I feel robbed. Any way to get around this? [Auto-renewal without my consent. Cannot get a refund.]

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after months of my bank account being milked dry by Adobe because ,as a student, I simply cannot afford to pay the incredibly high cancellation fee, they have automatically renewed my creative cloud plan. After paying for a quote on quote 'ANNUAL PLAN' which has now extended itself to two years, i was incredibly annoyed and went to customer service, knowing that within 14 days of purchase I could cancel it and receive a refund for this months payment.

Sadly, thats not the case. Adobe have written a tiny clause in the contract which states that 'The refund only applies for 14 days after the original purchase, not for subsequent renewals.'

Thats right. After my product renewed itself without my consent or even prior notification, I cannot get a refund. I must pay Adobe half of the original fee. This is honestly a disgusting business practice which has, and will continue to catch alot of people off guard.

It is safe to say i will be paying the cancellation fee outright this time, and i will never be using a paid product of adobe again. Im not annoyed about the automatic renewal anymore, as that is just an algorithm, but i am incandescently angry at the loophole they have inserted to prevent themselves from giving refunds to people who have accidentally renewed.

Unfortunately, nothing will be done about this because Adobe is the biggest company in any form of artistic development applications. Adobe do not care about their users, it is telling from their reviews and just scrolling down on the forums. If you are hesitating on buying a plan from Adobe, DO NOT. Buy the products outright - i have now paid more to 'rent' some adobe applications then i would have spent just buying them.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019
Contact customer care!

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry for your current problems, but you made some statements that are not quite true or misleading. Please note, however, that I'm not Adobe.

ethanb59151983  wrote

Thats right. After my product renewed itself without my consent or even prior notification, I cannot get a refund. I must pay Adobe half of the original fee. This is honestly a disgusting business practice which has, and will continue to catch alot of people off guard.

without my consent: At the time you subscribed, the conditions told you that your subscription would renew automatically after the initial term. That's current practice with annual contracts. Any of my annual contracts renew until I cancel them.

without prior notification: I got yesterday the e-mail that my license is due for renewal in April. So that's a month before renewal actually happens and that let's me plenty of time to ask for any changes to my subscription that I may want to do.

ethanb59151983  wrote

Unfortunately, nothing will be done about this because Adobe is the biggest company in any form of artistic development applications. Adobe do not care about their users, it is telling from their reviews and just scrolling down on the forums. If you are hesitating on buying a plan from Adobe, DO NOT. Buy the products outright - i have now paid more to 'rent' some adobe applications then i would have spent just buying them.

Looking into the forum, you will see by default a lot of users who are in trouble with one or the other app or with their account. That is normal, because that's why the fora are there. however, to conclude from that that there are not a majority of the user quite happy with the software is erroneous, because the thousands of users without a problem will not come to the fora, just to say how happy they are with the products.

FYI, please find here the announcement of the last version of the Adobe products that were available to buy:

Adobe Creative Suite 6 Now Available . You did pay indeed less to subscribe than you paid to buy the product. My estimation at the time was that it was more economical to take the subscription than buying the software and this for a lot of reasons, not only related to the small price tag applied to the subscription price:The Master Collection costed 4.3 times more than the yearly subscription. Even for the price of the Design standard (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat) you could take a 26 month subscription (equivalent of the Master Collection).

Yes, you had a perpetual license, but each OS upgrade could render your software useless. Upgrades did cost also a year or two worth of subscription.

We did extend because of the subscription model, the use of the Adobe products from 4 to 6 licences. This, I agree is a commercial company logic, that is not for individuals. But it shows how well subscription works, also from our view.

Now buying provides you with perpetual licenses. That's true. But if I look at the stock of useless perpetual licenses we have, there is nothing better for our situation to have an economical subscription model.

I've also seen subscription models that were not economical, where we paid more for renting the software than "owning" the license. But with Adobe, even if we would have the choice, we would subscribe.

I'm sure this does not help you in your current situation. For you, I would suggest to contact Adobe (Contact Customer Care ) and ask for the favour of getting the cancellation fee waved. I will not promise that it works! But you have to try.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. My initial statement was very emotionally charged and more of a vent, so exaggerations were plenty - thats my bad. However I am still sticking to my initial concerns about the inability to cancel the CC subscription without paying a 50% of what was owed. - even within a 14 day refundable period, due to it being a renewal. I thought this was relatively unfair as I myself was caught off guard by the renewal, which was down to me. All in all, I should have been more diligent in reading contracts and Ts and Cs. But my statement still stands about being unable to refund it within the 14 day period because it was an auto renewal - if i cancelled my subscription, then bought into another subscription, i would be able to cancel it with a full refund. But when an algorithm/adobe does it for me, I then don't have that privilege? for me it seems strange and slightly unethical.

Abambo wrote

without prior notification: I got yesterday the e-mail that my license is due for renewal in April. So that's a month before renewal actually happens and that let's me plenty of time to ask for any changes to my subscription that I may want to do.

Quick reply to this, i have checked my inbox through and through - the only emails i have recieved regarding my subscription, or even any email regarding adobe in general, have been the payment verifications from paypal. If anyone knows how to fix this

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact customer care!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe really is the worst.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there are others topping Adobe...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a student just finishing high school. I required an Adobe free trial for my Media Arts class. I've only noticed just until that Adobe has been charging me $30 a month. I never remember seeing anything telling me that I would immediately sign into an annual subscription after the free trial ends. Nor' did I receive an email saying that said trial was coming to an end. After looking through my bank account I noticed a charge the charge from adobe and immediately cancelled my plan, but I was then sucked out of 41 extra dollars just to cancel my plan! Can someone tell me why Adobe does not email the user before each monthly payment, there is nothing you can say to make me believe that it is the most disgusting thievery I have ever seen a company do, Safe to say I will never touch another Adobe product again, and I will let everyone I know of what they have stolen from me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ashton,

Sorry to hear it wasn't clearer. This is what it would have looked like when you signed up with your form of payment:

creative-cloud-student-teacher-sign-up.png

...and the next screen:

creative-cloud-student-teacher-sign-up-2.png

Also, the initial year's price for students is US$19.99/month, so it sounds like your subscription was somehow in its second year? ($29.99/month)

Finally, note that any cancellation fee would be waived if you switch to a different plan instead.

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/change-plan.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines