• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can i install purchased Photoshop cs5 on macbook pro M1?

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can i install purchased Photoshop cs5 on macbook pro M1?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

There is no way to install CS5 on an M1 running Monterey.

You'll have to dual boot with CS5 on an external hard drive running Mojave or earlier. [Update: Not an option for an M1 Mac]

Or sign up to a Cloud plan and run the current version of Photoshop natively on your M1.

You could try a Cloud plan for free for 7 days. If you choose not to purchase you MUST cancel the trial before the 7 days expires or it will automatically sign you up to a paid plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

No, Parallels won't work in this case. I hoped it would, but Parallels on an M1 computer will only run M1 systems (just as Parallels on an Intel computer will only run Intel systems). 

No, dual boot won't work. M1 computers can only run Big Sur or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

No, we explained it's impossible to run CS5 on an M1 Mac. You need to budget for all new apps with a new Mac. It's part of the Joy Of Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to install CS5 on an M1 running Monterey.

You'll have to dual boot with CS5 on an external hard drive running Mojave or earlier. [Update: Not an option for an M1 Mac]

Or sign up to a Cloud plan and run the current version of Photoshop natively on your M1.

You could try a Cloud plan for free for 7 days. If you choose not to purchase you MUST cancel the trial before the 7 days expires or it will automatically sign you up to a paid plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way possible unless you purchase Parallels for Mac (80 Euros/year) and install Mojave on Parallels virtual machine.  That's assuming you have a valid CS5 installation disk and serial number for Mac.  If you have Windows software, you'll need to install Windows 10 on Parallels.

The other option is to buy a Creative Cloud plan for your new Monterey machine.

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 12 months). Includes the following:
- Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
- Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
- Lightroom Classic
- Portfolio website + hosting
- Spark with premium features
- Bridge
- 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps (51 + apps & services) and Single Apps Plans
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away! Real Adobe employees will never reach out via Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail or Skype.
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Parallels won't work in this case. I hoped it would, but Parallels on an M1 computer will only run M1 systems (just as Parallels on an Intel computer will only run Intel systems). 

No, dual boot won't work. M1 computers can only run Big Sur or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Test Screen Name,

Yes, you're right.  M1 chip computers are a different beast. 

The OP will need an older Mac computer to run old Mac software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy

I was funded to buy multi user educational versions for my editing courses. it was years ago and i would only start at the adobe website if i were to enter the fray again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever get it installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, we explained it's impossible to run CS5 on an M1 Mac. You need to budget for all new apps with a new Mac. It's part of the Joy Of Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Test Screen Name

Even on Windows systems, you may experience odd behaviour with old software, but I agree, Windows keeps obsolete software longer up and running.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'm possible. 😛

Photoshop editing is a hobby I am trying to learn, so I am have trouble budgeting even taking into account the joy of Mac.

Any recs on an application for ~$150 (one time) that I could learn similar skills on, and then move over to Photoshop when necessary per work/my skills. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements! https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/whats-new.html for $99.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JostVanWilder,

Photoshop Elements requires you run it on Rosetta 2.  See link below for details.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joy of Mac is a contradiction in terms.  

It is like saying Adobe is not a horrific organization that does not do its best to obsolete products sold to its customers in the past.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not do anything to make old programs stop working on new computers

Apple is at fault here for not providing a way to run old programs on new computers

Windows is better at providing compatibility modes for old programs

If you want to run an old Mac program, do not update your operating system... and expecially do not expect an old program to run on new Mac hardware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe started the "Subscription base" software.  CS5 was and will be the last Adobe product I wilkl ever own.  I refuse to "lease" software.

Try running your system Dual boot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

old mac os'es still run old software like cs5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

old software, whether from adobe or anyone else, including apple, failing to run on new macs is an apple decision, not adobe's.

further microsoft does support older software, including adobe's, with no problem so you can install, activate and run cs5 on win 10, and i believe,win 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i run premiere pro CS5 on el capitan, works fine. i'd like to upgrade my OS so which Macos will still run it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DavidM do NOT upgrade your macOS. This old version will be easy to lose. Just don't mess with anything. Consider dual boot if you want new toys as well as old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as stated by @Test Screen Name, don't update your os unless cs5 is expendable to you.

specifically, any os that fails to support 32 bit apps is guaranteed to fail.  other os'es may or may not work for the install and that's to say nothing of the problems you can expect trying to activate your cs5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to upgrade my OS, so which Macos will still run it?

By @davidmcd23

=========

Legacy CS installers won't work on Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave without terminal workarounds.  See below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

CS installers will NEVER work on Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura+. 

Best advice, use the latest OS you can for security reasons but get modern software that's compatible with your device.

Premiere Elements (approx $100, no subscription needed).
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Premium Adobe Express ($10/month).

• Creative Cloud Express app (web and mobile)
  • Premiere Rush (video editor for desktop and mobile)
  • Photoshop Express (mobile)
  • Spark Video (mobile)
  • Spark Page (mobile)
  • Adobe Portfolio + hosting
  • 100 GB of cloud storage
  • All premium templates and design assets including the collection of over 160 million royalty-free Adobe Stock photo collection.

https://helpx.adobe.com/express/using/express-overview.html

Creative Cloud All Apps (51 + apps & services) and Single App Plans
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Make sure your computer meets the minimum CPU & GPU requirements. Most Creative Cloud apps work on:

• Windows 11 (64-bit), Windows 10 versions 21H2, 21H1, 20H2,
  • macOS 12 (Monterey), macOS 11 (Big Sur), macOS 10.16 or 10.15 (Catalina).

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Black Friday deals end on Nov 25th.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. it was more of a chin stroking excercise tbh. i have a mac mini connected to my tv but have never used it for editing. as a test i installed both cs5/6  on it while it was running El Cap and both ran and i upgraded to Mohave and they appear to load but have never tried to edit anything in case it was unstable.

I've looked at CC and it doesn't tempt me, renting software feels odd. Also it miffs me that access is effectively cut off unless you constantly renew. i paid a bucket load of cash on both plus The REAL Final Cut pro. i have two mac pros running all three but they are effectively offline editors. For the film making and editing i do, i don't need the bells and whistles. i'm in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp i suppose.

I really appreciate the replies though. Thank you all

i intend to have a browse around the forums here though.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just comes across the elements versions but not sure its "enough" for what i do. between two stools every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines