• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If I am a graphic design student, should I get the iPad Pro or the MacBook?

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a college student who recently changed their major to media and communications. In this major, I have previously worked in illustrator and photoshop and going forward I will not only be continuing with these, but also working on video editing, podcast creation and other media related tasks. I am looking to buy a new computer as my current one is having some issues and I am looking at either getting the iPad Pro or a MacBook. I was wondering if anyone had some insight into which would be better for what I am going to be doing. My preference is the iPad, however, I will only be able to use the app versions of Adobe software and want to make sure I will not be missing necessary tools or features that are available on the desktop version. I like being able to use the Apple Pencil and feel a tablet with a keyboard attachment is better for me personally, but again I want to make sure I will be able to do all that is required of me in my major/career.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iOS versions of most Adobe apps just don't exist, for example InDesign will be a core tool for you I imagine. Go for macOS. The iPad, despite Adobe's Apple's marketing, is just a pumped up iPhone, not a general computer. All serious apps in the spaces you mention can also run in Windows, but low end Windows machines won't run the high end Adobe apps (inadequate GPU and SSD especially).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry... despite APPLE'S marketing. Oops...

Moderator note: edited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a Microsoft Surface prior to this, but it started having some issues even after getting it replaced, so I thought switching it up would be good. I loved how it could be a tablet or a computer though. I mainly used it as a computer, but I loved having the touchscreen because it made it a lost easier if I was multitasking or working on something with multiple elements, but I don't want to risk buying another one and have it stop working again in the middle of the school year. Thank you for your insight and help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The important thing is that a Surface Pro is a full Windows computer that can run as a tablet. While an iPad can only be a tablet; it isn't a smaller, lighter Mac and won't run Mac apps. The closest thing in size and weight to a Surface Pro was Apple's "Macbook" (just Macbook without Air or Pro), now discontinued. I like this, it's very portable. (I have to run a Mac to do Mac programming, otherwise I'd use cheaper Windows computers). I also have an iPad, which is a great tablet, but no use for any of my real work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably the best value right now is the 14" MacBook Pro. Upgrade it to 32GB of RAM and yoo are all set. This gives you a full computer and not a tablet which is still limited for available software. I love my iPad but it can't replace my iMac for graphics production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines