• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to reinstall InDesign on older mac

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running an older powermac. I don't want to buy a new computer, this one is still plenty fast and capable. But, it won't install an OS past High Sierra (10.13)

So, everything was running great until a couple of days ago, when something in Indesign got corrupted. Now, my command, option, shift, control key combinations don't work; for example, I can't use option-drag to make a copy, or I can't use shift-drag to scale or constrain. That absolutely is a deal killer.

All I want to do is reinstall Indesign 2018, which is the latest version of Indesign this OS can run. But, there's no option to reinstall. I followed the instructions on Adobe's and it advises to uninstall Indesign, then Reinstall. But, the only option to reinstall once this is done, is the current incompatible version.

That required a restore from backup to resolve (And, no restoring from backup didn't fix the command keys issue)

Now I'm stuck. How do in reinstall Indesign 2018 when I can't install the current version in order to get to the pulldown menu to access 'older versions'?

I went in to the creative cloud app 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Hi @james cecorn,
Only the latest two versions of the Creative Cloud apps are supported and available for download. You can try and download the older versions of the Creative Cloud apps from the following website. If the links mentioned on the website don't work, then it means that Adobe has discontinued providing the download and genuine installers are not available anymore. Be circumspect if someone contacts you claiming to provide an installer in such a case.
https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2018-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @james cecorn,
Only the latest two versions of the Creative Cloud apps are supported and available for download. You can try and download the older versions of the Creative Cloud apps from the following website. If the links mentioned on the website don't work, then it means that Adobe has discontinued providing the download and genuine installers are not available anymore. Be circumspect if someone contacts you claiming to provide an installer in such a case.
https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2018-direct-download-links.html
-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It's too late tonight to dive in to trying to uninstall/reinstall. But, I was able to get the standalone installers. So, I'll archive those for future use, as it looks like 2018's days are numbered.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have not uninstalled InDesign you should not do so. In most cases it is enough to reset preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for a monthly subscription for InDesign - credit card was billed - and then when I tried to download the message is that my OS is incompatible (I'm running High Sierra and can't upgrade the OS any further). I've spent hours researching how to downlaod a legacy version but there seems no way to do so. The link supplied by Manan just takes me straight back into the Creative Cloud installer and the same message - I have to upgrade my OS.

1) *Is* there a way to dowload a legacy version of InDesign that I can run on High Sierra (I've paid for it!)?
or
2) Is there a way to get a refund for a product that was sold to me and that I can't use (at the time of purchase there was no indication given by Adobe that my OS would be incompatible)? I'm not in North AMerica and can't call the 1-800 number, and the Virtual Assistant is useless, so I can't find any way to make contact with Adobe.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the last version computer with your os was id v 15. if you contact adobe support you can get a link for that.

there are 3 ways to contact adobe; chat, phone and twitter:

chat:
use a browser that allows popups and cookies, and click here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human.

phone:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

twitter:
tweet @AdobeCare

p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative. ie, double check for an employee badge if contacted in the forums and look for an adobe.com domain in the email address if you click reply to an email. then check again and be very suspicious. any other method of contacting (or offering to contact you) is almost certainly a scam, https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/staying-safe-in-the-adobe-support-com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much kglad.

I went back to the link provided by Manan and realised that I hadn't scrolled down to the tables. I was able to download a 2018 version which installed and, so far, appears to be working.

So thanks Manan too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

p.s. that's 2 major versions older than your os will support.  but if it works and does what you want, there's no reason to update it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines