Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High memory usage by creative cloud desktop

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

my Creative Cloud Desktop application uses 100% of my computer memory (RAM) and then after a few minutes it crashes.

I don't find any solution how to solve this. So, for now my adobe application don't get any updates.

I already try a full uninstall / cleaning / reinstall with adobe cleaning tools but the problem is still here.

I also have the latest version, installed from today 29.05.2020.

Does anyone have an idea what to do?

OS: Windows 10 Business version 2004 build 19041.264 with latest updates.

Computer: DELL Precision 5820

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Ok, thanks for trying to help.

I finally identified the problem myself and I've found a workaround.

If someone else expected this, it comes from the Internet default connection settings registry key.

The reg keys concerned are DefaultConnectionSettings and SavedLegacySettings under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections].

Here were the values I had and which causes the high memory usage and the crash of the computer:

Windows Registry Editor Versi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything new?

Nobody has this problem?

The problem is still there with the new version of Creative Cloud Desktop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't let that Adobe app run. There is no need for it to start with the system. You don't need it running to use all the other Adobe Programs. I also turn off all the Totally Stupid Auto Update features.

Give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answer.

Yes, this is what I've done actually.

But, this app starts automatically again when an update of some adobe product is available.

And then the problem will occur again.

And without it you won't be alerted when an update is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If software is working, why do you need all the latest updates?  I often skip the dot updates entirely.  And I only upgrade when I want to, after all the bugs are sorted.

I have disabled notifications and auto updates for everything except CC desktop app.  I also disabled CC desktop app from auto loading on startup from my operating system's settings.  The only time I open CC desktop app is when I need it for something I can't do any other way.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If software is working, why do you need all the latest updates?"

Did you really just write that? 

Is this the state of the Adobe community support? Actually I'm not surprised this is an Adobe forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for trying to help.

I finally identified the problem myself and I've found a workaround.

If someone else expected this, it comes from the Internet default connection settings registry key.

The reg keys concerned are DefaultConnectionSettings and SavedLegacySettings under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections].

Here were the values I had and which causes the high memory usage and the crash of the computer:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections]
"DefaultConnectionSettings"=hex:46,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,09,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,07,00,00,00,2a,2e,6c,6f,63,61,6c,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
"SavedLegacySettings"=hex:46,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,07,\
  00,00,00,2a,2e,6c,6f,63,61,6c,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

and here the workaround:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections]
"DefaultConnectionSettings"=hex:46,00,00,00,06,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
  00,07,00,00,00,2a,2e,6c,6f,63,61,6c,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
"SavedLegacySettings"=hex:46,00,00,00,06,00,00,00,09,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,07,\
  00,00,00,2a,2e,6c,6f,63,61,6c,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi newbie here,

Thanks to Dany67 for the fix. It seems to have worked for me. However, Adobe CFHelper is still guzzling memory and the only way to end that task in Task Manager is to shut down CC Cloud desktop.exe, which of course I was hoping to avoid with this fix.. Do you or anyone else know of a solution for that?

Thanks in advance! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the same thing happen...

Edge was starting to behave weird, and when opening the task manager Windows told me "I was low on memory" and showed me a list of programs with memory usage in %. Nothing was really high there.

After closing that 'mini task manager' and trying again I got the 'real' one, this showed me 'adobe cloud desktop.exe' was using over 8gb of RAM. 'End task' and yay, everything works again.

That's what I get for opening Photoshop that one time a month.

Maybe just rename the .exe to something else, so it can't be autostarted? When you want to update to a newer version, you can always restore it or just install the Creative Cloud app again (since it probably got updates anyway).

The OP in this thread gave some 'magic registry keys' which I don't advise to just blindly copy over. It's binary data, and probably different for every system. What it does mean is that it's internet-connection-related.

My firewall is blocking all apps except a few I have whitelisted, so the 'adobe creative desktop.exe' (or whatever it was called) had no internet connection. So apparently there is a memory leak in the program retrying to connect to the net for long times.

I'm normally always for updating programs to keep fixes applied, but just as with a BIOS update, for Adobe programs the rule "if it works do not fix it" applies very much. Install the apps, completely disable all background processes in 'Services', in 'Task Manager - Startup' and in the 'Task Scheduler', rename exe files to something else of programs you do not want to start. On;y if you encounter bugs, go look if there is an update that might fix it.

The latest Photoshop release is something to avoid anyway, so you're not missing out (nothing but new bugs and problems apparently).

All that background stuff and Library-sync-drivers might be fine for people using it daily. But for people using their PC for something else and actually having no interest in the whole 'cloud' aspect, Adobe is annoying A.F.

I wish I could remove cloud-sync (never stored anything in their cloud and not planning to). Yes, you can 'pause it', but you can't easily remove the low-level drivers it installs.

I wish that you could tell 'do not look for updates', and that nothing would start, but yet it uses 3 (if not more) places to litter autostarting and/or background apps. Just start the license-service when an app start, do your thing, and go away again.

I don't mind their subscription model much.. I do _hate_ (and I mean _really hate_) the way their software is structured these days. No libraries, no sync, no stocks, no NodeJS content inside of Photoshop.. just let me use the tool I asked for, and nothing else please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, a lot of companies are getting like that , especially with MS Windows itself and a lot of software for it.

They do things like:

1) Unnecessarily autostart.

2) Eat up a lot of RAM ( ~2GB for Windows 10 vs 0.5GB for Linux mint xfce 20.1 )

3) Install a lot of useless malware, bloatware (cloud-sync, windows autoinstalls onedrive etc.,)

4) Ask our email ID for "free trials" , then take our cash , and then steal our data to follow us with lots of ads & tracking all around the web.

5) Use vulnerable and insecure software ( Adobe still uses End Of Life Adobe flash )

THE SOLUTION:

I stopped using adobe first, then I ditched Windows. I am now a happy user of Linux Mint (linuxmint.com) .

No worries about eating our RAM, installing viruses, malware, bloat etc.,

Linux is just clean and joyful.

Use GIMP (gimp.org) instead of Adobe Photoshop.

Use Linux instead of Windows.

Use free and open source software instead of proprietary malware.

Note: Open Source means you can read and understand what is inside your computer (opposed to sofware others make for their commercial benefit), and free ( as in free speech ) means you are the master of your computer ( Adobe, Microsoft etc., are NOT the masters of your computer anymore ) .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, defaultaxpa2s0z2pya, now that you are free forever from Adobe's influence on your computer, thank you for taking the time to register on Adobe's site, come to their forums, and share your opinions on how we don't need their apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines