• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing apps on a different hard drive, "Cannot install to root path."

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to install my Adobe apps to a hard drive other than the C drive. I find the Install Location option in preferences and when I choose the drive that I want, the app tells me that it "cannot install to root path." This is a non-removable drive and I made sure to format and create a simple volume from the drive. Do I need to put the apps into a specially named folder or something? I can't seem to find the answers.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Hi JNH,

You have mentioned that you would like to install the Adobe Creative Cloud apps on a different drive location of your computer. Yes, you can configure the installation destination from within the Creative Cloud app preferences to do so, however we would suggest you to install your applications on the primary drive or C drive only.

Please be aware that there will still be shared resources stored to your primary drive, In addition during the install process temporary files will also be creat

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this man saves lives. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this should be the correct answer. you're the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still works in 2023, thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the correct answer is still the same:

you can install on any fixed hard drive (as long as it's not a root folder), so you can save significant space on your c drive (esp, if you install several adobe programs).

to move programs from your c drive to another fixed drive:

1. uninstall the adobe programs that you want to move (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html)

2. open the cc application, click file>preferences>apps>and change the install location (to a non-root folder on a local hard drive).

3. install the programs you wanted to move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might not be getting something but I'm trying to install the Adobe apps (Like photoshop, Illustrator, etc) on my D drive instead of the C one. I've created a file in the D drive and on my preferences chose that location for installations, but everytime I dowload any app, it goes to the Adobe file on my C drive, I can even see how it changes the data space left in my C drive, but the D drive remains the same. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you created a folder (not file) on your d drive, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JNH,

You have mentioned that you would like to install the Adobe Creative Cloud apps on a different drive location of your computer. Yes, you can configure the installation destination from within the Creative Cloud app preferences to do so, however we would suggest you to install your applications on the primary drive or C drive only.

Please be aware that there will still be shared resources stored to your primary drive, In addition during the install process temporary files will also be created on your primary drive.

Please see the screen shot below for more information:

Note: If you have already installed apps then you'll have to uninstall them and make the location changes in Creative Cloud Desktop app, after that reboot the machine and now install your apps again and it should install on new selected location.

Let us know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a good suggestion that you only run the program from the same drive as the OS (operating system).   I can't deny that because you can open other cans of worms that may lead to more questions. I have found that it is fine to install on a different drive. I went into my settings and made sure any folders related to cache or anything of the sort was on the same drive I installed adobe on. I've never had any issues running adobe from a drive not share with my OS.  I'm sure there can be issues but I have not had any. My OS is on a m.2 drive that's stand alone. I don't save anything to it. I don't have any issues at all and I push my computer hard. I like the fact I can have Illustrator, photoshop, audition, and premiere pro all open and running at the same time as well as watching my favorite creative content or streaming my own. Never any issues my point but I can't argue that there could be issues. Anything is possible, especially when you just don't know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just discovered the solution!

Changing Install location from Creative Cloud won't help you as it shows the same "cannot install in root path" error.

The trick is simple.

You just have to create a folder say, Adobe/NewVolume(E:) and choose the folder as the new location and proceed further.

I hope this will help.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to see you got it to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet! Looks like the advice has been successful for everyone so far. Happy
creating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! You are brilliant man, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Hey I knew this would help a lot of people. Im glad I took a
minute to let everyone know the deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked like magic for me,. My c drive is full since purchasing adobe and all the apps so I have had no choice but to use the addition almost 1tb of free storage on my d:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Solutioin worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much! This fixed it for me, weird that you can't save it simply to a different drive but making a new folder in that location was the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But my c drive with the OS is full and doesn't have enough space to add another app and I need 1 more. I need to install it on my other drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You CAN install to another drive. Just not to the root directory. Like not to K: or E:. You have to make a folder and install it there.

2. You need a LOT of spare space on the OS drive, you are facing disaster even without Adobe apps - which need a lot of free space to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone in this thread know why they "recommend to install to the C drive only"?  I'm having the same problem now, my C drive is getting full to the end.  I think every computer I've owned the C drive is fairly small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

who said that?

only the cc desktop app (and ancillary files) need to be installed on the c drive.  all the apps can be installed in any non-root folder on any hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bani Verma, above thread. I have gotten it to work now by creating a new folder.  I just have still an issue of a smaller capacity C drive.

Bani Verma â€¢ Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2018
Hi JNH,You have mentioned that you would like to install the Adobe Creative Cloud apps on a different drive location of your computer. Yes, you can configure the installation destination from within the Creative Cloud app preferences to do so, however we would suggest you to install your applications on the primary drive or C drive only.Please be aware that there will still be shared resources stored to your primary drive, In addition during the install process temporary files will also be creat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@josephk38236343, i don't know why she stated that (other than failing to install on your c drive opens the temptation to install on removable drives, network drives and maybe other drives that are problematic.  but if you follow directions, you don't need to install on your c drive.

ie, you can install on any fixed hard drive (as long as it's not a root folder), so you can save significant space on your c drive (esp, if you install several adobe programs).

to move programs from your c drive to another fixed drive:

1. uninstall the adobe programs that you want to move (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html)

2. open the cc application, click file>preferences>apps>and change the install location (to a non-root folder on a local hard drive).

3. install the programs you wanted to move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines