for the email address where I registered CS6 originally. I have changed email addresses dozens of times throughout the years. I gave them 3 different email addresses that I could remember, and none of them matched anything they had in their system. 

So they asked for the serial number. After an hour of trying to figure out where to find that, I eventually found the answer on Google, which was to open CS6, click on the "Help" menu, then "System Info" and scroll down a little to find the serial number. I sent them a screenshot of the serial number, at their request. 

They told me that serial number isn't registered with Adobe. Well, that's most likely because I didn't register it back then. I don't typically register the things I buy, so it's doubtful that I registered it back then. The rep told me to post in the forums to see if anyone can help me. I asked to speak to a manager and was again told to post here in the forums. 

I don't have the box or documentation that came with it, only the CD, and after moving house 4 times since I bought CS6, I'm impressed that I even found that. But it's of no use to me since my new computer doesn't have a CD drive. 

I just want to get CS6 installed on my new computer. The program that I spent $$$ on and expect to be able to use for as many years as it's supported (and even beyond that, unsupported), as I've done for the past ~10 years. 

Can anyone here help me? 

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

download from prodesigntools .

install using compatibility mode

activate with your serial number 

adobe download links prior to cc 2020 are available from prodesigntools.com. https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-direct-download-links.html

follow the directions (esp, step 1)

save the install file.  it may not remain online.

thank jim @ prodesigntools.com

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @kglad ! This may sound stupid, but when they say "free Adobe account" is that the one I'm using to sign in to be able to post in the forums, or is there something else I must do?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your forum sign in is sufficient.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A serial number is 6 groups of 4 numbers... do you have all 6 groups?

Lost information https://community.adobe.com/t5/account-payment-plan-discussions/trying-to-re-install-adobe-2020-need...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I went through the steps in my OP ("help" then "system info") it showed me the serial number. It's 20 digits long. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no. it's 24 numbers.

you can recover it using belarc.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will go try that now. So then, what is the serial number listed within the program? I'm so confused.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's no serial number in help.

use https://www.belarc.com/products/belarc-advisor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I went through the Belarc thing, and was relieved to find a number that was 6 groups of 4 numbers, but when I try to enter that as the serial number, it says it's an invalid number. Most likely because I never registered it. Now what? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

registration is irrelevant.

the installation file must match the serial number.  ie, exactly what cs6 program or suite is installed on your old computer?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on "about" it says 
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Version 13.0 x64

What other information can I give you to help me with this? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open the "System info" under "help" it gives me a ton of information. Not sure if any of this is helpful or not (I only copied the first few lines):

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64
Operating System: Windows NT
Version: 6.2
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:12, Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that doesn't mean your serial number is for ps.  it could for a suite that includes ps.

and there are several different license types (region, enterprise etc).

look at the cd.  what's it say?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 Extended is on the CD.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do your old and new computers have usb ports?

if yes, copy the cd contents to a usb stick and use the stick to install on your new computer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.  keep us updated.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lite27345779q5pt  I don't understand what you posted. An app for a medical program?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that was a spam post, now deleted. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If legacy CS6 fails to work due to it's advanced age and status  -- discontinued, unsupported & never built to run on Win11, you could replace it with modern software.

Photoshop Elements 2023 (no subscription required).

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 12 months). Includes the following:

• Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
  • Camera Raw
  • Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
  • Lightroom Classic
  • Portfolio website + hosting
  • Adobe Express (free starter plan)
  • Bridge
  • 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
  • Free upgrades for paid subscribers

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

Nancy O'Shea, Product User & Community Expert
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I refuse to spend money monthly for a program that I already spend $$$ on to purchase a lifetime of use. I'm disgusted by Adobe and other companies (Microsoft, et al) nickel and diming customers to death with monthly subscriptions. I'll just take my CS6 and run it for as long as I possibly can. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ShelliBlackRose 

are you making progress?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad  Still trying. Still getting "invalid" for my serial number. Got frustrated so I'm taking a break from it for a while. I'm so stinkin' disgusted right now. It shouldn't be this difficult to migrate CS6 to a new computer. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to say this but I think this is futile.  Why are you trying to run 10+ year old software on a shiny new computer? 

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having a new system? 

Your new computer is light years ahead of legacy CS software in every way.  The two things have about as much in common as elephants and tea leaves.  

Do yourself a favor and get new software that's compatible with your new system. You'll have way fewer problems in the long run.

Nancy O'Shea, Product User & Community Expert
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines