• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Install Ps to a Win 10 non-C: Drive + Sync'ing Impacts/Coordination?

Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Win 10 Pro desktop PC's C: drive is very full. I want to install Ps 2022/Lr 2022, any other Adobe CC 2022 app of interest to my F: drive.

Vital factors I must consider when doing this:

1- I want to keep Ps 2020 & 2021 operational on my PC w/out uninstalling them or making any changes to them (whatsoever....). They are both installed to my C: drive.

2- I want any Prefs, menus settings, brushes, actions, 3rd party plugins, skies (for sky replacement), etc. that I currently have installed & working perfectly in Ps 2021 ported into my new 2022 apps.

Questions:

1- If I go to the my desktop CC > Prefs > Apps > Install Location and select the F: drive will that install any/all Adobe 2022 apps I update to my F: drive - or must I set up that install loc on an app x app basis?

2- If I set my custom install location to F: for the Adobe CC 2022 (and future) updates will they be able to find, sync and bring forward all the items I noted in my 2nd paragraph above (vital factors paragraph) from Ps/Lr/Dn 2021, etc. that are located on my C: drive?

3- What is the "sync'ing" location setting for? Must I change that to F: too to keep program elements together? What will that impact? Will it affect my ability to sync settings from my prior versions of Adobe apps if they are on diff. drives?

Thx for any help! I don't want to mess with installs then deal with uninstalls/rollbacks or anything that could mess up my current Ps/Lr/Dn implementations. And, I don't want to end up with a C: drive with no headroom to operate either. I'm not especially tech-y (meaning no messing with registries, etc.) so appreciate the assistance!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. any installs after a change in install drive/directory will be to the new drive/directory (assuming they're valid).  previous installs will not be changed.  when updating, you'll be given the option to uninstall your previous version.  you do not want that.

2.  you can't use the root of any drive.  create, at least, one directory in the root of your f drive and install in that directory (or a subdirectory).

3.  syncing is for files that you want to sync across your devices.  they do not have to be adobe related though that's the purpose.  your install location is independent of your sync location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. That helps!

I did a search of the discussion forums before posting & thought I saw that someone else who wanted to do this for the same reason I do (around this time last year for Ps 2021) found the installs still went to the Adobe default drive (vs. their custom drive). So I just wanted to be sure a personal install drive designation would actually work.

That helps to know what the sync'ing refers to. I won't be sync'ing across devices. I only use a solitary PC for my Adobe work. So I won't mess with that. And, also good to know previous CC app installations will be unaffected.

When I 'scouted' the Adobe CC install prefs options today I was expecting I'd see the full hierarchical path to where Adobe apps would typically be installed by default, and all I'd have to do was remove C: and replace it with F:  No such luck... (Other software I use - like from Topaz Labs works that way & there's no chance for me to install anything in a wrong folder). Do you know which folder path is the proper one for me to select (once in my desired drive)? Should I find a Program Data option on F: ? If someone from Adobe sees this, the full path for me to "browse" and enter would be very useful to know (to ensure a clean install and no issues for future uninstalls). Thx again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines