• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop Creative Cloud from launching when Photoshop starts?

Contributor ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Settings > General > Launch Creative Cloud at login" is NOT checked.

"Settings > Apps > Auto-update" is NOT checked.

"Settings > Notifications > App Updates" (and all other notifications) is NOT checked.

However, after the most recent update, Creative Cloud launches when I start Photoshop, and pops up a notification to tell me there are updates to my apps. What part of do not launch / do not update / no notifications does Adobe not understand?

How do I stop Creative Cloud from launching EVER under ANY circumstances, except when I manually run the exe myself?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

The hacky workaround is totally obvious in retrospect.

I renamed:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe

to something else (something rude! lol).

Also these files and every EXE in these folders for good measure (I was in a mood):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\ADS\Adobe Desktop Service.exe

I switched back and forth a few times to confirm: Photoshop no longer starts up

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell Windows to not open Creative Cloud on startup.

Start > Settings > Apps > Startup...

That said, today Creative Cloud did not open but I did receive a Windows notification that CC updates are available. I think that's because I don't accept automatic updates.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear: Creative Cloud is NOT STARTING WHEN WINDOWS BOOTS, it's starting when Photoshop starts.

I should have also specified:

"Windows > Settings > Apps > Startup > Creative Cloud" (and all adobe products) are NOT starting when windows loads.

"Windows > Services > AdobeUpdateService" is set to Startup Type DISABLED

I've searched Photoshop for settings relating to auto-updating or cloud but didn't find any.

I did leave two Adobe DRM services in place: Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service & Adobe Genuine Software Monitor Service set to Automatic startup type, as I assume photoshop needs them to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open CC Desktop App. Settings > Syncing > Pause Sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, Sync was already disabled too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce your problem on my end.  When all else fails, use the Adobe Cleaner Tools followed by a fresh install of CC and PS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hacky workaround is totally obvious in retrospect.

I renamed:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe

to something else (something rude! lol).

Also these files and every EXE in these folders for good measure (I was in a mood):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\ADS\Adobe Desktop Service.exe

I switched back and forth a few times to confirm: Photoshop no longer starts up Creative Cloud when I run it. No error messages. And I can still run Creative Cloud manually when I want to.

That red update reminder will no longer plague my working days. Free at last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like there's a very hidden setting deep in either CC or PS that instructs PS to check for updates when it boots. But I couldn't find anywhere in either app to turn it off. Maybe it's just a feature of the newest PS that can't be disabled, but then I'm not sure why @Nancy_OShea couldn't immediately recreate it.

Maybe scrubbing and reinstalling everything would have fixed it but HELL NO that takes all day and I'm not confident I could keep all my custom settings / brushes / actions / hotkeys without also keeping whatever was causing the problem in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a way to disable the simultaneous startup without the hacky workaround? I would prefer not to deal with deleting the old executables when Creative Cloud decides to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright this is a bit long, but I'd say that it's less janky, the only thing I can't figure out is AdobeIPCBroker, attempts at removing it caused stuff to break, so a second script is needed once you've exited to clean the leftover.

Usage:

1:

- Make a backup folder for some of the files (you could also rename them, although I prefer to have the backups centralized in a folder with specified path names as their folder paths)

2:

- Go to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\IPCBox"

- Cut AdobeIPCBroker.exe and paste it into your backup folder

3:

- Go to: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud Experience"

- Cut CCLibrary.exe and paste it into your backup folder

4:

- Go to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\IPC"

- Cut CCXProcess.exe and paste it into your backup folder

5:

- <Removed by Moderator>

6:

- Run Creative_Cloud_Clean_Launcher.bat and choose the program you want to open

7:

- Whenever you're done using any CC programs and have them closed, run CC_Exit.bat, it will kill any remnants (`AdobeIPCBroker.exe` is really only one)

Here's the thing, it's possible to make all this into an .ahk script, however, I don't really have the time for it atm. It's been a while since I've messed with .ahk scripts, I may do it at some point though.

More detailed <Removed by Moderator> if you're curious

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why were certain lines removed from your post, I wonder?  They may have been critical to its usefulness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spam is removed in accordance with forum guidelines.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/adobe-support-community-guidelines/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue where the creative cloud background processes were running by default on startup. I contacted Adobe support, who informed me that this behaviour is by design and there is no current plan to address it. After finding nothing online which fixed the issue, I performed a few tests and the following settings are working for me:

1. Open Adobe Creative Cloud, select File - Preferences - General, Uncheck "Launch Creative Cloud at login".

2. Open windows Task Manager, select "Startup" tab, right-click on all Adobe applications and select "Disable" (not forgetting to disable CCXProcess, whose publisher is not listed on my machine).

3. Open "Run" from Start menu, open "msconfig". In "General" tab, choose "Selective startup" with "Load system services", "Load startup items", and "Use original boot configuration" checked. In "Services" tab, uncheck all services with "Adobe Inc." as manufacturer (in my case there were two: "Adobe Acrobat Update Service", and "AdobeUpdateService").

My applications (Photoshop, Lighroom, Bridge) are working fine so far with the above settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My particular issue (Creative Cloud reminding me to update every time I launched Photoshop) went away late last year when I upgraded the entire suite, so I guess it was a bug and Adobe fixed it.

Your steps sound like the surefire way to stop CC from launching when windows does!

Since my problem wasn't at boot but later when I opened Photoshop, I tried setting all the adobe services to disabled so they couldn't run at all. Turns out one of them handles DRM license checks, and Photoshop refused to start without it (at least back in 2020).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getting this too on the Mac. 

once again, a miserable decision from adobe and an unwanted UX decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hatshatahsththstst 

you can make suggestions to adobe here:

for applicable apps, use https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

for others, use https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm honestly not seeing the problem with associated services running alongside Photoshop.

And hacking at things to stop it could end with you locked out of your apps. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the problem: 

Interruptions and demanding attention when I'm mid-workflow. When I'm ready to update, I will. Me opening a file or lanching software shouldn't be launching separate apps that pop up in front of me when I'm on a deadline and need to get things done. It's an interruption, pure and simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hatshatahsththstst 

in your cc desktop app settings, disable automatic app updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @kglad said, disable automatic App Updates, also disable Notifications.

Close CC Desktop app with Ctrl + W > Quit (Windows).

Remove CC Desktop App from launching on startup from your OS Startup settings.

Hope that helps.

Merry Christmas!

❄ ☃ ❄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have auto-updates turned on, and I don't have notifications turned on. It pops randomly when it feels like it. Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 3.33.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i don't think it's worth trying anything other than the reset:

reset the cc desktop app by making sure it's in the foreground, then press:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

if that fails, repair per https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

if that fails and you have windows, open your control panel > add/remove programs > cc desktop app > repair

if that fails, uninstall using the correct uninstaller from https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes... and then reinstall using*

if that fails, do a clean cc install carefully following each applicable step:

uninstall every cc app including preferences per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, again using the correct uninstaller per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes...

clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

check for, and if available, update your os

if windows is your os, repair all ms visual c++ versions that can be repaired (use google if you don't know how to do this)

if windows is your os update your ms visual c++, if it can be updated (use google if you don't know how to do this)

restart your computer (don't skip this)

reinstall the cc desktop app using the "alternative download links" at the bottom of the page at https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

use the desktop app to install your cc programs/trials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines